TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

how many rentals are RCI exchanges?

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by DannyTS, May 5, 2019.

1. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    If you are very curious, just call and ask how they get their inventory. They should be able to answer. Their website looks legitimate. It looks like they are trying to have a legitimate business. They even put photos of their children online. Maybe this is all a scam but it looks legit.

2. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    They are offering the 2 BR Aulani units Standard view will above the MF cost. MF cost for the March unit on the website is $3300 and they were asking $4500. I have to assume they are not using RCI inventory and they are helping owners rent unused points.

3. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    This is their strategy:
    We're Vacation Strategy and we manage unused vacation ownership points. Every year we have un-rented points left over that expire. We'd rather give them away in hopes that you'll come back and book with us in the future!

I am confused as to what the purpose of this thread is?

4. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    They are not owners. Their website clearly says they are renting out unused points.

5. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

IMO what they state and the reality, 2 parallel tracks that will never meet

6. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Their website looks legit. Their strategy looks legit. It sounds like they are helping owners with unused points to rent their TSs.

7. louisianab

louisianab TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham
    Welk RCI exchanges maybe?

8. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I would guess so. I feel a little annoyed right now. I would love to get Aulani through exchange, especially a 2 bedroom for us and our kids and grandkids. I have had an ongoing search for months and months now.

I loved staying there the one night I paid 50 points for ($350 total cost for me to stay on our points in a 1 bedroom).

9. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Here is the email I got when I requested a week. It sounds legit. I suspect the $199 resort fee is their fee, not an RCI fee. Not sure why people thought this was an RCI fee. It is not even the same amount at the RCI fee. Note that $1599 is a couple hundred dollars higher than the MF so they are not renting below MFs. This was for a reservation in June.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to quote your upcoming vacation. At this time we show availability at Disney's Saratoga Springs and are happy to offer you a total price of $1,599 which includes all taxes. This is a savings of 30% to 50% from Wyndham's Extra Holidays, Orbitz, Expedia or Travelocity prices, however if you should find a better advertised offer from any major travel site we will match it with our best price guarantee.

Vacation Strategy LLC, agrees to hold this reservation for XXXX upon payment of the initial deposit of . For your convenience we accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover. The final balance of $1,599.00 will be due on 5/8/2019.
    Inventory is limited and constantly changing so availability and pricing are not guaranteed until your deposit has been received.

Click Here To Make Your Deposit

Resort Fee:
    The resort will charge a non-refundable $199 resort fee upon check-in.

All Disney World resorts charge for overnight parking, the fee is $25 a night.

Cancellation Policy:

THIS RESERVATION CANNOT BE CANCELLED, REFUNDED OR MODIFIED IN ANY WAY.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, concerns or comments. We are here to serve you!

Sincerely,

Vaca
    tion Strategy, LLC

Local Phone: 407-745-1909
    Toll Free Phone: 888-832-4223

10. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

As stated before, DVC charges the $199 fee but only to RCI bookings.

It is crystal clear to me that most if not all of their listings are RCI exchanges. But since you already sent them an email, why don't you ask them directly if the week you inquired about is an RCI exchange? Also ask them what happens to the reservation if RCI restricts their account.

famy27 likes this.
  11. louisianab

louisianab TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham
    This is also curious to me because I've been researching renting DVC points from some of the big points rental sites and parking is free when you rent from an owner via those sites and they also have no additional fee at check-in

12. JohnB3

JohnB3 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC - SSR
    VV - Grandview
    MHB - Marriott Willow Ridge
    DVC owners easily get $14 a point using a third party point rental service so it would be odd to see DVC owners renting these reservations @ $6 or $7 a point on a regular basis I agree you might see it but to be savvy enough to list on redweek but not savvy enough to find David or the like feels wrong. I talked to one of the rental folks I sometimes work with when I have excess points about renting an RCI reservation (before I knew it was against the rules) and he would not touch the reservation.

13. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

When renting a points based reservation, the price is typically listed as a price per point. This one is not.

"Resort Fee: The resort will charge a non-refundable $199 resort fee upon check-in."

When renting a points based reservation, there are no resort fees from a Disney resort. (Aulani has small tax amounts charged by the state of Hawaii but that's not due at check-in.)

Not sure how this is even a question.

14. paxsarah

paxsarah TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Ocean Boulevard and Flagstaff
    Exactly. Anyone renting out Orlando DVC weeks with the resort fee upon check-in (although it's $190, so I don't know why it's off a bit), that's 100% an RCI exchange. There is no other fee that corresponds.

