TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

How to buy resale

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by Viazck, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Viazck

Viazck Guest

ok. I think I have read up on this site a bit and I have follow up questions:

If I buy resale, how do I know a good deal.

You have purchase price: could be free to a dollar or so vs more money. Anything I need to worry about buying free or minimal dollars worth?

MF: the pitch I heard had $400 MF (386). I've heard lots of ppl here talking 700+. Do I need to think lower MF is more attractive at all cost? Or is MF tied to value in a way that I don't understand.

Seller: do I need to buy from owner only on this website or go to eBay and buy from pcc? I'm sure there are pccs to stay away from. Any benefit from buying from pcc?

Are all resales weeks only not points?

Do you typically pay for closing costs etc as the buyer or as the buyer should I expect to only pay MF for the next year.

Can I buy a super low amount of points (was offered 40,000/386mf/from Hicv for approx $9,800.) should I buy that outright (I bought the latitudes extension with locked in prices) and then add resale purchases to give our family more points??

Is hicv a good plan for us or are there better options. Hicv only has 26 resorts but the draw was rci and hotel usage. Is this still a good value? Our vacation goals are seeing all 50 states, not necessarily staying in a resort for a week. When we do a state we are constantly moving. We don't mind lower cost hotels but obviously prefer hi level.

Thank you in advance

AwayWeGo likes this.
  2. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    Good questions; it means you are starting your research to determine independently what works for you.

I always recommend renting a couple of times before purchasing; it will tell you what works for you and what doesn't (unit size, season, amenities, location, kid friendliness, etc.).

MF is tied to value. The resort amenities and quality are not free. $400 MF's may mean (but may not mean) that the property is not being properly maintained. Look around the property and draw your own conclusions. Or, look at the HOA budget to see if there are adequate reserves for repairs and replacement.

My favorite resale sites: TUG Marketplace - https://tug2.com/timeshare-classifieds/, www.redweek.com, and www.myresortnetwork.com.

Take your time. Resale prices are not going up.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  3. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Patience, friend. You have much more reading to do.

>weeks vs. points. Anything a developer can sell can be bought resale.
    >private seller vs. pcc. The only difference is the pcc probably has more experience. The product is the same.
    >a low cost, entry level point bundle that gives access to RCI (as in membership is included) can be seen as a +- $100/yr value. You usually cannot add on resale purchases to these accounts, only stand-alone memberships can be added-to. However, if you have an RCI 'Points' membership, you get a 'Weeks' membership at no additional cost.

The rest of your questions are HICV centric. I don't know this system, and they are not widely known on TUG. There are many 'mini systems' as they are known, where one can exchange within the system at a lower cost than, say RCI or II (the 2 major exchange companies). The drawback is that they drift into the 'vacation club' area where there are fewer resorts and access is often by a 'space available' clause. So far, I have not seen a timeshare ownership deal with hotel booking privileges that really lower the cost of a hotel stay significantly.

Now, anything I've said is just from my own observation and experience, and one thing I've learned is that there are exceptions to EVERY generality in timeshares. Whatever can be written into any contract is/can be and someone sold/bought it sometime.

Jim

AwayWeGo likes this.
  4. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Knowing what I know now I would not purchase any deeded type time share. They are tough to get rid of. Having an exit plan before purchasing means not having as much as a problem getting rid of the time share when your tired of it .

I like "right to use" with an expiration date meaning after I buy my contract I only have so many years of use before the contract expires. I think most of my rtu contracts start expiring in 4 - 6 years.

I also like points. I use Worldmark and Vacation Internationale for points.

I will not purchase a single destination timeshare. I like to go to different places.

My plan is to rent after the rtu's expire.

I will keep the Worldmark contracts as I use these frequently and many of the resorts are only a couple hours drive away for me.

Bill

5. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Sent you a PM

6. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    There's a 'newbie survey' that will give you a clue whether timeshares might be right for you and what it might entail to purchase and own resale. What to buy (are timeshares right for me) link here!!!!!Complete the survey and get some suggestions.....

Viazck likes this.
  7. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

I did pretty much the same thing using deeded Fixed Week/Fixed Units at HOA Controlled Independent Resorts. I bought 6 for between $6,000 -$8,000 total. I think the average MF was in the $500 range. Just as with your expiring RTUs I anticipated nothing when I dumped them. Two differences, one positive and one negative (1) the positive - unlike an RTU I could determine when my usage would end and (2) the negative - I had the hassle of giving mine away and/or working out Deed Backs. All in all I think we were trying to accomplish the same thing.

George

easyrider and silentg like this.
  8. VanillaXtracts

VanillaXtracts TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Blue Bay Gtaway
    I purchased 1 old RTU contract and it came with RCI activated by the previous owner so when I purchased it then RCI, with my member fees, created my RCI account.

The home resort then moved the RTU contract to my new RCI account # and also closed the contract link to the previous owner RCI account.

Interesting with our 2nd RTU contract purchase where I didn’t do my homework as deeply. The initial owner had RCI in their contract but never did activate RCI so the home resort won’t activate a link to RCI for me unless I upgrade - so use caution on confirming what you hope will transfer to you with the purchase.

Ask a million questions from the home resort member service team - all via email so you have a record.

easyrider likes this.