TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

How long for Starwood to process its Right of First Refusal?

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by cuppajoe, Jul 22, 2009.

1. cuppajoe

cuppajoe TUG Member

Hi, fellow TUGgers.

I'm in the process of purchasing a resale WKORV unit, and we're at the stage where the seller has sent the intent to purchase details to Starwood, around 3 weeks ago. All attempts at querying the status of the ROFR, though, have been unsuccessful... nothing but silence back from Starwood, from email or voice mail.

How long is Starwood legally allowed to sit on this? I imagine it's in their best interest to let it drag on, but the seller and I are itching to move to the next stage.

Any advice as to how to proceed? Any magic contacts anyone has within Starwood? :)

Cheers!
    cj

2. yumdrey

yumdrey TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

When I bought WMH, it took almost 3 weeks to get the letter from starwood.
    You should wait until you get waive letter from starwood, you cannot proceed next step yet, just in case.

3. Twinkstarr

Twinkstarr TUG Member

I didn't have to go through a ROFR process when I bought my Lakeside Terrace week, just closed, recorded deed and sent off to *wood.

Is this something with just WMH?

4. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

5. gregb

gregb TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORN
    According to the Vacation Ownership Plan documents, Starwood is required to respond to a ROFR within 10 days of their receipt of the notice of planned sale. So if you have not heard from them in 3 weeks, and you have some sort of proof that you sent the required information, you should be OK to close the deal.

Greg

6. cuppajoe

cuppajoe TUG Member

Excellent, thanks for the info! Hmm... as for proof, I suppose the best thing would be a fax (or email?) from Starwood indicating that they'd received the information. Scary to contemplate fighting with them about this later... :ponder:

Cheers,
    cj

7. gregb

gregb TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORN
    Ways to establish when you sent them the document.

Send it via a carrier that requires a signature and can track a package, like FedEX or UPS.
    Send it Registered Mail with Return Receipt.
    Send it from a FAX machine that prints the date/time and phone number sent to on the document.

You do have to send them a complete copy of "Offer to Buy" including all terms and conditions.

"If the Developer decides to buy the Vacation Ownership Interest, then the Developer will send the Owner written notice of that decision within ten (10) business days after the Developer receives the Owner' notice of the Offer to Buy. ... If the Developer does not send notice of its decision to buy the Vacation Ownership Interest within the ten (10) business day period, then the Owner may sell the Vacation Ownership Interest to the person who submitted the Offer to Buy." This is from the Vacation Ownership Plan document for WKORVN, section 9.8, Right of First Refusal.

So if you send them a copy of the offer to buy, wait 10 business days after they receive it and don't hear back from them, you are good to go for the sale.

Greg

8. dyi27308

dyi27308 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD
    WKORV OV
    I am a few weeks ahead of you on my recent resale purchase of WKORV. According to my closing company, the ROFR was requested on June 12 and it was recieved on June 25th.

9. cuppajoe

cuppajoe TUG Member

Thank you for the details! We'll get on this immediately, and hopefully be able to continue soon.

Cheers,
    cj

10. cuppajoe

cuppajoe TUG Member

In case anyone is curious, it turns out that we should have faxed the information to begin with. The email we sent languished in someone's email box for weeks, since they were on vacation (I should have such a long vacation :).

After making a few calls, I finally got in touch with the right folks at Starwood, and they were very helpful. After faxing the signed document, we got the right of first refusal waiver document emailed as a .pdf the next day!

Now, on with the rest of the title exchange rituals...

Cheers,
    cj

11. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Aren't you using a closing company for this transaction?

12. cuppajoe

cuppajoe TUG Member

Yes, we're planning on using one mentioned in the TUG "How to sell your timeshare" faq, Timeshare Transfer. Seems like it's about equal in price and dependability to the others mentioned in there. Anyone have other places they recommend?

Cheers,
    cj

13. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

I would have turned this over to the closing company right away - they would have taken care of the ROFR for you and you would be closer to completing your transaction.

14. cuppajoe

cuppajoe TUG Member

That's odd... they told the seller that we'd have to take care of this before they could do anything. Oh, well. It's done...

I'm hoping against hope that we'll complete soon and I'll be able to reserve our 2br for February, 2010. There were rooms available for rent, but don't know about availability for owners.

cj

15. Fredm

Fredm TUG Member

Once the ROFR review window has closed Starwood cannot later void the sale.
    So, from this perspective it should be OK to close the deal.
    The holdup occurs if the buyer wants title insurance. TI companies will not issue a policy if the waiver is not issued. At least that is true for the TI companies I have dealt with.