• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2019] How Do You Calculate Your Break Even Point?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I just built it myself in Excel. One column for each year and rows with the relevant costs and benefits, and annual and cumulative totals.

I track a very basic cost / benefit analysis going back to 2007 in excel where the cost basis consists of: Total purchase price Marriott / Resale including closing fees, Maintenance Fees, Club dues, Interval Fees, Redweek membership fees less any Rental proceeds.

My "financial" benefit is a conservative value on the room rate for the number of nights at a resort.

Our breakeven point excluding the time value of money will be in 2020.

I do enjoy being forced to plan multiple vacations a year.

Last edited:

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the conversation is a bit circular but very interesting. I’m sure that everyone does some sort of CBA even though some use more qualitative over quantitative factors. A thorough analysis of value includes both. However, I view my ownership as the cost of vacationing the way I want to vacation. I don’t compare to vacation home ownership, VRBO, cruising, RVs, or hotels and resorts as they are as different as can be. I don’t even compare to other timeshare systems because I’m where I want to be. Of course I occasionally consider whether my recurring costs continue to satisfy my needs but not from a break even, turn a profit or could I do it a different way perspective. I admire the practicality of those who do the deep dive but I’m afraid if I did it I’d be vacationing at the pup tent resort in my back yard. I’m taking a stand here and amending my signature.:)
Cheers

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, Dean, cost is a very real consideration in any significant purchase and maybe more so when it comes to entertainment or vacations. The original question asked how we justified our acquisitions on a cost savings equation and quickly the responses went to the matter of value, that many of us look at the overall value to us rather than how we saved money compared to some other option by our purchases. It seems that the responses all pretty much fell into sync on that line of thought.
Basically my opinion is there is a cost and value component and one needs to consider both. There can be no real value without a reasonable cost for the situation and no matter how much the savings, one needs to get a value and enjoyment beyond just the costs. But it can be more of one than the other and for us, each system presents a different combination. Our Bluegreen gives us the best savings, Marriott the best value and DVC is a specialty option. But to pay more than one could do the same basic thing OOP on a consistent basis makes no sense. But one needs to look at a big picture, not just a given year or trip.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
For all of my timeshares, I do a simple formula: capital outlay-realistic resale price (could even be zero)/years of anticipated usage (I tend to use 20) + annual fee - cost of lodging that I would have rented.
Lodging that I would have rented doesn't mean Marriott, if I would not have paid $3700 for the week and would have stayed at no-name instead for $2k.
Then I add in the qualitative amount (say $250-$1K) of staying at a Marriott, better amenities (if picking no-name to compare), etc. and get my cost comparision. I do the same with II and RCI trades. If I traded into a higher value property, I add that savings to the pot to offset a year that I didn't get as much value. For example, we once traded (an non-Marriott) via RCI into a $3K Bermuda unit for about $1200 of our "cost." I added $1800 on my plus side of running total.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Let me make a point on the other side. Anyone that doesn't at least consider the costs is being foolish.

I'll grant you that point but by what metric should we be measuring it? ;)

I have no idea what the breakeven would be on our three Marriott Weeks and have no desire to try to figure it out. (Math.) My thinking has always been that after years of NOT forcing ourselves to get away on vacation every year, owning timeshares does exactly that. As far as the financials, I'm okay with the costs as long as our budget allows for them.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid $1500 for our two bedroom, Florida Club, gold season Grand Vista I think in 2008. I've been able to lock off and get two, at least two bedroom villas in various Marriott locations since then. Some even three bedroom. Maintenance fees are $1350 this year (about). $1500/ 10 years = $150 per year. $1350/2 villas = $675 per villa per week, or $96/night. I'm way ahead.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We treat how we exchange and use each property differently (note: these are not Marriott's, but the method should still apply):

Unit Will Sell For Close To What We Paid So BE Doesn't Matter: We purchased resale (OF Maui Vistana) which we will eventually sell for close to what we paid so BE doesn't matter much. (Prices have actually increased by $1 - 2k since we purchased resale.) Managing MF use and competitive purchase price is most important. Ensuring that we are either using the unit (MF is much less $ than rent) or trading for higher than MF is most important. If we include the purchase price, we hit BE year 3 vs. renting this unit. If we don't include the purchase price, we hit BE year one because the MF is significantly lower than renting the unit (and we could sell the unit for about the same price as we purchased.) The adage "location, location, location" really matters in this scenario because you expect this unit to hold or be close to its value when you sell. Examples include: DVC, Maui OF (MOC OF, WKORV north and south OF.)

