• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does the 13month benefit work?

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when we finally 'close' on our 2nd TS Marriott purchase in the coming weeks, when does our '13' month window for our two timeshares? One is Gold MV and one is Plat Harbour Lake.

I would assume that in late November I could book Christmas week for Harbour lake in 2018?

If I want to leverage my TS to get more weeks, should I lock them both off, make double reservations right away and then deposit?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The 2 weeks that you book must be back to back or concurrent and from 2 different ownerships. For example, 1 studio from one ownership and a studio or 1 BR from the other - the bookings may be concurrent or consecutive. Pay attention to seasons wrt to the dates/weeks of what you own. If they don't line up you won't benefit from 13-month bookings.

You may not book at 13 month simply because you own 2 weeks.

Yes to locking off, but it depends on the size you need. Smaller unit may not put in a request for a larger unit. You may snag a larger unit when you see the desired week show up in online search, and you will be asked a unit size upgrade fee.

If you put an ongoing search for a resort that only has 2BRs and you have used a smaller unit to request, II is supposed to contact you if you want to pay an upgrade fee, and they will hold it for 24 hours.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when we finally 'close' on our 2nd TS Marriott purchase in the coming weeks, when does our '13' month window for our two timeshares? One is Gold MV and one is Plat Harbour Lake.

I would assume that in late November I could book Christmas week for Harbour lake in 2018?

If I want to leverage my TS to get more weeks, should I lock them both off, make double reservations right away and then deposit?

What is MV?

In order to take advantage of the 13-mos Reservation Window for Weeks, you must own Weeks with seasonal calendars that allow you to line up consecutive/concurrent intervals from multiple owned Weeks, or, components of multiple owned Lock-Off Weeks. And, the intervals must be available for booking confirmed reservations when you call in.

The Harbour Lake seasonal calendar is here; Plat weeks are 1-17, 22-34 and 51. Whatever "MV" is, if any of the Gold weeks in its calendar line up consecutively/concurrently with the HL Plat weeks (good chance of that with so many Plat weeks at HL,) and there is availability when you call, you can book them at 13-mos out from the first check-in day. Use the owners.marriottvactionclub.com tool to figure out the Inventory Release day: sign in, click on "Education & Owner Resources" --> "Helpful Tools" --> "When Can I Reserve" -->"Using My Week" --> click on the resort name for the first week of a consecutive stay, or either resort if a concurrent stay --> input your desired first check-in day and you'll get the release dates for both 12- and 13-mos reservation windows.

Note 13-mos Weeks reservations cannot be instantly booked via the online reservation system. There's a way to send a request for 13-mos bookings via the "Use My Week" portal but those aren't handled until the release days and then by reps only when they get a break from the phone lines, so if you're looking for high-demand/holiday reservations it's important to call in on the release day as soon as the window opens at 9AM eastern. If on the release day there is no availability when you get through, remember that you have the 13-mos advantage throughout the entire month before the 12-mos window opens, so call in periodically because booked intervals may be cancelled and re-entered into the system. If you're still not successful throughout that month remember that only 50% of available inventory is released at the 13-mos window and the remainder at 12-mos, so be ready and waiting at 9AM on the 12-mos release day.

*Beginning with Post #33 in this thread there's quite a bit of info related to the 13-mos window and how those reservations can be booked/used: Planning to purchase Marriott and had a few clarifying questions

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe it is Grande Vista.
I beleive so, the OP indicated here that they got a deal on Grande Vista.

The problem witha gold Grande Vista and a Platinum Harbour Lake is that not many of the weeks are really super prime to require the 13 month booking window. Perhaps the best option would be to book the Memorial Day week which is often the last week of gold at either property or the first week of Platinum. You could always later cancel the week that is the first week of June that is not Memorial Day week and book a higher TDI like a holiday week. Memorial Day week is not super tough to reserve at Grande Vista but if you want to lock off and book it at Harbour Lake, it can be tougher due to the limited number of lock off units there.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If it's Gold Grande Vista and Platinum Harbour Lakes, you likely won't need the 13 month window nor will you want the weeks you could get consecutively in all likelihood. Your best bet consecutively would likely be week 50/51. 26 & 51 will likely be the best Platinum weeks for II and 18-21 the best Gold weeks. While you could book consecutively for 50/51 or 21/22 and cancel one later to rebook, I doubt you'll want to. If you canceled the week 50, you might not be able to rebook it for a better week and as a minimum, it's be short notice. And to do so for week 21/22 really won't help you get a higher demand week for the platinum HL. In part I'd look at when you want to travel related to what's better, week 26 or 51, basically which one gives you the most flexibility for exchanging. As for whether to lockoff or not, it also depends on where/how you plan to use it. I have 2 Platinum trading weeks and I usually take one as a 2 BR and L/O the other. That way I have flexibility.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I beleive so, the OP indicated here that they got a deal on Grande Vista.

