• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many points and what do you do with them?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We have 14,400 points and use them to stay multiple weeks in Hawaii. If we are going there a week is never enough. We go in gold season and I can get almost 3 weeks in a 2 br.

This year we had some medical issues and had to cancel the trip so I’m renting a few points and taking some short weekday getaways locally in Carlsbad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Don't some Hilton owners use their points for DVC exchanges through RCI? I remember seeing the low points required.
Those were the good old days. We were lucky and got multiple weeks at Aulani. This was when weeks showed up in RCI with an OGS. Now they are special deposits that only Wyndham owners can book.

Yes, HGVC points were reasonable. 1br were 3400 hgvc points and 2br were 4800 points. Compared to 300+ dvc pts for a 1br ocean view. Always got ocean view rooms in our 14 trades into Aulani. Even called and requested high floor and got tpp floor most times.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Csandrago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just learning the timeshare game lol, and own in Vegas but not Hilton, I get good RCI points but considering trying to get into the HGVC because husband wants the quality of resort. Is it better for me to buy in one location and pay MF's for the points or try picking up a few HGVC in various locations that people will pay transfer fees just to get rid of, that I can get a good resale price on and just tally my points up to lets say 7K or a bit more? I am not sure if this is making sense....but let me know :)

We have 34,800 annual points, family of three. It seems a bit crazy but we have no problem using them.

First off, two weeks are fixed 51 and 52 on Marco Island, and we use our fixed weeks almost every year, so that is 14,000 points.

Then I have a fixed ski week 1BR+ at Valdoro which I use, so that is 6200 points.

The remaining 14,600 points usually include a summer full week somewhere, plus I make several 3-day weekend ski season reservations at Valdoro every year. I think I have 4 or 5 reservations for this coming ski season. Throw in the other occasional trips (we're heading to Chicago in September for a long weekend this year, we were in Las Vegas last fall), and that takes care of our points.

Also, having so many points, we do tend to splurge a bit more. The three of us could fit in a 1BR, but will often get a 2BR instead so our daughter has a bit more privacy. With the point structure of some of the newer resorts, it will make going there a bit easier as well.

BTW, all purchases were resale, so even though it has been a significant investment, it is was way less than anything direct from HGVC. We are comfortable with our maintenance fee commitment, and as we approach retirement we see ourselves traveling more so I don't see an issue with not being able to use all our points in the foreseeable future. But when that time comes, I feel confident we will not have an issue divesting as all of our weeks are Platinum so there will be demand for them. My guess is that our daughter will want some of them, but I'm not counting on that. And for those who constantly complain on these forums about what to do after they no longer want their timeshares, I built my "exit plan" in from day 1 -- no need to insist that the HOA be burdened handling my exit plan.

Kurt

Reaction score
I am just learning the timeshare game lol, and own in Vegas but not Hilton, I get good RCI points but considering trying to get into the HGVC because husband wants the quality of resort. Is it better for me to buy in one location and pay MF's for the points or try picking up a few HGVC in various locations that people will pay transfer fees just to get rid of, that I can get a good resale price on and just tally my points up to lets say 7K or a bit more? I am not sure if this is making sense....but let me know :)

Buy where you WANT to stay or buy something with the lowest price and lowest annual dues. However, low priced resales often have high annual dues and visa versa. In other words, there is no single best unit to buy, but there are ranges of good deals such as HGVC las vegas or big island