Make Lemonade - Maximize Return Toward BE: We have developer unit (our first TS purchase) which at this point is a sunk cost so maximizing our future return is all that matters. In hindsight we should have purchased resale, however we are now making lemonade! We only stay at this expensive property or exchange it for other expensive properties so we always know that we are using those expensive points in a way that saves us rent for the same type of unit. This unit also includes a free breakfast and evening appetizer/drink lounge so we save on food in expensive NYC. We also sign up for as many heavily discounted VIP and bounceback stays, and use last minute cash discounts (in the HGVC system) to maximize our return and stretch our ownership. This unit also gives us several perks such as unlimited free reservations for our low cost trader units so these cost savings add up; last year we saved over $1000 in reservation fees alone. Although this purchase is a sunk cost, we are maximizing our return every time we use it toward BE.

Bought Inexpensive Resale So BE Doesn't Matter: We have an inexpensive Vegas resale "trader" unit with a < $1000 MF that we purchased for less than $5k in the HGVC system. We will probably give it away in the end, but we are getting fantastic trades worth at least 2x the MF. I don't need a spreadsheet to figure out the return on this one. If we give it away in 10 or 20 years we are still way ahead with < $5k at risk which translates to < $250/year after 20 years. We are saving many times more than $250 in rental fees every year with a 2 bdrm week, or 13 days in a one bdrm, or one month in a studio in HI for less than $1000.

For example, we just traded for a 3 bdrm OV penthouse in the Hilton Hawaiian Village July 4 weekend. The unit rents for almost $5000 a day. We recouped our buy-in price plus $1000 MF in just one trade. Plus we still have 2200 extra HGVC points to trade for a ski studio or Cabo 1 bdrm for 5 days. Although we were lucky to get this trade, you can see how the returns can vary.

Lastly, compared to developer prices we are saving a bundle with our resale purchases for high quality vacations.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why determining BE/ROI on my MVCI timeshare purchase is difficult at best - part II

I'm currently hiding from the midday sun in the Aruba Marriott Resort on the last day of my 'free' vacation - courtesy of MRPs accumulated mainly because of MVCI and transmogrified into a 5 night hotel+air package. More problematically (and thanks to the Platinum Premier Elite status MVCI gives me), I am in the nicest non-suite room in the hotel (not just nicest category) after they upgraded me from their lowest category room (the only one 'bookable' by points). And I've enjoyed 'free' $50 breakfasts every morning and numerous discounts during my stay. Meanwhile, my MVCI status gave me United Airlines status which got me an upgrade to first (one way) and priority access/boarding the other way.

How do I 'unpack' any of this and what should I compare it to? I normally take a 4-5 day vacation somewhere warm in January. I certainly could have gone somewhere cheaper than the Aruba Marriott...or more expensive for that matter. The same goes for the airfare.

Do I use the price of the Limited View room I booked or the Premium Ocean View room I received? And how do I quantify getting the highest, most ocean-y, shaded OV room? How do I factor in the ability to do a 5 night hotel+air when without MVCI I couldn't buy the hotel+air package. And how many mornings would I have splurged on the $50 breakfast vs the cheaper but less healthy and satisfying Starbucks option. Do I compare to First Class airfare (one way)? Do I factor in the price of United's Premier Access package the other way? All fun questions...

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
4\.
Why determining BE/ROI on my MVCI timeshare purchase is difficult at best - part II

I'm currently hiding from the midday sun in the Aruba Marriott Resort on the last day of my 'free' vacation - courtesy of MRPs accumulated mainly because of MVCI and transmogrified into a 5 night hotel+air package. More problematically (and thanks to the Platinum Premier Elite status MVCI gives me), I am in the nicest non-suite room in the hotel (not just nicest category) after they upgraded me from their lowest category room (the only one 'bookable' by points). And I've enjoyed 'free' $50 breakfasts every morning and numerous discounts during my stay. Meanwhile, my MVCI status gave me United Airlines status which got me an upgrade to first (one way) and priority access/boarding the other way.

