• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how to proceed as a redweek RENTER?

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
my sister would like to rent a unit at grand timber lodge. she has contacted the ""owner" thru redweek. he has asked for FULL payment of 2800.00 for week of 3/19-3/26 to be received within 10 days. AFTER check clears , he will add her name to the reservation. how would YOU proceed??
thanks

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Before she sends money, the owner of the unit should provide some sort of verification that he owns the week and that he has paid main. fees. Usually an email to the resort stating that he wishes to rent out the unit and that he wants confirmation of all details for the renter (she should be copied on this correspondence) will verify everything. At least that is what I do. Normally I would ask for half up front then half withn 60 days but this is so close I too would ask for it all up front. After she gets some sort of confirmation from the resort (and it can be a phone call to the resort too) she should send the money.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
First ensure your sister has all of their personal information so that she can track them down if need be ie. full name, address and phone number then check it against an internet service such as www.whitepages.com or something similar. This may sound like overkill but I do it as a matter of course just to ensure this isn't a temporary drop box or something like that (maybe I'm a bit paranoid :rolleyes:).

Redweek has an escrow type service for renters - given the $'s she could use that and offer to pay for the fee (or split it).

If she doesn't want to do that I'd tell them that she will send in $1,000 as a deposit, they can make the reservation in your sister's name and then she will send them the balance owing immediately thereafter. In the interim, before sending them any money at all, I'd request some proof that they actually own the week ie. copy of deed, copy of paid mf bill etc.

If you don't do the above you really have no recourse against this person - they could take the money and run. There's no inherent reason to believe that would be the case but better safe than sorry.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the following

First there needs to be proof that the owner is the owner of the week and has the ability to rent out the week. A fax of their reservation and an 800 phone number is required.

Additionally, and totally optional, you might ask to see a copy of their paid maintenance invoice or credit card print out. This is January and maintenance fees are being collected by many resorts – if the owner doesn’t pay the reservation will be voided. Some owners may or may not supply this.

Second, a lease agreement MUST be signed to describe the duties and responsibilities of both parties. This lease will describe the unit in detail (if it’s a “Presidential” unit is that a 2BR?, get the exact dates for the rental). Is a security deposit required and how is it to be returned?

Until the above are met DO NOT PAY!!!!!!

If possible pay by PayPal – you have some leverage over the person if you should file a complaint. Paying by credit card is NO help if the reservation falls thru – the credit card company will not help you.

As landlord of many a rental I supply the above cheerfully. As a renter I would demand even more. I always ask for 100% the rental up front – you are probably getting a 50% discount and if you need to finance the vacation the credit card route via PayPal is the answer.

I highly recommend trip insurance that will reimburse you if the owner’s reservation has problems. It costs about $250 to cover your airline tickets and lodging. Here is a link I recommend to my renters: http://www.travelguard.com/

The insurance policy is THE most pro-active thing you can do with any rental.

P.S.
You := your sister.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You might want to use an escrow company

The good thing about an escrow company is that they protect the renter. My renter is using an escrow company for that reason. I don't think they are helpful to me as the owner, though. There is an escrow company, First American Title(?), that advertises on redweek.com. That is the one my renter used. They charge $100 but hold the money until after the renter is completely satisfied.

If the renter pays for the escrow co., I wouldn't think any owner would balk at the prospect.

ginsun88

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented a week on Redweek.com

from a Maui Ocean Club owner in August and he sent me a rental agreement, which we both signed.

He asked to be payed via PayPal (I didn't realize they could be used for other transactions beside eBay purchases), and then he had Marriott send me an e-mail indicating the reservations in my name.

This worked out very well at no additional cost. :)

Grace

gidat1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pay pal only..

PerryM said:
If possible pay by PayPal – you have some leverage over the person if you should file a complaint. Paying by credit card is NO help if the reservation falls thru – the credit card company will not help you.

Exact opposite is true. I ordered gold coins through a dealer off ebay. He sent me a paypal bill for $ 3,800.00. Three weeks pass by and no delivery. One stall after other. I complained to Paypal. I was shocked to read that only upto $ 1,000.00 were covered by Paypal. If the money were sent out of the country than they were not covered at all. I was lucky, I paid by Am EXp credit card. They came to my rescue. They reversed the charges after varifying my story. I do not know if it goes past 60 days they would be able to help.

Phil

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
PayPal and carbon copies

Phil,

I wasn’t suggesting that PayPal is the answer to scoundrels who prowl the internet – you can lodge a complaint with PayPal. Link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_buyer_complaint-outside

To file a Buyer Claim link: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...=1400&unique_id=70999&source_page=_home&flow=

When the landlord sends a PayPal invoice to the renter on that eMail from PayPal there is a link to the “Member Information Box” on the “Send Money Confirmation page” which the buyer can click for more information about the buyer. This might help calm payment jitters that the renter has.

The alternative to PayPal is the US Mail and lost checks. I’ve gone thru this a few times before I ONLY accept PayPal (Unless the renter has an outstanding reason not to use it).

Here’s an example of just how bad things can get:

I once had a renter rent a week 52 at Marriott’s MountainSide 5 years ago. The rent was $3,500 with a $350 security deposit for a total of $3,850. I asked the renter to send ONLY a cashiers check to me by mail. Well 2 weeks go by and I sent the renter an eMail wanting to know where the rent check was. He said he sent me the check AND the carbon-copy of the check via first class mail.

So now he wants his reservation and I have no money and the cheek is “in the mail”. A week went by with no letter. The renter had gotten a check from his bank and they wanted him to put up a security bond for $3,850 that would cost several hundred dollars I believe. He was ticked – I was ticked and we went around and around for weeks.

Finally, one day the letter shows up – he had used MS for Missouri on my address (MO is Missouri) and not used a zip code. The letter went to Mississippi for a month before they got it to me.

So use PayPal or if by Cashier’s Check use US Priority Mail with a tracking number.

And don’t send the carbon copy of the Cashier’s Check to the landlord!

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmmmmm

Tjs1970,

Thanks for the link; I’ll investigate.

Initially I’m put off with the description of how bad PayPal is and their recommended solution. I’m assuming they get a bounty for folks signing up somehow.

But I’ll look.