• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How often do you replace your family/great room furniture?

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
We rarely buy new furniture, but we recently had our 10+ year old leather sofa and loveseat completely refinished. The sofa has four cushions, and the loveseat has two. They had been torn up by our cats, and there was excessive wear on one end of the sofa. For only $470 someone spent one day at our house re-finishing both pieces. It is not exactly the same old color, and the feel of the leather isn't quite as nice, but they look nearly new. It was totally worth it to get them re-finished.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We bought new sofas and chairs for the living room when we moved into our current house 9 years ago. We have added interesting end tables, coffee table, and lamps over the last 9 years. One end table is made from a wine barrel. The coffee table was from a wood artist in California. One side is a flat table surface and the other side is a game table (checkers/chess, Mancala, and Backgammon) We picked up the floor lamp at a Warehouse sale from the Grimm Series after it shut down production. Another table lamp came from New Orleans 4.5 years ago. It is made from a flute and 2 clarinets. The 3rd table lamp was made by a glass artist in Bandon Oregon. It helps living across from Bush Park, which has a large art fair every July. We have had our bedroom furniture, including mattress and box springs, for about 12 years. We did add a 3 inch topper from Costco a couple years ago.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
No doubt the major lesson in this thread:
NO CATS!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
NO CATS!
That's what we have been saying... after our 2 cats go, one went in Jan of this year, and the other is sick now. That way we can travel more freely. However, we are realizing that a home is very quiet without pets and we prefer cats more than dogs. So we may never get to replace our furniture. Geez. On the other hand I have been tested to be terribly allergic to cat dander and my allergist and PCP have been hounding me to give up our cat(s). Decisions, decisions (after this one goes at some point)...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
NO CATS!
No doubt. I know of no cat that is worth $60K! That one just blew my mind. It is probably my farm upbringing, but there is no way I would keep a cat or any animal who did that type of damage.

Kurt

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I know of no cat that is worth $60K! That one just blew my mind. It is probably my farm upbringing, but there is no way I would keep a cat or any animal who did that type of damage.

Kurt
My husband had been very upset for a long time with the damages done to expensive furniture. But it was his idea to have cats. In the past he had the cats declawed. I refuse to declaw our cats. I told him that we would replace the furniture after both cats go.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is "my" coffee table, aka my "dreaming" table. You will notice a certain theme. LOL! Plus, in our study there is another shelf with just travel books as well.
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We move often (first home bought 1984, then 1991, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2011), all homes within a few minutes of each other. We have had two living room sofas (each one reupholstered once) and three family room sofas during that time. The current home has an oversized living room, so the main area holds the reupolstered sofa and the extra sitting/library area holds the rattan furniture that was in the turret room at our previous home. We haven't got a den or family room in this home because in theory the room off the kitchen is supposed to be the family room, but I set it up with a humongous dining room table that seats ten. The area off the living room we use as sitting/library (used even less than the living room) was the dining room when we moved in.

We miss the days we had cats that shredded sofa fabric -- JB, nick named the Orange Menace, has instead destroyed all the door jambs and the side of the dresser. In the hallway outside the master bedroom he has also destroyed the sheet rock next to the jamb. We stole him from his previous owner when we found him locked in the garage with no water -- he was about a year old at the time and I think he spent his days clawing the wood in the garage which started him on his wood destroying habit. (I'd paid to have him neutered, then for another vet visit when I found him with a hurt leg because I knew the old man he was living with couldn't afford it, so when I found him locked up because the man's son didn't want the cat in the house, I just took him. He'd go back to visit the old man, but quickly figured out he was better fed at our house. If we bring Mexican food or donuts in to this day JB is right there demanding a bite because apparently he was fed table scraps).

Thank you for opening your heart and your home to a kitty in need! It takes a special person to not only notice a pet in distress but to take action. Your kindness changed his life forever!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Thank you for opening your heart and your home to a kitty in need! It takes a special person to not only notice a pet in distress but to take action. Your kindness changed his life forever!