How do I 'unpack' any of this and what should I compare it to? I normally take a 4-5 day vacation somewhere warm in January. I certainly could have gone somewhere cheaper than the Aruba Marriott...or more expensive for that matter. The same goes for the airfare.

Do I use the price of the Limited View room I booked or the Premium Ocean View room I received? And how do I quantify getting the highest, most ocean-y, shaded OV room? How do I factor in the ability to do a 5 night hotel+air when without MVCI I couldn't buy the hotel+air package. And how many mornings would I have splurged on the $50 breakfast vs the cheaper but less healthy and satisfying Starbucks option. Do I compare to First Class airfare (one way)? Do I factor in the price of United's Premier Access package the other way? All fun questions...

That is exactly my point! These are the types of things that some people don’t take into account and don’t believe you should take these into account. However, if your purchase provides you with these perks, why not? If you bought a developer purchase that takes you to Chairman or Presidential level and you travel a lot and you are able to take advantage of airline upgrades and hotel upgrades because of it, then those should be included in your cost analysis. Why do some people disagree with that? This is not about justifying a purchase. This is about trying to put financial value on a product.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A slightly different twist to what others have said:

I think of the money in two piles... my upfront costs and my annual costs.
1. For the sake of easy discussion: 20-years ago I bought my first unit for $20,000. Divide that out and that comes out to $1,000 a year (and that number will continue to slide down)
2. My annual costs are my MF, Interval/club dues, etc. Obviously those costs keep rising. But for the sake of discussion, my cost this year is $1,500. (thanks hurricane)

So in very simple terms, my total costs for one week of timeshare vacation is $2,500.

The question is, would I spend $2,500 this summer for seven nights at Myrtle Beach? The Marriott Hotel next door to Oceanwatch is an easy $225/night (more if you include parking) for ONE BASIC ROOM.
Where else could I get the space, the kitchen, the multiple pools, sports courts, gym, a few popcorn and ice cream treats and easy beach access for $2,500? Yes there are houses I could rent, but they wouldn't have the list of amenities and would be a walk/drive to the beach... and I bet the furniture would be 20-years old.

Factor in the years when we've used Interval certificates and/or getaways (we've gone to Orlando for as little as $199!) and our one week costs really shoot down. Shoot, even a Fairfield Inn in Orlando is $100 a night (more with taxes!).

I think the "value" really shoots up when you can use a certificate or getaway (admittedly the certificates have been more restrictive and less useful to us in recent years).

Timeshares have allowed us to vacation at nicer places and more exotic locations than we normally would have. (Hawaii, Scotland, France, Spain, multiple California & Florida etc)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cost for this year, including all MF used, all DC points MF, II club dues, taxes, and a portion of my ownership upfront costs (as mentioned earlier in this thread), for 72 currently arranged nights is $141 per night. Thanks to Jims suggestion of his spreadsheet. And that's only part of the value. Add in free airfare to Fiji, Australia, and, Thailand, and a free 5 nights in Fiji and it's trivial to see how much ahead I am for the year. I don't understand why people think you can't come out ahead. If you add up the cost to do all those trips without a timeshare it would be several times what I am paying.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll grant you that point but by what metric should we be measuring it? ;)

I have no idea what the breakeven would be on our three Marriott Weeks and have no desire to try to figure it out. (Math.) My thinking has always been that after years of NOT forcing ourselves to get away on vacation every year, owning timeshares does exactly that. As far as the financials, I'm okay with the costs as long as our budget allows for them.
As I stated, I consider up front costs including the TVM and yearly costs compared to what I would have spent and/or what I could do the trip on cash in similar options. DVC is easy to compare because room prices are readily available and it's easy to both rent to stay and rent out if needed. But there are other factors including control and the quality of the resorts in question though these can be taken into account on the $$$ side if looking at like for like or a direct rental for the same option. The other factor which has been alluded to here but if it was spelled out, I missed it, is the risk down the road. The maintenance fees represent risk long term even after passing.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Please tell me if I am misguided in my thinking here with this analogy. If one owns an American Express Platinum card, they pay $550 per year for the card. However, by having the card they have access to airport lounges, the card will pay for TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry, you get credit for airline charges like baggage fees, you get insurance on rental vehicles, gold status with Hilton and Starwood, etc. If you are doing a lot of traveling and you’re flipping the bill, you may find lots of value from this card. It could save you lots of money particularly when you have to stay in the airport quite a bit. The key to getting the full value of the benefits is by using them. If don’t use the benefits, then the $550 is a waste.