The problem witha gold Grande Vista and a Platinum Harbour Lake is that not many of the weeks are really super prime to require the 13 month booking window. Perhaps the best option would be to book the Memorial Day week which is often the last week of gold at either property or the first week of Platinum. You could always later cancel the week that is the first week of June that is not Memorial Day week and book a higher TDI like a holiday week. Memorial Day week is not super tough to reserve at Grande Vista but if you want to lock off and book it at Harbour Lake, it can be tougher due to the limited number of lock off units there.

Yes, I meant to write MGV (Marriott Grande Vista), sorry 'bout that..

Regarding usage, we only want to use one of our two TS for Memorial Day in Orlando, the rest we'd want to trade to get something better. We can't use the 3BR MGV though until 2019 so I think we can't do the 13 month option anyways.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your best bet consecutively would likely be week 50/51. 26 & 51 will likely be the best Platinum weeks for II and 18-21 the best Gold weeks. While you could book consecutively for 50/51 or 21/22 and cancel one later to rebook, I doubt you'll want to.

So it sounds like the 13 month window is only for booking back to back weeks? We don't need that, we just thought that if we 'owned' two Marriot Timeshares (anywhere) that we could book whatever week wanted in our category at the 13 month marker, not wait until 12. So if Christmas is #1 week for our Harbour Lake and Memorial Day is the #1 week for our MGV, we wanted to book them both as soon as our window opens...but it sounds like that's not an option for us.

Basically we just want to book the best weeks so we can trade them for something else. Maybe lock off the Harbour lake and deposit the studio in II and then Lock off the 2BR and the studio at MGV and deposit them into II as well, only personally using the 1BR remaining from our Harbour lake for our Orlando trip...

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
So it sounds like the 13 month window is only for booking back to back weeks? We don't need that, we just thought that if we 'owned' two Marriot Timeshares (anywhere) that we could book whatever week wanted in our category at the 13 month marker, not wait until 12. So if Christmas is #1 week for our Harbour Lake and Memorial Day is the #1 week for our MGV, we wanted to book them both as soon as our window opens...but it sounds like that's not an option for us. ...

Right, you can only use the 13-mos window if you're booking consecutive/concurrent intervals from multiple owned Weeks. If you're booking one Week or the lock-off components of one Week for the Christmas holiday and then the other for Memorial Day, you'll have to use the 12-mos windows separately. The same "When Can I Reserve?" tool will still help you figure out the Inventory Release day, and the good thing is that 12-mos inventory can be booked online.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This guide may help address this and other reservation questions.
http://www.marriottvacationclub.com...ls/howToUseGuide/131591_67_LegacyDHTUG_FN.pdf
Multi‐Week Owners may reserve concurrent and consecutive weeks 13 months before the first check-in date of the week of their intended stay. For example, to reserve the week checking in on December 15, 16, or 17, 2017; you may make a reservation as early as 9 a.m. Eastern time on November 15, 2016.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the 13 month window is only for booking back to back weeks? We don't need that, we just thought that if we 'owned' two Marriot Timeshares (anywhere) that we could book whatever week wanted in our category at the 13 month marker, not wait until 12. So if Christmas is #1 week for our Harbour Lake and Memorial Day is the #1 week for our MGV, we wanted to book them both as soon as our window opens...but it sounds like that's not an option for us.

Basically we just want to book the best weeks so we can trade them for something else. Maybe lock off the Harbour lake and deposit the studio in II and then Lock off the 2BR and the studio at MGV and deposit them into II as well, only personally using the 1BR remaining from our Harbour lake for our Orlando trip...
If your MGV week is in the FL club, you might have additional options at other FL club resorts.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this thread. I also followed thru on the suggested link. It cleared up a misconception I had and as a result I have purchased an additional Marriott property to qualify for the 13 mo. window.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for posting this thread. I also followed thru on the suggested link. It cleared up a misconception I had and as a result I have purchased an additional Marriott property to qualify for the 13 mo. window.
Glad I could help :)

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help :)

I would suggest you do some reading on the community boards on II before you make your decisions on locking off and what to deposit on II.
You can read around on the boards, use the search box (studio, or trading power, etc) or post a question.
Many feel that studios have very limited trading power now on II (even in what they show when doing manual searches). If you are hoping to trade from something “better” a studio in Orlando may not get you there.