TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you pack for a vacation?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by DaveNW, May 12, 2019.

1. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

Me, too! I have a lot- mostly soaps and shampoos and some toothpaste. We rarely fly for vacations so they rarely get used- it's crazy. Good idea about donating.

2. rboesl

rboesl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    Villa del Arco Cobo
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Vacation Village at Bonaventure
    Wow! I'm kinda amazed at how organized most of the respondents are. Maybe it's a "guy thing" (as my wife calls it) but I usually have no plan before I start. The day before I open the suitcase (carry on sized), I consider where I'm traveling to, pull a selection of clothes from the closet and dresser, put it all in packing cubes and I'm good to go. We usually travel for just 7 days at a time so I usually pack 3 days of clothes. Along with the clothes I'm wearing I'm good for 4 days with a load of laundry done mid-week and end of week to have clean clothes when I go home. Don't use much in the way of toiletries. Shampoo & soap supplied by resort/hotel is sufficient. Just need my razor, electric toothbrush, and toothpaste. Meds, chargers, and electronics (including camera) go in the backpack.

My wife, on the other hand, needs cajoling to start packing which usually reaches its peak the night before the trip. She usually has 25% of her suitcase taken up with toiletries. Most of which goes unused but "absolutely must go with in case I need it." I'm always amazed how there must be 3 different shampoo brands, multiple bars of soap, dishwasher detergent for 3-4 loads, and laundry detergent for 3-4 loads. We don't use that much when home in a week.

Once she's selected the clothes she plans on taking they're set on the bed. There's usually enough clothes for 5 or 6 days to be packed. Of which, at least, 2 days never get used. It's then up to me to make everything fit in her suitcase (also carry on sized). Her meds all go in her purse.

silentg, mpumilia and DaveNW like this.
  3. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    I have something like this. I labeled the bottles for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion and refill when I return from my trip

TSA Carry On Approved Refillable Travel Accessories - 4 Pack (3 fl. oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4PR3PY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jPp2Cb96Y288P

mpumilia likes this.
  4. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    I always empty out our bags after each trip, lest we forget what's in there.

To pack, less is more. I use the smallest size bag that I can get away with. After stuffing it with the minimum amount of clothes, I add add a bathing suit (maybe sandals) or a sweater. Lastly, toiletries, meds, and electronics. For flying, I have a small carry-on for my tablet, headphones & reading material.

DaveNW and mpumilia like this.
  5. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

If driving we pack two large stackable storage boxes with all of the non-clothing stuff (food, paper/plastic goods, beverages, beach/other stuff). Wife packs too many clothes, but it isn't worth me trying to change that. I pack light.

If flying, we do the same routine, but pack the second box (paper/plastic, other) in a large suit case. Rest goes in another suit case and then two carry on bags.

I pack the day before every time. If driving, I pack the car the night before.

DaveNW and mpumilia like this.
  6. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Where do you stay at timeshares where the shampoo and soap are replenished? Hotels yes, but even there sometimes the soap isn't replaced daily, and sometimes they have a combination shampoo/conditioner. And if you rent a vacation house, many times there is nothing. Luckily I've thought to bring a bar of soap in these instances.

mpumilia likes this.
  7. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Here is how I packed in my carry on for the few days (3 nights) we will be in NH. It would look pretty much the same for 7 or even 14 days, except maybe I would engage the depth zipper to stick a couple of more shirts in. IMG_1710.jpg

Notice how the pants fold over the shirts and other articles of clothing keeping everything compact and neat.( I do not roll anything up). Then I will use the buckle once I am ready to close it up.

I have nothing in the outer compartments, but on a plane trip I would have things like paperwork and a few other items in them.

silentg likes this.
  8. elaine

elaine TUG Member

If it’s a US destination, esp if timeshare, I also just throw some stuff in the suitcase. If it’s more of a specialty trip, such as hiking, photography, etc. or to Europe then I need to check off my list.
    I’m gonna get some cubes. Also tired of rummaging through suitcase to find stuff.

clifffaith, mpumilia and DaveNW like this.
  9. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

You just go ask the maid when she is cleaning another room, or if you are a lousy so and so you can just take it from the cart. Same with laundry detergent. It's nice to tip and then you usually get more than you need.

10. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

Even Worldmark provides shampoo now ( for our first 15 years with them they didn't), and we aren't picky, so we just use what is provided at timeshares or hotels. And I always have an extra tiny conditioner packed for those places that offer shampoo only. It only takes a tiny dab to do our short hair. Our dentist gives us tiny toothpastes, and we go 8 times a year if we aren't dragged back in for cavities, so several of those are always in the toiletries bag.

silentg and mpumilia like this.
  11. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

We have a zillion toothbrushes from the dentist. But we use electric toothbrushes and usually take them on vacation.

For a short few days trip I would just use a regular toothbrush (have them in our timeshare box) but hubby refuses and ends up taking his. Since he takes the charger anyway, then I end up taking my electric toothbrush also.

Sometimes our son might forget his toothbrush when he visits us at the timeshare but we always have a brand new spare.

12. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

Re: shoes

Best suggestion I ever got from the Rick Steves boards ( well second best after panty liners) is black athletic shoes. No one is looking at the shoes a 63 year old woman has on her feet under her black dress slacks, so they are just fine for fancy meals or nights at the ballet. In the US I don't bring a second pair of shoes besides flip flops. If we are going to Europe I feel I need a second pair of shoes in case first pair gets wet or I have a blister which would appreciate a change of shoes. Then I bring black casual slip ons that also make it easy to take shoes off for sleeping on the plane over and back.

13. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I've been doing that for years at work!

SteelerGal, silentg and clifffaith like this.
  14. Luanne

Well, that assumes you see the maid, and/or the cart. I think I'll just continue to bring my own. I like it much better than what they usually provide at hotels anyway.

15. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
    Brewster Green (two weeks).
    I take out any that need using before I might travel again. Some of the ones I keep ready to go can be refilled from my larger bottles at home. Others I re-purchase. Some I just have to do without. With skin care, I throw in whatever little sample packs or bottles I get. It doesn't seem as if the airline security is being as stringent on taking them out of my bag when going through security but then I have been getting TSA Pre-check lately on my flights.

silentg, klpca and mpumilia like this.
  16. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I have been traveling with these Ecco shoes for years: https://us.ecco.com/ecco-felicia-stretch-21704351052.html?dwvar_21704351052_color=51052#start=1 I have them in black and navy. They are so comfortable that I can wear them all day and night, every day. They are soft and have no seams to rub blisters and they wipe clean with a damp cloth. They are somewhat water proof too. They have great support for my feet. Under long pants, they look like I'm wearing boots. I do take a pair of ballet flats for dressier wear and a pair of flip flops for pool or slippers.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    silentg, mpumilia and clifffaith like this.
  17. pittle

pittle Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
    We fly to PV 3 weeks each year with carry-on bags only, We do laundry around day 11-12. I have laundry pods for that.

Swimsuits & undies do not take a lot of space as they can compress tightly in zip-loc bags. (I do the panty liner thing too). I hang my shirts on top of one another on a hanger before folding to go into the carry-on and they do not wrinkle. I wear my "heaviest" shoes and pack beach flip-flops and some lightweight sandals. I roll hubbies t-shirts. We also take taco seasoning packets & disposable salt & pepper shakers in Yeti 30oz tumblers.

We do not go out to "dress-up" places. I generally have one nicer shirt to wear with capri pants and will wear it as much as needed. BUT, my husband says that even if we go to the same place and tip the waiter, he does not care if he has seen me in the same outfit every day! Generally we will never see people again and have already warned family that we are on vacation and not there for a fashion show! Also there are stores!

Our electronics seem to take more space than anything! We have a plastic shoe-box in the bottom of a small duffle-bag with all the chargers, HDMI cables, portable router, 2 phones, 2 laptops and 2 Kindles, plus binoculars & camera. This is hubbies under seat carry-on. I have a Vera Bradley tote that has the toiletries, hair stuff and a change of clothes for each of us.

November 2018 was the first time that I wore everything that I took! That was my goal and I still have the list that I made for that trip. I only make a list so that I can check off that everything is in the bags.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  18. Ralph Sir Edward

Ralph Sir Edward TUG Member

When I was a college student, I used to travel a weekend in a briefcase.

