• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How happy are you with your Marriott ownership?

How happy are you with your Marriott ownership?

• I'm very happy with my Marriott ownership.

Votes: 485 50.1%
  • I'm happy, even though there are occasional problems (e.g., trying to reserve the week I want).

Votes: 250 25.8%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 65 6.7%
  • I'm a bit unhappy with my ownership, but have no current plans to dispose of my Marriott ownership.

Votes: 91 9.4%
  • I'm unhappy, want to sell and would not buy another Marriott.

Votes: 77 8.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

marksue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Redsox. Based on my experience with the Ocean CLub I would not recommend Marriott TS. I also own at the Surf Club, but based on how MVCI has handled the OCean CLub issues, reflects on the Marriott TS system. They seem to have a total disreagard of the owners.

bergdavid

Reaction score
try Jet Blue

Love my Marriott, wish I could find an airline that I feel as good about!

I have been flying Jet Blue out of Buffalo, since I live in Toronto, Canada. It is much cheaper than any airline in Canada, and their staff are amazing. What's also great is that they have Direct TV on the back of every seat, so the time flies by.

enjoy

david:banana:

LordCambridge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love my Marriott, wish I could find an airline that I feel as good about!

I know that some don't like it, but my appreciation for Southwest Airlines is the same as Marriott - I feel they're both best in class. I know Southwest doesn't fly to a number of cities, though.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
"Could someone link me to a posting that outlines the new program changes I keep seeing mentioned? Thanks in advance."

Lord Cambridge and all,

Point your browser to Marriott Rewards 2009 Program Enhancements. For convenience, here is the 2009 point redemption schedule:

3ad23937.jpg

As you review the above table, you may be overcome with "sticker shock". Marriott Rewards recently announced several promotions that merit MVCI owner consideration if you Trade for Points:

On behalf of the MVCI owners actively participating in MarriottRewardsInsiders, I extend a cordial invitation to join in the discussion about tighter brand integration between Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards. Our objective is to support greater inclusion of owners in the Marriott Vacation Club brand within the Marriott Rewards program and foster a clearer sense of Fair Value Exchange when you opt to Trade For Points. For more information on the current topics, point your browser to Marriott Rewards Insiders. Marriott Rewards Insiders is an online travel community comprised of members in Marriott Rewards. You will need your Marriott Rewards membership ID to join and Login.

Note: The Marriott Vacation Club brand is NOT currently listed as a participating brand in the Redeem 4 Get the 5th Night Free Pointsavers promotion. Subject to availability, owners and non-owners may redeem points for MVCI studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom villas but NOT using Pointsavers.

Last edited:

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
DaveM

May I post the results (bar chart) at Marriott Rewards Insiders along with the link back to TUGBBS? Specifically, I would like to post this screen capture of the survey:

MarriottOwnershipSurvey.jpg

According to the TUGBBS Terms & Conditions, posts are copyrighted material and permission of the author must be given. Who do I contact to receive such permission?

Thanks,

TJCNewYork

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Please don't post the bar chart, as it is copyrighted.

What you should do is post a link to the post that has the bar chart. You can get the link by double-clicking on the post # in the upper right corner of the post. That post will then be the only page on your screen and the link to that post will appear on your web browser's web address line.

Or simply post a link to this thread.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
Please don't post the bar chart, as it is copyrighted.

What you should do is post a link to the post that has the bar chart. You can get the link by double-clicking on the post # in the upper right corner of the post. That post will then be the only page on your screen and the link to that post will appear on your web browser's web address line.

Or simply post a link to this thread.

Will do, thanks!

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are glad that are in the Marriott system - although we bought on whim (pre-build in Las Vegas/Chateau). Friends of ours tried to convince us in the past, and we always said no - and then, we saw a model in Las Vegas (and that town is NOT our speed . . ). We have had many nice vacations on trades, but now wish we owned in FLorida instead. We wish that Marriott would let us make some kind of permanenet swap - although we were told that they will *buy low, sell high* to us - and no, we do not want to buy additional Marriott property. The fees alone - every time you turn around - are enought of a deterrent. Thinking maybe about something on the For Sale ads here - if the right deal comes up. I have learned much here at TUG - although some of the questions are still over my head. Casn't beat Marriot quality at their places - but it comes at a price.

VacationLand

Reaction score
Marriott timeshare ownership has been mostly positive, a few issues with the exchange company has proven to be unpleasant, nothing that hasn't been resolved with patients & professionalism.

I have and will continue to recommend MVCI to friends and family.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never been to Marriott Monarch. I like that we can get every year points. I don't like the "special assesments." :annoyed:

Aggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There Are Choices

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH....It is fact that MarkSue, Read the dialog, Hates Marriott;
You have a choice...,sell...sell..and move on....Our 10 plus years At the Aruba Ocean Club has been GREAT!!!!! With new faces and a refurb; We can't wait for our next vacation...Oh, We have other Marriott Timeshares...Great..Great.:cheer: :cheer: :whoopie: :whoopie:

chc818

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible time getting summer weeks

The Platinum period is includes too many months for West Coast Newport Coast timeshares. It runs to December.

If you want summer months in Newport Coast, Ca, then forget it. You have about 6 months of owners trying to get weeks in the 3 months of summer.

