TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

How does use year alignment work?

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by liquidmas, Nov 8, 2019.

1. liquidmas

liquidmas TUG Member

I was considering a resale contract. My use year is Jan 1st. If I purchased a contract with a June 1st use year, when would they align? Would transfer points have June to Dec 31st use or would they push forward and begin Jan 2021 if purchased now and transferred March 2020?
    Thanks for your responses?

Mike

2. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    I can tell you from past experience If it transfers in March 2020 you will have use of 2020 points until Dec 31st. Points when aligned are not prorated. as they were in the past. The June 1st points are considered 2021 points and are pushed forward without a partial year proration. I have had many discussions on the non proration of points and how it is short changing a new owner. Also under the new system all points transfer to new owner even if old owner used the current use year points. Last week someone stated points were removed from their account because previous owner used the current use year points.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  3. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Bay Club of Sandestin
    Margaritaville St. Thomas
    Williamsburg Plantation
    Vacation Villages at Parkway
    As I mentioned in a previous thread, the full transfer of points seems to be a bug in the process that automatically transfers points. When that owner reported the issues they were having, Wyndham dug deeper. That’s when they took points away from the new owner. They took away points the previous owner already used. If the previous owner goes into a negative balance, that may happen to the new owner. They will lose the points that were transferred, that should have not transferred to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    I know it is not a bug in the system. I also thought it was a glitch in the new system and had a hard time believing that points could transfer to a new owner if none were available for the current use year. This year I have been told by Wyndham all points transfer if they are available or not. Last year Wyndham told me my negative balance would be zeroed out Jan 1st and it was. This year Wyndham wanted to charge me $12/1000 on my negative balance to have it zero out. The negative balances were created from the selling of deeds after all points in my bucket were used for the current use year. Very frustrating sometimes not knowing what the rules are when transferring deeds in or out. What was true last year may not be the case this year.

5. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Bay Club of Sandestin
    Margaritaville St. Thomas
    Williamsburg Plantation
    Vacation Villages at Parkway
    It’s been my experience, that when they do not have an answer, they make stuff up because they don’t want to admit they don’t know. I believe this is the case with you.

Just because it’s not available, doesn’t mean the system will not try to transfer it. No one in their right mind would intentionally allow it to go that far in the negative. They would have stopped the transfer if they expected you to have all the points. The system transferred it and allowed you to go into the negative because the code allowed it to go into the negative. It allowed it, because there was no sanity check in the code to say, “If the ending balance is negative, stop transfer”. I’ve worked with developers for years. I’ve been on IT for going on 25 years. I saw stuff like this all the time. There should have been a visual verification after the transfer. If there is, they should instruct the people transferring points, notify IT when you see something buggy. I suspect they are ignoring it, and letting someone else deal with it. That whole transfer department is a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandi Bo likes this.
  6. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    I contacted them last year on this negative balance issue trying to tell them its a glitch in the new system. The end result was having 3 of the reps on the phone call attacking me for using my ownership in a way it works for me. Their solution this year is to charge me $12/1000 on a negative balance moving forward after this year. I spent more time arguing this issue with Wyndham then I would like to admit. It was like banging my head on a wall talking to them.

7. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    615300 negative this year. Last year was more.

8. capital city

capital city TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
    Richelle I thought you were talking to yourself until I hit the show ignored comments button and I see that its even worse than that. Stop before serious therapy is needed

9. Sandi Bo

Sandi Bo TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ocean Walk, Bonnet Creek, Alexandria, Williamsburg, National Harbor, South Shore, Canterbury
    I felt like I had a very good discussion with a senior Owner Services rep following the Owners Meeting. They had Owner Services reps available in the lobby. My experience with points pro-ration has not been good (most of my contracts, developer and resale, have not been prorated). I was thankful for the opportunity to discuss this face-to-face with someone who knew what they were talking about.

My Owner Services person was involved in the great use year alignment of 2014/15 (I forget the exact dates). Here explanation is as follows:

* All of your contracts should be the same use year. If you are buying developer points, the use year of a new contract SHOULD be the same as your accounts use year (which should already be established) - no proration discussion needed.
    * At time of the great alignment, Wyndham offered a proration for all contracts, taking responsibility for cleaning up the multiple use year mess that was sitting out there (these are my words, not hers). Therefore, if you were aligned during the great alignment, you should have gotten a proration (I didn't, that's my beef, and she is checking into that). But most people did (or you should have at that time).
    * Moving forward, resale contracts should be aligned when transferred and there will be no proration as it's not Wyndham's 'fault'. If they prorate a transferring contract, what happens if you sell it and the next person has a different use year? They don't want to keep prorating points. Her advice - if you are buying resale - buy contracts with the use year in your account today (or be prepared to lose those months of usage).

As we all know, Wyndham has a hard time following consistent processes. The OS person agreed (of course) that the use year alignment needs to take place at the time of transfer and it often does not. They are working on that :)

I did not discuss what points will transfer with her. However, the last contract I purchased transferred the full amount of points for the current use year. They had deposited points so I was hoping for more. I requested an audit. They took points away (said the previous owner had used some).

dgalati likes this.