15. famy27

famy27 TUG Member

It depends on what you mean by legit. I think they do have inventory and will rent it, so it’s not a scam where they steal your money. However, it’s pretty clear that many of their reservations are RCI exchanges, which is forbidden by RCI. Now whether RCI enforces its rules is a different question, but this does violate the rules and potentially leaves the renter open to having their reservation cancelled

DannyTS likes this.
  16. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    You said the DVC fee was $190. They are charging $199. So this might be a rental fee, not an RCI fee. I did not start the speculation so I think whoever started it should investigate the facts to make sure they are spreading accurate information.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  17. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    You are all assuming that it is easy to rent out Saratoga points at the last minute and that all DVC owners are equally motivated to get the max. If they want the max, they would need to be renting their points at 11 months out. From what I can see, this company has last minute reservations.

The DVC point rental companies usually advertise highly discounted inventory as a weekly rate, not a per point rate. David's and DVC Rentals both say they have distressed inventory and will rent it below the market rate esp if 60 days out. Click down to see their distressed availability and how it is advertised. https://dvcrentalstore.com/discounted-points-confirmed-reservations/

It would be nice if people would inquire with the company before speculating on TUG. TUG could be ruining this company's reputation without the facts. I know I could be wrong but I have not seen any facts exchanged about this company, only speculation.

18. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    FYI - the trend these days if using a travel advisor is to charge an upfront fee. Travel advisors make little money on bookings.

19. paxsarah

paxsarah TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Ocean Boulevard and Flagstaff
    It's not a rental fee, and it's not an RCI fee. It's a Disney fee, and the only fee that comes anywhere close to what's being advertised is the fee Disney charges for incoming DVC RCI exchanges. Maybe they list it as $199 to make it slightly less blatant, because who's going to complain when they expect to pay a $199 fee and Disney only charges them $190? Disney's fees are well-documented, and this is the only one that fits. I really don't quite understand why you're trying to come up with any other explanation for these listings. When a renter discloses that Disney will be charging a resort fee (anywhere in the neighborhood of $190), the only -- only! -- explanation is that it's an RCI exchange.

20. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

If anyone does not know, RCI reservations at Aulani will also pay the $190 fee at check in.

Transient Accommodations Tax is charged on all timeshare stays in Hawaii and collected by the front desk upon checkin. It usually shows up as tax per day.

Saw this companies ad and the disclaimer about front desk collecting $199 at check in, makes it more of an RCI exchange.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

That is fine and is collected by the travel agent directly from the customer. This company is having DVC collect their $199 travel advisor fee?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

22. famy27

famy27 TUG Member

Other tipoffs:

Other than Aulani, their Disney rentals are all one-week rentals, all are SSR, and all are one bedrooms. Those are the hallmarks of RCI exchanges. DVC owners will often have four-night/long weekend rentals and normally in studios, since those are the most popular. I would imagine that very few owners would book 7-night SSR stays on speculation. Most people rent points or hard-to-get reservations during popular times. But even David's says most renters want to be able to pick their view and unit sizes. They don't want to be stuck with what someone else has booked.

It's crystal clear to me that these are RCI exchanges.

paxsarah likes this.
  23. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    If there is clear evidence that this is RCI inventory, then they should be reported to RCI. It is not fair to everyone else when some people break the rules.

24. Pathways

Pathways TUG Member

I respectfully disagree. From the posts I am reading, the speculation is yours. Everyone else agrees these are RCI reservations.

For kicks I checked out your link. I could not find even one offering that was a full week like the RCI weeks this company is advertising.

I don't believe anyone is 'ruining' their reputation. We are if fact giving them more advertising/publicity. (I had never heard of them). Unless and until RCI decides to start cancelling reservations, ( and don't hold your breath on that) their business will be fine.

25. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    RCI won't do a thing, and as RCI exchanges, as this is obvious to ME, this company or individual is making a fortune on exchange rentals.

But go ahead and be naive and believe this is legitimate, but it IS NOT legitimate. I don't have to pay for parking or pay fees, when I use my own points. When I take exchanges, I do have to pay the fee of $190. It used to be $95.

I don't know how these people get by with this blatant rental of exchanges, but it's clearly what is going on. II was so good and keeping these exchanges from rental forums. RCI gets their money, so what do they care. I am so annoyed, I cannot even believe this. And the Aulani rentals are especially awful.