It is not a lottery system. It is not a rotation of assignments. It is a free-for-all scramble on the phone or internet with a lot of disappointing results.

They brokers try to sell more weeks to the vacationers during the summer because they are happier than the vacationers who got stuck with a week outside of the summer.

Cheaper to rent the unti from someone who were lucky enough to successfully get the weeks in the summer.

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this is a pervasive problem, getting in on high season in MOW. This is my first Marriott TS and it's turning me off in a bad way. For 2 years now, I couldn't stay on my own resort (I'm a Gold owner and wonders if I should've went for Platinum). Does the Platinum owners have the same problem due to the resort's popularity? We tried to get in a few days earlier (I thought we have 13 months advance) and was told it was too early. Tried a few days after and it was already fully booked.

Is it this ridiculous to get in ? I'm also a Disney owner, but I'm not having this same experience. So yea, I'm pretty bummed about this so far. :annoyed:

You mentioned you own GOLD at Marriott Ocean Watch? Are you trying to get in there during the last couple weeks of August through Labor Day? If so, I think you will have a challenge on your hands, because you paid for a Gold week, but it is still an EXTREMELY DESIRABLE time of year for many families to travel. I feel for you. We own SILVER at MOW, and have no trouble getting in around September 12, a time of year we love in Myrtle. IMHO, Marriott should have extended the Platinum season through Labor Day, had a very short GOLD season in September, then continued on with SILVER as they currently do. JMHO

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want summer months in Newport Coast, Ca, then forget it. You have about 6 months of owners trying to get weeks in the 3 months of summer.

Cheaper to rent the unti from someone who were lucky enough to successfully get the weeks in the summer.
Not sure how much NCV summer months rent for ... but anyways, we have been lucky enough to exchange into NCV the past two Jul4th's using our Platinum MMC. (well NOT the official Jul 4th platinum plus week, but check out the day of...and that counts as a great week in my book nevertheless). I also have a reservation for Thanksgiving week for this year, which I think is a great time to go down south to visit family! A couple of years ago, we did exchanged for back-to-back weeks starting labor day. Weather was great, traffic was not horrible - and all this with two 1-bd non-Marriott units.

Last edited:

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pleased with our Marriott ownership and looking forward to our first stay at a Marriott timeshare. In August 2009, we purchased a 3 BR platinum unit at Marriott's Grande Vista. Wanted to book spring break 2010 at MGV but there was no availability for Saturday check-in by the time we closed on the unit. Read the TUG thread about turning lemons into lemonade, locked off the unit, and booked 2010 Memorial Day week. Exchanged the 2 BR unit for a 2 BR at Wyndham Kona Resort on the Big Island for spring break 2010 :cheer: . Exchanged the studio for a 2BR at Marriott's Royal Palm for week 52 :whoopie: Looking forward to visiting Disney and Harry Potter World this year!

We love Hawaii so our next purchase was a 2BR Mountain view unit at Marriott's Ko Olina. Waiting for this unit to show up in my Marriott account. :annoyed: Our first trip to that timeshare will be in February 2011 to celebrate our anniversary and attend the NFL Pro Bowl.

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we could use a new poll. I also used to be very happy, but not now. With the new point system, it will be hard to even recoup your yearly maintenance and conversion fee, let alone get value out of the investment. Do you think they will increase the number of points they give us to turn in our unit?

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we could use a new poll. I also used to be very happy, but not now. With the new point system, it will be hard to even recoup your yearly maintenance and conversion fee, let alone get value out of the investment. Do you think they will increase the number of points they give us to turn in our unit?

Are you referring to the yet-to-be-rolled out Marriott internal exchange program? If so, it's way too early to be unhappy, we need to wait and see it.

You also refer to the Marriott Rewards turn-in points. Those are different that the new proposed internal exchange program points.
Others, please correct me if I'm wrong... Thanks.

sdgaskill1

TUG Member
Reaction score
How happy are you with Marriott?

We owned the Kauai Beach Club for 12 years. We love Marriott Hotels, have a charge card, and still plan to support their wonderful hotels. We recently sold our Hawaii Marriott because of the following: the maintenance fees keep rising and we think are out of range now that we are retired, we were accessed very high fees for repairs from hurricain damage, the air fares seem to constantly be out of reach, as of June American Airlines no longer accepts Marriott points, and we think we had enough expense and enjoyed many years in Hawaii. Marriott would not buy back and suggested we go to the resale market, which we did. Now we believe Mexico to be a better value for us., and we have a timeshare there, not a Marriott, which is a great value.
We never traded our Hawaii Marriott, but did trade into Mariott with other timeshares we owned. They do have a quality assurrance component which we like as they are always up scale units. Sandra Gaskill

msbrinkley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poll

I would be interested in seeing similar poll questions for other systems. Has this been done?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

msbrinkley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton, Hyatt polls discussing owner satisfaction would be good to see. Certainly great value in this Marriott one.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy?

Generally, yes, with the actual condo product, other than the thundering herd effect at some resorts (poor soundproofing between floors). Getting up at 5:30am every Thursday in July and August each summer until I hit the lottery or run out of dollars, not so much. July 8 oughta be telling, with the new 'enhancement' running behind the scenes.

Not sure how much NCV summer months rent for

In the past, I've gotten up to 2500/wk. Lately, it's around 2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.