In my opinion, when you buy your timeshare and you gain lots of perks, then it is going to move you toward a positive cash flow. Yes, I put money out front, but if I am going to have to use some of the perks anyway and I can save on them, then the value of that perk is well worth the money spent initially. With our timeshares, the money put up front can pay off gradually in a major way, and sometimes it won’t be gradual. The room upgrades are very great perks, the price reductions on hotel rooms are good, and other Marriott Rewards perks are great additions to your pockets.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I admire the practicality of those who do the deep dive but I’m afraid if I did it I’d be vacationing at the pup tent resort in my back yard.
Cheers

This.

Nothing will financially beat vacationing in your back yard in a pup tent, however the quality of vacation will be drastically better. Good to have an eye on financials, but if financials is your only motivation for buying a timeshare, then you should not bother and staycation.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
My cost for this year, including all MF used, all DC points MF, II club dues, taxes, and a portion of my ownership upfront costs (as mentioned earlier in this thread), for 72 currently arranged nights is $141 per night. Thanks to Jims suggestion of his spreadsheet. And that's only part of the value. Add in free airfare to Fiji, Australia, and, Thailand, and a free 5 nights in Fiji and it's trivial to see how much ahead I am for the year. I don't understand why people think you can't come out ahead. If you add up the cost to do all those trips without a timeshare it would be several times what I am paying.
Well put, Steve. The people who "think you can't come out ahead" are the ones who don't take the time to understand the usage options and don't plan their vacations far in advance to take advantage of the options we have available. We have friends who we got into the Marriott system and come to us with questions like..."how do we go about selling one of our weeks?" and "two of our weeks expired in II, what do we do now?". I can talk to them until I'm blue in the face about reading TUG BBS and offering to help them plan their vacation usage, but it does no good!
I consider the time that many of us invest here in TUG to add the most valuable to our TS ownership in terms to upfront costs and maximizing use options.

So on an unrelated note, good friends of ours are planning a trip to Cuba for next year and invited us to go along. Does anyone have any good tips on utilizing TS (are there any) or Marriott Hotels there? I will post this in the "Vacation Travel Information" section.
Thanks.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

The upgraded status and perks that come with Marriott Rewards Platinum Premiere status are worth a lot to me. It was one of the primary reasons I decided to move to Presidential level. I am glad you are mentioning this benefit because most Tuggers are not factoring it in.

This year, we are staying in suites in many Cat 7 (soon to be Cat 8) resorts for free. I have booked 9 free nights so far at the Cat 7 resorts as well as a paid stay for business. On average, a suite at a Cat 7/8 resort (Ritz, St Regis, W, Luxury Collection, etc) costs about $1000+ per night. Even the upgraded guest rooms at the locations and resorts where we are staying would be in the $600-$800 range. I would use the value of the upgraded room as my metric.

Then there is the unquantifiable benefit I get when enjoying these perks. As you mentioned, free breakfast, use of club lounges, 4 pm checkout, 75% bonus on stays, etc.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well put, Steve. The people who "think you can't come out ahead" are the ones who don't take the time to understand the usage options and don't plan their vacations far in advance to take advantage of the options we have available. We have friends who we got into the Marriott system and come to us with questions like..."how do we go about selling one of our weeks?" and "two of our weeks expired in II, what do we do now?". I can talk to them until I'm blue in the face about reading TUG BBS and offering to help them plan their vacation usage, but it does no good!
I consider the time that many of us invest here in TUG to add the most valuable to our TS ownership in terms to upfront costs and maximizing use options.

So on an unrelated note, good friends of ours are planning a trip to Cuba for next year and invited us to go along. Does anyone have any good tips on utilizing TS (are there any) or Marriott Hotels there? I will post this in the "Vacation Travel Information" section.
Thanks.
I believe the only Marriott presence in Cuba is the Four Points by Sheraton
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/havfp-four-points-havana/

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 Tuggers work the system to stretch their ownership and maximize return so they end up ahead. Sadly many TS buyers remain ignorant about what they own and find equal or lower value relative to renting because they forget to use, or do not reserve peak times etc.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I would like some assistance in trying to figure out how to determine when has broken even on had on their timeshare purchase. What strategies do you utilize to determine that you have saved money and it has been worth your purchase?

Can one look at equivalent accommodations and and start looking at those savings over maintenance fees and add that to the recouping of the original purchase?

Do people also include money saved on eating because of the kitchen? Or what about each time you use a two bedroom you would have had to have because of your children but because you have a timeshare with two bedrooms you have saved on that extra expense of another hotel room.

I just wonder how do people look at that initial payout and subsequent maintenance fees to determine they have broken even and/or have gotten ahead. How is it that we should determine that our timeshare has been a good purchase and it’s saving us money.

I keep a close watch on this. My goal is to meet breakeven by the time I’m 80, God willing. I rent a lot of my weeks. I have 10 in total. I have my purchase price plus maintenance costs on one side of my Excel sheet and my “benefit” on the right. If I Rent it, I put it on the right. If I use it, I count the fair market rent and also enter it on the right. When the right side equals or exceeds the left, that’s my breakeven. I’ll probably never break even with my weeks purchased from Marriott. After 11 years, I have just covered 53% of the cost of those. The fact that MFC was closed last year due to the hurricane doesn’t help. The 2 resale weeks I have at Harborside at Atlantis broke even last year after 5 years.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since the idea was to see if one was saving over just renting, and since a benefit of TS ownership is my flights, one must add the cost of those flights to the cost of not having a TS. Or, one could choose to subtract it from the ts end, doesn't matter, either way dollar difference is dollar difference. So, if I subtract 2 flights to Fiji ($1,000 each) and 2 flights to Phuket ($450 each) and 2 flights back home ($800 each) from my TS costs for the year, I come out including upfront costs at $78.52 per night for 72 nights! And as csalter2 mentioned, that's not even considering other benefits of ownership. Like the likelihood I will get suite upgrades in Fiji, 2 upgrades at that (likely rental cost of the stay will be $600/night, I am paying $0). I know, unfair to consider that on the TS side. But no matter, if I would have rented and paid for flights, the math is identical, those are costs added to the rental side and the difference between rental and owning remains the same to the penny.

I realize some will disagree with considering those extra benefits, but, csalter2 gives a perfect analogy and I totally agree with him. I have never looked back and thought gee, I wasted money. And I even bought half of my portfolio at developer prices. Still way ahead. Not even close.

Thanks JimInNC, your spreadsheet stimulated my thought on this and allowed me to calculate this year without much effort. It solidified my belief that I am not sorry at all.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Since the idea was to see if one was saving over just renting, and since a benefit of TS ownership is my flights, one must add the cost of those flights to the cost of not having a TS. Or, one could choose to subtract it from the ts end, doesn't matter, either way dollar difference is dollar difference. So, if I subtract 2 flights to Fiji ($1,000 each) and 2 flights to Phuket ($450 each) and 2 flights back home ($800 each) from my TS costs for the year, I come out including upfront costs at $78.52 per night for 72 nights! And as csalter2 mentioned, that's not even considering other benefits of ownership. Like the likelihood I will get suite upgrades in Fiji, 2 upgrades at that (likely rental cost of the stay will be $600/night, I am paying $0). I know, unfair to consider that on the TS side. But no matter, if I would have rented and paid for flights, the math is identical, those are costs added to the rental side and the difference between rental and owning remains the same to the penny.

I realize some will disagree with considering those extra benefits, but, csalter2 gives a perfect analogy and I totally agree with him. I have never looked back and thought gee, I wasted money. And I even bought half of my portfolio at developer prices. Still way ahead. Not even close.

