• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you feel about fruitcake - A holiday poll part deux

Do you like fruitcake?

• Yes - for a doorstop

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Yes - for regifting

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Yes - if it is done correctly

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • No way

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Meh - I can take it or leave it

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Yes - any kind, doesn't matter

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I like fruitcake if it is done correctly. There are some commercially available fruitcakes which are worth buying:
  • Collin Street Bakery DeLuxe Fruitcake
  • Trappist Abbey Fruitcake
  • Assumption Abbey Fruitcakes
  • Gethsemani Farms
My mom made a great fruitcake but I could never get her to write down the recipe :oops:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I said "no way", but there was one fruitcake I had that I liked. It was a white fruitcake that a friend of my mother's gave us. However I must not have liked it enough to try to find another one.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I said "no way", but there was one fruitcake I had that I liked. It was a white fruitcake that a friend of my mother's gave us. However I must not have liked it enough to try to find another one.
Look into Collin Street Bakery, the have a Blonde Pecan Fruitcake and an Apricot Pecan Fruitcake

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Another skewed poll. 75% of the answers are negative. How about a "I can take it or leave it" option? I don't dislike fruitcake, I don't mind eating it, but I won't seek it out. :shrug:

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mom make the best fruit cakes, with real fruit slices, pineapple chunks, cherries, eggs, nuts (pecans and walnuts).
She would mix her flour, eggs, butter, sugar, nuts & etc in a big white mixing bowl. After she had baked this fruitcake in the oven;, she would cover it with some kind of white cloth and pour home brew cherry wine on top.
Finally, this fruit cake would be place in a round metal cake pan box w/lip to keep the smell inside for one to two (2) months before we could have one slice .
It was delicious along with her coconut pies and coconut cakes.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another skewed poll. 75% of the answers are negative. How about a "I can take it or leave it" option? I don't dislike fruitcake, I don't mind eating it, but I won't seek it out. :shrug:

Dave
Added, the top two were supposed to be funny :rolleyes:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We grew up eating Claxton Fruit Cake, and that's the only kind I like. It's moist, very heavy, and is full of fruit and nuts. The only way to improve it would be to soak it in Jamaican rum for awhile.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My mom maked the best fruit cakes, with real fruit slices, nuts (pecans and walnuts)
She would mix her flour, butter, sugar, nuts & etc in a big white mixing bowl. After she had baked this fruitcake in the oven;, she would cover it with some kind of white cloth and pour home made cherry wine on top.
Finally, this fruit cake would be place in a round metal cake pan wfor one to to (2) months before we could have one slice .
It was delicious along with her coconut pies and coconut cakes.
My mom had a molasses batter that had a nice cake component. It was a nice balance of nuts, candied fruit and cake. Like your mom, she wrapped them in cheesecloth and soaked them with brandy for weeks.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Added, the top two were supposed to be funny :rolleyes:

I got that the top two were meant to be funny. But your entire poll was written from an "I don't like fruitcake" perspective. Not scientific, certainly, and I accept that. I've changed my vote. Thanks!

Dave

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I haven’t had fruitcake in many years, but do like it when done well. My cake of choice this time of year is now Panettone. We usually pick up a loaf at Costco.

Best regards.

Mike

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I loved fruitcake before I found out I could not have it because it is made with wheat. I miss it lots. Have not been able to find one gluten free that tastes good.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I loved fruitcake before I found out I could not have it because it is made with wheat. I miss it lots. Have not been able to find one gluten free that tastes good.
You might want to look into:
Date Lady Fruitcake
Ingredients: Date Lady Organic Dates, Cage-Free Eggs, Date Lady Organic Date Sugar, Organic Coconut Oil, Cassava Flour, Rum, Organic Sultanas, Organic Pecans, Organic Dried Cranberries (with apple juice concentrate, sunflower oil), Organic Date Syrup, Organic Lemon Zest, Orange Zest, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Nutmeg, Organic Clove, Organic Allspice, Baking Soda, Sea Salt

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You might want to look into:
Date Lady Fruitcake
Ingredients: Date Lady Organic Dates, Cage-Free Eggs, Date Lady Organic Date Sugar, Organic Coconut Oil, Cassava Flour, Rum, Organic Sultanas, Organic Pecans, Organic Dried Cranberries (with apple juice concentrate, sunflower oil), Organic Date Syrup, Organic Lemon Zest, Orange Zest, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Nutmeg, Organic Clove, Organic Allspice, Baking Soda, Sea Salt
Thank you. I got it last year and was disappointed. Really nothing like fruitcake.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Fruitcake would make a good boat anchor.

Johnny Carson: “The worst Christmas gift is fruitcake…
There is only one fruitcake in the entire world, and
people keep sending it to each other, year after year.”

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Interesting... I’ve always hated fruit cakes because of the candied fruit. I never thought about other ways it could be prepared.

I just did a google search and found this receipe using dried fruit. I may have to try this one :cool:

From https://www.abeautifulplate.com/worlds-best-fruitcake/

This fruitcake is all about the dried fruit. And there is a ton of it in there.

Dried unsweetened apricots, cherries, figs, prunes, raisins, pears, peaches, apples–all of which gets soaked in dark rum the day before baking.

This gets folded into the batter the following day, along with fresh apple, slivered almonds, and lots of fresh lemon and orange zest–and baked in a loaf tin at a low temperature for nearly an hour and a half. [As you might notice in the recipe, you can also add dark chocolate, which is my dad’s and oldest sister’s favorite version.]

The resulting fruitcake is so incredibly moist and is perfectly balanced in sweetness. It really does taste like Christmas. And…here comes the fun part. To store it, you wrap it in sherry or triple sec soaked cheesecloth! Yes, lots and lots of booze.

Brush it with a simple apricot glaze and serve it sliced with a little bit of butter. You’ll definitely become a fruitcake convert for life!

7BDC8741-4BB1-4C0A-854B-074F5A4FE9B4.jpeg

Recipe

18E19548-C726-4CC0-8ED4-0C885D993E07.png

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Ew!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How sweet! Thank you. One day I might venture and bake one but my hope is one will be made gluten free that I like that I can buy.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning to my Tugs Families, Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I love fruitcake.
Every year, used to beg for Claxton at Christmas. (and others, better sometimes...)

One year, my mom made me my own fruitcake for Christmas (to share of course).
After viewing all the money, time and labor that went into making and fumigating that fruitcake....I knew that I was truly loved.

So, yes, I love fruitcake.....and my Mom.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taterhed, I totally forgot how much it had to costs to make a fruitcake and the time & labor it took my Mom to make a fruitcake over sixty years ago. Thanks you, for bringing back those special & wonderful moments from the past.

I just remember one year my Mom make an applesauce fruitcake; it was very moist and delicious with apple slices on top of the fruitcake.

Last edited: