• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much do you spend on Marriott Maintenance Fees?

What are your annual Marriott maintenance fees?

• Under $2000

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • Between $2000 - $4000

Votes: 41 25.9%
  • Between $4000 - $6000

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • Between $6000 - $8000

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Between $8000 - $10000

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Between $10000 - $15000

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • Between $15000 - $20000

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Over $20000

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I think your numbers here are a bit optimistic. I've traveled to different islands three times over the last several summers and never paid over $600, sometimes even getting it under $500. If you're going to compare the super-cheap point rate you should compare it to the lowest available cash fare to be consistent.

Also, from June to August I see only 4 days (all in August) where there is availability for LAX-HNL at the lowest AA miles rate, which is apparently the only one eligible for the 12.5k BA rate. I don't know what the overall availability is when planning ahead but it looks pretty limited based on my brief research.

It is interesting to know about the BA trick so thank you for that. I'll go out on a limb and assume they will change their rules in the near future to mirror what other airlines have done where the miles requirement changes along with the cash rate.

I agree with you, and I am using the fare that corresponds to the low points. I've been personally tracking this for our last 5 trips to Hawaii in summer. It's been pretty consistent. What has NOT been consistent is the availability of the seats. Used to be that you could reserve that 12.5K seat in January for a July trip. Nowadays that deal may appear for just a single day here and there up until June. Then in mid-June, the seats become plentiful. British Airways releases 7 seats at a time.

One tool I have found invaluable is ExpertFlyer. It's a subscription service, but you can set up a search for, say, 4 super-saver seats on AA. They will check every day and Email when they are available. Then you grab them. But this year I got zero notifications even up until now, so seats are definitely getting harder to find. It will be interesting to see how the Volcano affects HI travel this year.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
"Commercial activity" restrictions, lottery systems for reservations of high-demand intervals, restricting consecutive-year reservations for high-demand intervals, etc ... there are a number of items that MVW could choose to implement in order to more fairly distribute the high-demand floating intervals among all eligible owners. I think I'm remembering like you are that the 2010 update mentioned a few specifically but many have been written into the governing docs from the inception of each resort. It appears that the later a resort opened, the more of these restrictions are in the docs - for example, SurfWatch's has all the things I mentioned plus more.

I would hate to see some of these restrictions. Those of us who work the system, call and are on the website the exact moment reservations open up for a desired week or check several times a day until a desired reservation is available, would be limited to lower demand weeks and others who may not be so aggressive in planning and reserving weeks might get those weeks. Just because of a lottery? Or because I worked hard last year too? Seems like reverse discrimination.

I like that owners have the right to privately rent out their ownerships and I've taken advantage of that right - nowhere near the extent that you could call what I do a commercial venture, but for several years recently I've done rentals that covered-plus my MF's via an established broker.* I wouldn't want to see that ability go away but I definitely think something needs to be done about the mega-renters who monopolize high-demand intervals, especially when you consider that owner rentals are becoming much more commonplace via social media. When it gets to the point that owners aren't able to book floating intervals similarly to the established pattern they'd previously enjoyed, it's a problem.

This I agree with.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We fly from SFO to all islands in Hawaii for approx $500 round trip. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
TravelTime, H E L P!!!

What airlines do you use? Please name all. Thanks for your assistance on this subject. We liked to travel from late March to the end of May and also from October to mid December.

We want to vacation two (2) consecutive weeks in Hawaii.

Sounds liked we need to fly from the east coast and stay a couple days/nights in San Francisco before and after visiting Hawaii.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
TravelTime, H E L P!!!

What airlines do you use? Please name all. Thanks for your assistance on this subject. We liked to travel from late March to the end of May and also from October to mid December.

We want to vacation two (2) consecutive weeks in Hawaii.

Sounds liked we need to fly from the east coast and stay a couple days/nights in San Francisco before and after visiting Hawaii.

We have traveled from SFO and SJC to all the islands of Hawaii on United, American, Alaska Air and Hawaii Air. United or Alaska Air tend to be our preferred airlines from SFO and SJC. I just look for the best deal. I rarely use points for flying to Hawaii bc we save our points for Business First Class for long distance nonstop flights. With Hawaii, you need to book at least 6 months in advance to get prices at or under $500 RT. We last flew to Oahu in Hawaiian Air for under $500 pp round trip but we did not like the airplane bc it did not have wifi and the plane seemed old.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the original topic, up to this point, we have 141 people that have participated in the poll. Using $1000 for the lowest tier and the minimum amount for the others, Tuggers that participated in the poll pay at least $740,000 in maintenance fees per year to Marriott.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Getting back to the original topic, up to this point, we have 141 people that have participated in the poll. Using $1000 for the lowest tier and the minimum amount for the others, Tuggers that participated in the poll pay at least $740,000 in maintenance fees per year to Marriott.

And this does not include MFs paid to Vistana or Hyatt which are now part of the MVC family.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not officially part of it yet.

Yes, I know. I just meant that if Steve included Vistana and Hyatt MFs in his calculations, it would probably double his minimum calculation. If the point is to show how TUG members support MVC, then once they officially merge, Steve could make an even more powerful statement!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
To add some humor to Steve that started this poll.

We pay too much in mf every December as my checking account hurts . Well actually Jan as I charge it then have to pay for it in Jan.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
And to put that into perspective.... that equates to the annual electricity expense line item at Grande Ocean resort. So 1 expense line item at 1 resort. Shows how small of a sample our little corner of the world here at TUG really is.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I know that many of us are savvy in the ways of Marriott and have many weeks/points in the system. I've added up all of my maintenance fees and I'm paying about $11,000 per year. I wanted to get a feel of how invested people are with Marriott.

The poll should be anonymous.

TOTAL: $14262.32 [Marriott + Vistana]
Marriott: $7305.83 [5500-DCP] + [1 x MKO-2BR-EY] + [1 x MRD-2BR-EY]
Westin: $6956.49 [3 x WLR-2BR-EOY] + [3 x WKV-2BR-EY]
All of the above weeks are Platinum/Platinum+ Peak-Season.

In addition we spend between $2K - $3K in Interval-Fees [Exchange + E-Plus + Size-Upgrade]
The above gets us about 15-Weeks [after locking-off] of vacation every year.

Last edited: