• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How hard is it to find an owner to rent from at 11 months out?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like to rent DVC - where could I find a place to find renters? I checked TUG - rentals - but haven’t seen any DVC -

What is David’s posted earlier? Thank you

Also - which DVC is good for kids 4-6-11-13 old ?
There are several brokers than facilitate rentals as a go between and take a cut, David's is one but there are several others now. Redweeks, DIS and Mouseowners can be good places, there is also a DVCrent Yahoo group. There are a few of us here that do at times, some more than others. I don't very often personally.

Since you're asking which resort, I presume you haven't rented before or have much on property experience around the resorts that are similar to DVC. For that group I'd say it depends on your goals and how much park time. If you're going heavy on the parks I'd say Bay Lake Towers is likely the best as you can walk to Magic Kingdom and get to EPCOT with the monorail. The best value and choice for this group if there's a more stringent budget or less park time is Saratoga Springs. Boardwalk Standard view would be my suggestion for Disney Hollywood studios or EPCOT as the main focus but BWV preferred or Beach Club would be good choices, jus more expensive. You may need to plan 7-11 months out, esp if you want the cheaper options at the higher end resorts but should be OK for SSR or Animal Kingdom. You'll need a 2 BR for 6 people.

Howdy_TX

Reaction score
Thank you - actually party of 8 - I only have 2 kids

Correct - never been and no clue - just heard if want convince, best to stay on site to access early hours (magic?)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you - actually party of 8 - I only have 2 kids

Correct - never been and no clue - just heard if want convince, best to stay on site to access early hours (magic?)
Whether it's best to stay on site depends but it comes with advantages and cost. If you'll have a car and go to the parks only a couple of days, I'd likely stay off, esp if on a tighter budged. SSR standard, OKW and BWV standard are going to be the best prices. BLT standard might be the best value but it will be quite a bit more. AKV value is actually cheapest but getting it is difficult to almost impossible. Even BWV standard is tough much of the year. For a 2 BR for a week you're looking at a minimum of over $5K and up to $8K or more for some options. And if you paid cash direct, it'd be dramatically more still. Remember that for 2 couples and 2 kids each you have to consider the unit configurations. As a rule a dedicated (non lockoff) 2 BR will have a King, 2 queens and a pullout and a lockoff a King, queen and 2 pullouts, one loveseat (full sized). The exception is that OKW has 2 queens in all second BR. You're welcome to email me directly if you want at deandal@pobox.com.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct - never been and no clue...best to stay on site to access early hours (magic?)
Dean's excellent posts explained many of the DVC specific issues...but a few more details might be useful.

There are four main reasons to stay 'on property' at WDW - Proximity (aka travel time), early and late magic hours, 60 day fastpasses (FPs), and 'length of stay' Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs). The best proximity is offered by BLT (you can walk to the MK) as well as BCV and BWV (an easy walk to EPCOT and a slightly longer walk to HS). The other MK resorts offer monorail and boat access to the MK...with the Poly actually having the best 'proximity' because you can walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center for quicker MK options and the monorail to EPCOT.

As for the other three, if you are going during the peak WDW times when school is out of session (likely given the kid's ages you gave) the magic hours, 60 day FPs, and ADRs actually matter quite a lot. Magic hour lines are shorter (though they build quickly) and FPs for the rides that develop 3+hour wait lines simply aren't available at 30 days. Also, dining reservations at the more popular restaurants can be quite difficult to get when school is out.

That said, starting in 2018 those perks can also be obtained by staying at the The Disney Spring Area Resorts: B Resort & Spa; Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort; DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando; Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Palace; Hilton Orlando Resort Lake Buena Vista; Holiday Inn Orlando; Wyndham Lake Buena Vista; and Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista.

The difficult part of all this is price. Staying 'on property' (particularly in a 2BR villa) has become staggeringly expensive - it's just that renting DVC points is cheaper than paying cash to Disney directly. Even OKW, SSR, and AKV - which mean taking the bus or a car everywhere - are very expensive compared with staying 'off property'.

Lastly, I offer my 2 cents based on our experiences. We own at BCV and BLT and do split stays (Disney moves your luggage) which means that when we're staying on our own points the only park we can't walk to is AK...which is very nice. We stayed at AKV once and while we enjoyed the resort I would never stay there (or OKW or SSR) again without a car. We stayed at the DoubleTree twice (before they offered WDW perks) and it was perfectly fine. And lastly, in 2017 we stayed in a very nice Marriott Vacation Club 2BR villa right down the road from WDW. And even though we stayed in the lowest possible season of 'school breaks' - the last week before Labor Day when much of the country has already returned to school - the lack of 'good' fastpasses and ADRs really did make for a less enjoyable WDW experience. YMMV.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Dean's excellent posts explained many of the DVC specific issues...but a few more details might be useful.

There are four main reasons to stay 'on property' at WDW - Proximity (aka travel time), early and late magic hours, 60 day fastpasses (FPs), and 'length of stay' Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs). The best proximity is offered by BLT (you can walk to the MK) as well as BCV and BWV (an easy walk to EPCOT and a slightly longer walk to HS). The other MK resorts offer monorail and boat access to the MK...with the Poly actually having the best 'proximity' because you can walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center for quicker MK options and the monorail to EPCOT.

As for the other three, if you are going during the peak WDW times when school is out of session (likely given the kid's ages you gave) the magic hours, 60 day FPs, and ADRs actually matter quite a lot. Magic hour lines are shorter (though they build quickly) and FPs for the rides that develop 3+hour wait lines simply aren't available at 30 days. Also, dining reservations at the more popular restaurants can be quite difficult to get when school is out.

That said, starting in 2018 those perks can also be obtained by staying at the The Disney Spring Area Resorts: B Resort & Spa; Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort; DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando; Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Palace; Hilton Orlando Resort Lake Buena Vista; Holiday Inn Orlando; Wyndham Lake Buena Vista; and Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista.

The difficult part of all this is price. Staying 'on property' (particularly in a 2BR villa) has become staggeringly expensive - it's just that renting DVC points is cheaper than paying cash to Disney directly. Even OKW, SSR, and AKV - which mean taking the bus or a car everywhere - are very expensive compared with staying 'off property'.

Lastly, I offer my 2 cents based on our experiences. We own at BCV and BLT and do split stays (Disney moves your luggage) which means that when we're staying on our own points the only park we can't walk to is AK...which is very nice. We stayed at AKV once and while we enjoyed the resort I would never stay there (or OKW or SSR) again without a car. We stayed at the DoubleTree twice (before they offered WDW perks) and it was perfectly fine. And lastly, in 2017 we stayed in a very nice Marriott Vacation Club 2BR villa right down the road from WDW. And even though we stayed in the lowest possible season of 'school breaks' - the last week before Labor Day when much of the country has already returned to school - the lack of 'good' fastpasses and ADRs really did make for a less enjoyable WDW experience. YMMV.

I agree with the 4 reasons to stay on property but I think there is one more reason - the theming and experience at Disney resorts like Animal Kingdom and Aulani. These 2 resorts, especially AK, are so unique and different than any other resorts in the world. Aulani is more Hawaiian than any resort in Hawaii. Staying at AK is as close to an African Safari as you can get outside of Africa. I am staying at the Grand Floridian this spring and hope that Resort will be incredible too. I have stayed at Boardwalk and Poly but those 2 did not impress me.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...I think there is one more reason - the theming and experience at Disney resorts like Animal Kingdom...
AK is unique in that it is the one WDW DVC resort I can actually imagine spending a day or three simply enjoying the resort. We've had wonderful animal sightings from our room, the common spaces, and even Sanaa (one of the restaurants). The pools are fun and the themeing - particularly in the huge common spaces - is spectacular. The Wilderness Lodge (Boulder and Copper Creek) also has some great themeing - kind of like a re-imagined Ahwahnee in Yosemite. Lastly, while the themeing at BCV isn't the greatest it does have the best pool complex - Stormalong Bay.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
I like to rent DVC - where could I find a place to find renters? I checked TUG - rentals - but haven’t seen any DVC -