Yes, I'm sure JB has led a much better life with us, doesn't mean I don't still have a twinge of guilt 10 years later that I took the man's cat. I'd also been bringing non-perishable food to the old man (and cat food) because he was at the mercy of a ne'er-do-well son. Old man had approached a neighbor in the alley he knew spoke Spanish and asked for help and said he was hungry. Neighbor got me involved. Because the electricity had been turned off (no refrigeration, hence the non-perishables) and I couldn't imagine the old guy getting up and down the interior stairs in the dark, I sent an email to the address I found on my electric bill saying I'd pay the bill. About fell out of my chair when the electric company was there in less than an hour, and I never did get a bill so they must have a program for the indigent. I also "stole" Lucy, pictured in my avatar, from the same apartment building. Long story with owner moving at Thanksgiving, friend that was supposed to take care of the cat couldn't because he had dogs, I said I'd take her until owner got moved (again) to a place that would take cats, got a call a few days before Valentine's Day she was coming for Lucy, never showed, then I had the friend crying on the front porch at Easter "please give the cat back". OK, fine, but I'm not giving her to you, tell the owner to come with a cat carrier. "She's afraid you'll judge her" (well, duh). Tell her to come get her cat. Never came, which we were very glad for because Lucy turned out to be the best cat we've ever had.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love cats. My mother spent the last 30 years of her life feeding stray cats within a 1 mile radius of her home. She would cook several pounds of fish and mix with some white rice each morning and made her rounds in the morning and in the evening.

My husband decided to have cats, we took in 2 cats from the shelter who would have been put down due to their conditions 11 years ago. We had to put the 17-yo down in January and it broke my heart. The 12-yo is having issues and we do not know how long he will last. He is given antibiotics for 30 days and Vit B12 for 45 days and he is still on them. I was tested to be severely allergic to cat dander. My allergist and PCP wanted me to "get rid of the cats". But I am also severely allergic to a whole bunch of stuff like pollen and not having cats won't help me much. The question is after this one goes, do we have more cats or not. We must resist.... we must resist.... we must resist.... LOL

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This time last year we had four cats. Two died and we are now down to the number we are allowed to have at the CCRC (we could have moved in with all of them, but needed to get down to two as they died). If we end up staying put for awhile because Mom moves in with us, I figure I can get a new kitten (over Cliff's objections, I'm sure) because JB is about 12 and by the time we'd move he'd be a senior cat with not too many years left.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How often..depends on how soon the cats and dogs tear it up. LOL.

This is my issue. Our leather set in the living room is only 6 years old. But one of my cats has scratched it all up. Add to it the big rip where my dh puts his bald head while watching tv. The oils deteriated the leather, the my dd decided to walk across the top of it and I have tear. It looks awful and I’m embarrassed by it.

But. I can’t bring myself to spend thousands on a new set that the cat is going to tear apart again.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This is my issue. Our leather set in the living room is only 6 years old. But one of my cats has scratched it all up. Add to it the big rip where my dh puts his bald head while watching tv. The oils deteriated the leather, the my dd decided to walk across the top of it and I have tear. It looks awful and I’m embarrassed by it.

But. I can’t bring myself to spend thousands on a new set that the cat is going to tear apart again.
We have Mexican/folk art decor and I've been eyeing leather since we moved in. While I suspected leather wouldn't hold the attraction upholstery fabric would, I figured it would be harder to disguise if some cat took a shine to it. An artfully draped throw would just slide right off leather. Scissors to cut loose threads (and stuffing that starts to show), throws and slip covers is how we disguised damage that the dearly departed Lucy would do. Remaining two cats are pretty good about the upholstery because JB sticks to destroying the woodwork and Mocha loves the various sisal and cardboard scratchers we've bought for them.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We had a couple of lazy boy suede leather type material and my cat had no interest. It is cloth fabric that he was after. We finally got him cured after 10 years of tearing up furniture and he died on us a year after. How rude and sad. :(

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though we replace family room furniture every 11 years, I have dining room furniture that is 30 years old, master bedroom furniture that is 25 years old. I guess we use and abuse our family room. Mpumilla, I would be thrilled if my couch looks that nice, very pretty room. We have a little morkie who isn’t allowed on the couch, so she’s done no damage......the sweet adorable grandkids hmmmmm, no comment. Our furniture is leather but ready for a cozier fabric.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
. . .
While I suspected leather wouldn't hold the attraction upholstery fabric would, I figured it would be harder to disguise if some cat took a shine to it.

. . .

My favorite chair is leather and our cat, not intentionally, has scratched it in several places. I found a shoe paste of the same color and use it on the arms of the chair. I just make sure to buff it really well so that none rubs off on my clothing. It looks like new!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
NO CATS!