Thanks JimInNC, your spreadsheet stimulated my thought on this and allowed me to calculate this year without much effort. It solidified my belief that I am not sorry at all.

You have mentioned that your ownership has given you free airfare, and that much of that comes from going to presentations. I'm assuming what you mean by that is you take Marriott Rewards points as your "gift" and have used them to generate frequent flyer miles in your chosen airlines. Can you estimate how many Rewards points you've earned in this manner and how many presentations you had to endure to get that many?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have mentioned that your ownership has given you free airfare, and that much of that comes from going to presentations. I'm assuming what you mean by that is you take Marriott Rewards points as your "gift" and have used them to generate frequent flyer miles in your chosen airlines. Can you estimate how many Rewards points you've earned in this manner and how many presentations you had to endure to get that many?

I sure can, I know most people hate those so that's up to them. We don't mind at all. In 21 years, I would estimate we've gone to 50 presentations, fewer early on and more now. I would say a fair average has been 20,000 points per presentation as I simply don't recall what we used to get in the early 2000's likely I am under guessing, some less, some more (got several 30,000 lately). So, that's 1,000,000 MR points. Of course, that's just presentations, you are aware that CC charges of MF (we pay no interest of course) give 6x, used to be 5x, your MF. That's quite a few MR points over the years as well, no idea what that might come to but as a guess, maybe an average of 15,000 per year (less early on since we owned less, much more now), so, say another 300,000 points from MF. Obviously, I am not saying that the more you charge the more you gain, just saying some does come back. This does not include MR points we got for a couple of TS purchases. None of those would we get if we were not owners. Plus MR points from stays (other purchases while there), that I can't even fathom to guess. But I would imagine close to 1.5 million MR points just between those. Add in several new customer signups, bonuses, etc., and I am sure we've topped more than 2 million MR points not even counting spending, directly related to TS only. But spending of course you could do without owning so I do not consider that. We only use MR points for packages, as that gives the best miles benefit. Of course, those are more expensive now but we redeemed a ton of miles last year before the increase. But they also were a lot less early on, and we initially received 300,000 MR points in 1999 for the purchase where those went a long way of course (I recall at least 2 travel packages with I think some points remaining I think they used to be back then 125k MR points?) and we took our first trip to Australia that way almost entirely for "free". And we only use miles for overseas flights where you get the most bang for the mile. After our trip to Uganda in 2020, we will likely be out of points for a few years. But, we will have hit our major foreign travel goals as well.

Yes, I realize one can do presentations without being an owner, but it's not the same. You have to get there, it's short, you do incur costs and you do not make one cent. When you are there already on a stay, there is no additional cost. So, it is definitely a "perk" if you can tolerate them. Or, you can consider them punishments as many do. :)

But there is no way I would ever consider them punishments given the amount of money we have earned off of them. The math might have changed now with the MR changes, will have to figure that out moving forward as far as what is the best thing to take in return for sitting through one. But going back in time, just the value of those MR points (timeshare related only) and nothing else has probably ending up giving us a value of $30k (more in the old days, less now). So, by itself, it paid for much of what we own even at developer prices (paid for DSV2 and Playa Andaluza purchases). So, when I compute our cost/night, I always know that the actual cost is much lower due to this. The only remaining purchase we had were a minimal # of points when DC program came out, and, a higher number of very cheap resale points.

But this obviously gets harder and harder to figure as there are so many considerations. The reality is, it would have been impossible for us to travel as much as we have if we had not spent the money, don't need to calculate to know that. And, it is not cheaper (for us) to rent, no possible way this can be true. And we have never had an interest of staying at the same place over and over, that's just not us (other than DSV2). We want to go somewhere different all the time.

I don't think this is as easily replicated today though, things are more expensive than they used to be. But ownership even at developer prices, is likely the best thing I have ever spent money on. But obviously, one has to make a fair effort to squeeze value. But I am retired, so, it's my salary now (saving), lol

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Racking up Marriott Rewards points as a Presidential MVC DP timeshare owner is not that hard. In one year, we earned over 600,000 MR points. So Steve’s estimate of 2 million points in 21 years is probably underestimating by a huge margin.