Now I'm old and affluent, I keep a "go bag". A wheeled carry on, with various pockets. I've also gotten very soft, I don't camp any more. . . .:D

I keep the go bag packed, that's why it's called a go bag - grab and go a drop of a hat.

Contents.

High quality music player. (Ibasso)
    Ebook reader (with 2000+ book library - who knows what I may want to read)
    data pack (can hold up to 36 Gigabytes if fully loaded - it isn't of course, but it can also hold a passport. it's the size of a ladies clutch purse.)
    2 set of clothes. One long pants, one short pants. (I only travel to warm places voluntarily).
    A small video player.
    A Sony Bloggie 720P camcorder.
    Charger for cell phone (non-smart), charger with several cords for charging the other electronics.
    Noise cancelling headphones. 15 year old Sonys.
    2 HDMI cables, one headphone to RCA cable.
    1 T-shirt, 1 swimsuit.
    Quart Ziplock bag with air travel size shaving cream, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, disposable razor. (expirables refreshed every year)
    vitamins, in 2 week snap cases (x2), refreshed every year.
    current rescue inhaler, just in case. (Had an asthma attack in Waikoloa - Had to get hauled to the ER, $1000 for the nebulizer. Now I pack a rescue inhaler, buy a new one every year. It hasn't been needed since. :shrug:)
    Electric toothbrush/charger.
    Hairbrush. (The need keeps getting less and less :D)
    Oops, a pair of 8x20 compact binoculars.

Grab the bag, stuff my meds (currently one prescription) in, and boogie.

Of course, I go to timeshares that have Washer/Dryers, and buy more clothes if I need them.

When I go to Hawaii, I have everything else I might need in a 4x4x8 storage room.

silentg, cd5, DaveNW and 1 other person like this.
  19. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

Those look really comfortable. I actually have a pair of shoes that is very similar to those that I got 2 years ago for under $30 at Payless and they are so darn comfortable- like wearing cushion y slippers. I should have bought 2 pairs. But so far, they have held out very well and I continue to wear them. They are not water proof though. They are light weight and for warmer weather.

silentg and Glynda like this.
  20. Luanne

Those look good. For walking I usually do wear athletic shoes because I need a comfortable shoe with a lot of support. I'm not sure if those would be enough for me. Right now I'm trying to find another pair of shoes I can take for our trip to Chicago and NYC that I can use for dressier things, that would still be comfortable to walk in.

silentg likes this.
  21. rboesl

rboesl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    Villa del Arco Cobo
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Vacation Village at Bonaventure
    They don't have to be replenished daily. It's only my wife & I traveling and she packs everything she uses to wash body & hair. So, having the soap & shampoo replenished mid-week is fine. But, even if we do run short a stop by the front desk usually results in fresh supplies.

22. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I wear the Ecco pair year round. With socks in colder weather. If anything, they are probably not for hot weather.

mpumilia likes this.
  23. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    You might be surprised by the support in the Ecco. They are a walking shoe company.

Snazzylass likes this.
  24. Luanne

I'll have to try them in my search for shoes. Thanks.

Glynda likes this.
  25. Kel

Kel TUG Member

I have checklists in Excel for different types of trips (International fly trips, US fly trips, condo drive trips, RV camping trips). I don’t want to forget anything so I always use my checklists. The lists are always changing (adding items and deleting items). They are comprehensive lists and include everything from sporting equipment, beach chairs, beach towels, food to take, food to buy when we get there, sunscreen, ziplock bags, vitamins, clothes, backup glasses, travel documents, cold tablets, phone chargers, etc.

I have a checklist for toiletries and items that I carry in my backpack/overnight bag and it is always stocked/restocked and ready to go. We are traveling 5 to 6 months a year to as many as 12 different locations. I rarely forget anything anymore. My husband packs his clothes and the sporting equipment we are using on the trip (dive gear, kite surfing gear, disc golf, mountain bike, ski equipment, etc.). I pack my clothes, toiletries, food, etc.

I even have an Excel checklist for exiting the house (turn off AC, close blinds, hold mail, lock doors, turn off lights, etc.).

Once the checklists were input it made everything easy. I print a checklist before we leave and we are good to go.

stmartinfan, Glynda and DaveNW like this.