TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

How many points is a weeks resort worth??

Discussion in 'Exchanging Timeshares' started by beachbarbie, Sep 21, 2018.

1. beachbarbie

beachbarbie TUG Member

I have a weeks resort that trades with RCI. When I trade a week with RCI they change it into 45 points for me to use. How many points would this be worth in RCI as a points resort. Can the week be changed into regular RCI points? And if so how??

Thank You....

Beachbarbie

2. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    The number of points depends on the resort/unit size/unit week... best option is to call RCI to get that info. But before you do that...

If you have an existing RCI Points account, the week you want to "change into regular RCI Points" must be at a resort that is NOT affiliated with RCI points. Then you can do Points For Deposit (PFD) to get those regular RCI Points.

If the resort IS affiliated with RCI Points, you cannot do PFD. You would have to go thru the resort and have the week converted to RCI Points. There's usually a hefty fee (a few thousand $$) for doing that. If you're not an RCI points member and want to become one, it's often cheaper to purchase a week that's already converted.

3. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    The 45 TPU you receive is a variable amount, as well, since it's based on the week deposited and calendar date it was done. A Points value is likely to be set by the agreement between the resort and RCI. If your thought (and the purpose of your post) is that you might get better value owning that resort as a Points thing, and not as a Week, you'd have to know what they give for that side of things. They aren't directly comparable.

The bigger question is what do you get for giving that time to RCI? By the time you factor in fees and such, there may not be a lot of difference in deposit value, or in the end exchange you receive for using that deposit.

Dave

mpumilia likes this.
  4. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    RCI weeks is how it started .
    TPU's ( your 45 ) were added to account for trading power differences .
    I believe this was in the last 10 years or so (I read /learned on TUG ) and was because of a lawsuit .

45 TPU is decent for a week deposit .

above -DaveNW - gave good info ( ie weeks and points are not directly comparable )

In a certain way - RCI TPU's , points etc : are all virtual currency - with arbitrage possibilities .

{and sometimes Swiss chocolate is cheaper here than in Switzerland }

mpumilia and DaveNW like this.
  5. beachbarbie

beachbarbie TUG Member

6. beachbarbie

beachbarbie TUG Member

Thank You all. I have my week and am willing to give it away but the people who were contacting me about it have the RCI points account. My resort is a weeks account. I didn't know how to figure out the value for them to take my resort and how they would get it from TPU to points. Would they have to pay RCI to get this changed into RCI Points?? It seemed like a while ago RCI would do that.

Thank You

7. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

They will have two RCI accounts. There is no additional cost for the 'weeks' account. There is no way to just equate weeks with RCI points. It would be costly (if even possible) to convert the week into RCI points. Best to just leave it as is and use both systems.

Jim

8. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Your answer is this attachment!

Attached Files:

9. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    If your resort is only in weeks and you want to know how many PFD you might get for it in a points account your answer is in this attachment.

10. beachbarbie

beachbarbie TUG Member

Thank You...I see the attachment and it shows that a California Coastal Red week gets 46,000 points which is close to the amount of points that I receive when I deposit the week. If I were to give/transfer this resort to someone with RCI points, would they be able to accept this into their points account and would it be the same amount of points that I currently receive or that shows up on the chart??
    Thank You for taking the time to answer
    Beachbarbie

11. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    What is your resort? Knowing that will tell whether it can be used for point for deposit (which would require you to buy another week that has already been converted to points) or if you would have to convert through your resort which would likely cost $2000-$4000. It would also indicate whether you should be looking at the points resort for your resort or the generic one for resorts that are not in points. It doesn't matter whether you have a points week, the important fact is has the resort ever sold points weeks or conversions.

12. beachbarbie

beachbarbie TUG Member

Aquamarine Villas in Oceanside CA

13. beachbarbie

beachbarbie TUG Member

Weeks as far as I know but not positive

14. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts

Looks like that resort is RCI Weeks, so the new owner would be able to use PFD to get true RCI Points rather than what you get now. They would have to pay the PFD every year they want to receive RCI Points.

15. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

What is the average cost per day now to stay in a timeshare?

16. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Arda has numbers but they are meaningless because a night in some locations could be and should be more than others.

I believe according to them the average MF on a 2 BR unit is around $950 these days not including property tax. Which would be $135. Problem is they send this to the boards of the $500-$600 places and they think great lets increase $200+ and our owners are still getting a bargain without thinking that those $1200-$2000 per week places that are bringing the average up have 4 times the amenities and facilities and then bringing the lower priced places closer to the average brings everybody up higher and higher.