• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to rescind

teachtravel

Reaction score
I just went to a presentation and bought a very large number of HGVC points (given many bonus points) and am having major buyers remorse. The buyers remorse is that we just spent too much money and got more points than are going to be worth it. I read here that I can cancel/rescind that sale. In our paperwork it says that we have 10 days to cancel. What is the process for cancelling? It just says to send a letter. Does that letter need to say anything specific?

Thanks!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Congratulations on your decision to rescind. You just saved yourself a ton.
HGVC is a fine company, but retail prices are absurd. Resale is far better.

Read: http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html
Your letter must be signed by everyone who signed the contract.
It must specifically identify the contract: date, parties, property...
You may want to enclose the face-page of the contract.
Certified mail, return receipt requested, will provide proof of mailing+receipt.
Follow the instructions in your contract to the letter.
Return any materials given to you separately.

teachtravel

Reaction score
Thank you! Just sent our letter off to cancel. We own a small number of points already and like what we've used, but in thinking about it, the huge numbers that were sold to us yesterday just don't make sense.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
now the good news....

Get advice from experienced tuggers. If you feel you need more points....you have options. Resale options.
Take your time and make smart choices.

Congrats! Welcome to TUG!

Reaction score
Personally - I only realized I wanted to rescind on the last day I legally could. So I didn't have time to mail. I called their office and they gave me the contact email of the supervisor who I emailed the rescission letter. A week later, I saw the money for my down payment refunded into my account!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Personally - I only realized I wanted to rescind on the last day I legally could. So I didn't have time to mail. I called their office and they gave me the contact email of the supervisor who I emailed the rescission letter. A week later, I saw the money for my down payment refunded into my account!
I'm so glad it worked out for you, and you were fortunate that you dealt with honest people who gave you the correct email.

But the best advice we can give people who come to TUG asking for help in rescinding is to follow rescission instructions exactly as given in the purchase contract. It is especially important that a rescission letter be sent by certified mail so that the sender has proof they complied with the terms of the contract.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so glad you found TUG in time to save a fortune!

we hope you use those savings to have some amazing vacations in the future!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Wow, I am glad that worked out for you! Email is not legally binding in most cases, but it looks like HGVC did the right thing here in honoring your rescission. For future reference, legally it doesn't matter when the company receives the rescission letter; it is when it was sent that matters, and that is why you want to send it Certified mail, so you have proof of sending.

Kurt

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Wow. That's close

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Wow, you are very lucky because I really didn’t think that was suppose to happen that way. Congratulations.