Ugh....don't even get my started. I love my cats dearly, but one scratches everything and the other thinks anything on the floor (including my area rug) is one giant piddle pad. My furniture looks like crap - but I will take my scratcher over my pisser any day!

There is now only 1 rug in my house, that I replace with a cheap $100 one every few months.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Since we fixed up our home- refinished the wood floors and got the new living room/dining room furniture, remodeled the kitchen- no pets for us.

Spending all that money only to have it ruined- I just cannot do it, as much as I love dogs.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We bought a very nice black leather sectional sofa with two matching recliners. The sectional has four recliners in it. We got tiered of it after 20 years and put this stuff in the rec room. We replaced the furniture with some nice electric recliner sofas made of a brown leather. We bought this from Macy's. The Macy's furniture lasted about two years upstairs. The recline was too slow and the leather didn't feel like real leather too me. We switched the furniture back and now have the old sectional and recliners in the living room. I think this furniture is maybe 23 years old. There are no problems with it because it is beautiful high quality Italian Leather. The furniture from Macys was supposedly genuine leather but it is a leather mix with some areas that seem like fake leather.

Our dining room table set was bought new at Montgomery Wards in 1987 for $800. Solid oak. I refinished it about five years ago. Still looks like new.

I wish the plasma tv would break down so I could get another bigger one.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
I’m happy to hear that some of you replace furniture every 10-12 years. I buy good products: lazyboy, flexsteel but either the fabric or springs wear out. The couch we have now has a huge dip in the springs which makes it really hard to get off of it....... so since I don’t feel so bad anymore, picking out new furniture could be fun!!! Thanks!!
I would say every 10 to 15 years is about right for couch/loveseats that are used often in a family room/great room.
We have had our formal living room furniture for 36 years; looks brand new; very rarely used. Happy shopping, its fun to "spruce up"!:banana:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we fixed up our home- refinished the wood floors and got the new living room/dining room furniture, remodeled the kitchen- no pets for us.

Spending all that money only to have it ruined- I just cannot do it, as much as I love dogs.

We've always had dogs and just recently adopted a cat, and they are all allowed on furniture. When I had a new wide-plank wood floor installed I was asked if I wanted the wood distressed. I told him my pets would take care of that! :rolleyes: I know that we've been fortunate that we never had a pet really destroy anything, but I consider furniture a "thing" and pets are considered "family". My pets give me more pleasure than my furniture, so if something gets damaged out it goes and I'll buy a replacement. My kids have pets too and all are welcome when they visit!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
When I had a new wide-plank wood floor installed I was asked if I wanted the wood distressed. I told him my pets would take care of that! :rolleyes:

That's funny. When we were building our house I picked out a flooring that looked damaged so when the animals wouldn't be blamed!! I picked an antiqued bamboo. Has lots of variations in color and "dings". In fact my flooring guy called me concerned before he realized that it was supposed to look like that. If the dogs have damaged it, can't tell.:D

Cats have trashed DH leather furniture he bought before I came into his life. He got me, a cat lover. Told me he wasn't a cat person. Guess where the cats are all the time...in his lap, sleeping on him. Good thing he's not a cat person. Leather is quite damaged from the cats racing across it. Cushions are kinda shot, we should probably replace it. Has to be 17 years old or so.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our wood floors were “distressed” by dogs for close to 30 years and they look so beautiful now and stay so clean as well. No hair all over the place- like on the furniture also.

Getting too old to have to constantly clean from pets and I am a clean freak so I am not one to just let it go.

But I do miss having dogs- just not the work.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought nice furniture about 24 years ago and then had kids. When they were little everything was fine, but when they started to get older it was clear that they were going to eventually wear the family room furniture out (as they did in the basement rec room). As soon as the second one went to college we bought very nice leather furniture and some mission style cabinets. I expect to keep the new stuff for as long as I'm around and I'm in my mid 50s.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may sound crazy, but every time I think of updating my living room sofa and chair, I end up seeing that I like mine best from anything that is out there today. In 1966 (yes, 53 years ago) we bought a Broyhill French Provincial living room set. It was our first expensive item bought after our marriage. I have recovered it 4 times so far (about every 13 years?) and it still looks great. I have updated the upholstery materials to stay pretty current. The upholsterer told us that it is the type of furniture that is not made anymore with springs on the back and seats, etc.