What is David’s posted earlier? Thank you

Also - which DVC is good for kids 4-6-11-13 old ?
Have you tried other travel boards? Disboards, very active travel forum, is a popular travel board forum for Disney lovers, Disneyland section as well. I believe there is a renters section, never rented our points before. There is a separate DVC section and subsections within. Think for your age kids, I would say either Beachclub or Polynesian. Love both resorts, as a renter at BC you would have access to the gorgeous main pool, Stormalong Bay, sand bottom, huge pool and the smaller quieter Beachclub Villa pool and at the Poly there are 3 water area, the main pool, Lava pool which is gorgeous, adjacent younger kid area with lovely water playscape, and a quieter pool there as well. BC is very difficult to get during Food and Wine Season, late August through beginning of November as the proximity to Epcot is incredible, easy walking distance to back entrance. If you like the beach, both Hilton Head and Vero are fabulous resorts. We travel in May the latest though as I understand the entire island of Hilton Head is extremely busy summer months. Vero is a great beach resort, but much quieter with good restaurants, but you must drive about 15 to 20 minutes to get to great restaurants. Good luck!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
AK is unique in that it is the one WDW DVC resort I can actually imagine spending a day or three simply enjoying the resort. We've had wonderful animal sightings from our room, the common spaces, and even Sanaa (one of the restaurants). The pools are fun and the themeing - particularly in the huge common spaces - is spectacular. The Wilderness Lodge (Boulder and Copper Creek) also has some great themeing - kind of like a re-imagined Ahwahnee in Yosemite. Lastly, while the themeing at BCV isn't the greatest it does have the best pool complex - Stormalong Bay.

So far, I have stayed at AKL Jambo House (love it), Boardwalk, Polynesian and Aulani (love it too). AKL and Aulani both have incredible theming and nothing beats watching the animals from your balcony. Boardwalk was okay but the boardwalk was not all that impressive in terms of its restaurants and shops. I expected more. Polynesian has a great lobby and some good onsite restaurants but I much prefer a 1 BR over a studio. Next trip, I am going back to ALK Jambo House again and also trying out Grand Floridian and Copper Creek. I hope I love them both as much as AKL.

Howdy_TX

Reaction score
Have you tried other travel boards? Disboards, very active travel forum, is a popular travel board forum for Disney lovers, Disneyland section as well. I believe there is a renters section, never rented our points before. There is a separate DVC section and subsections within. Think for your age kids, I would say either Beachclub or Polynesian. Love both resorts, as a renter at BC you would have access to the gorgeous main pool, Stormalong Bay, sand bottom, huge pool and the smaller quieter Beachclub Villa pool and at the Poly there are 3 water area, the main pool, Lava pool which is gorgeous, adjacent younger kid area with lovely water playscape, and a quieter pool there as well. BC is very difficult to get during Food and Wine Season, late August through beginning of November as the proximity to Epcot is incredible, easy walking distance to back entrance. If you like the beach, both Hilton Head and Vero are fabulous resorts. We travel in May the latest though as I understand the entire island of Hilton Head is extremely busy summer months. Vero is a great beach resort, but much quieter with good restaurants, but you must drive about 15 to 20 minutes to get to great restaurants. Good luck!

Thanks - I’ll check them out - looks like I do need find someone will rent their DVC points - a go for this Xmas - and I think now I need to start looking if I want AK... since other mentioned are great for their pool - but Xmas maybe too cold for swimming ???

Ps - I’m having problem signup with DISboards :( “New registrations are currently not being accepted” ???? HUH HUH?????

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
Thanks - I’ll check them out - looks like I do need find someone will rent their DVC points - a go for this Xmas - and I think now I need to start looking if I want AK... since other mentioned are great for their pool - but Xmas maybe too cold for swimming ???

Ps - I’m having problem signup with DISboards :( “New registrations are currently not being accepted” ???? HUH HUH?????
That seems strange that new members cannot sign up. Unfortunately, Christmas Week will be very difficult, owners book at 11 months and that week is very much in demand. Have never gone to Disney during Christmas Week, but it is extremely crowded! You may get to use the Hot Tub, but typically not warm enough for swimming. We were there mid December this year and it was unfortunately more misty and rainy than chilly, one of the days we had some sun and used the hot tub. We enjoy the parks, but our vacation style is to enjoy the DVC resort pools. Stayed at Bay Lake Tower for the first time in October and loved it, gorgeous pool, walk to Magic Kingdom, have use of the Contemporary pool as well, right on the monorail. Good Luck with your booking, definitely do it now if you are considering it!:)