• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do I respond to the sale's pitch/welcome packet? First time renter at a timeshare

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I found 2 good deals for staying in Orlando and will be traveling in a few weeks. I have never stayed at a timeshare, but I've been reading about the sales pitch/welcome packet and I want to be prepared at check in. I will be traveling with my 2 children (4 and 2) and they will not stay occupied for more than 5 minutes; I will also have my inlaws along and they have no interest or money for a timeshare. My husband will not be with us (which is normal 90% of the time due to his career). I want to take advantage of the opportunity for free tickets if possible, so what is the best advice regarding a response to the sales pitch? Will they even ask me to attend since my husband is not present? I would not buy from the resort, if I ever bought I would buy via resale thanks to TUG :)

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure if they would ask you to attend if your husband is not there. If you do attend the presentation, I would not bring the kids. That is usually ammo for the sales people because, as you said, if your kids get restless, the sales people will hold that against you figuring that you will do anything (including signing the sales contract) just to get out of there.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ok, so I might not even need to worry about them asking if I check in solo?
Right. Almost every place requires both spouses to attend the sales pitch in order to get any of the "freebies" -- they don't want to deal with the "I have to ask my wife/husband/partner" excuse for not buying that day (these are very high-pressure sales meetings).

My advice is not to go, even if they do happen to invite you to a sales pitch. It often takes much longer than what they say, it ruins a 1/2 day (or more) of your precious vacation, and to me at least, the little trinkets they give you for sitting though that agonizing sales pitch just simply is not worth my time. YMMV.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The downside of not going to the sales presentation is that you also won't be eligible for any freebie tickets. It's possible that they may offer you some at discount, but just between us, you might be better off to just be happy with the discounted rooms and get your activity tickets through Groupon or readily available discount books etc.

Jim

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
No matter how tempting the freebie is, I recommend not going to any sales pitch.
1) No matter how set you are on not buying, even people who walk in stating upfront "I am here for the freebie. I am not buying." sometimes end up getting broken down by a particularly good salesperson. They have heard it all and they know every comeback. You don't. Don't take the chance.
2) A "90 minute presentation" can easily turn into half your day, depending on the outfit. Your vacation time is worth more than that.
3) You might think that having the kids gives you an easy out "they need to be fed, etc". Chances are good that they would simply want to withhold your freebie and reschedule to a time when you could sit through entire presentation.

By the way, you are under no obligation to sit in on any sales pitch whether you are a renter or owner. It is not uncommon for them to knock on your door every day or call your room every day to remind you of an opportunity or ask you to schedule a welcome. Tell the front desk that you do not want to be disturbed by any welcome desk calls or visits.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unplug the phone. Nobody you want to talk to will call you on that phone anyway.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Do the "good deals" that you found require you to attend a sales presentation?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unplug the phone. Nobody you want to talk to will call you on that phone anyway.

We do this every time we check in. This is very true. I might plug in just to check voicemail once. But I don't think it's ever been anything I cared about. I certainly do not give out my timeshare resort and phone # to anyone. I never liked (before I did this) when they would call at 8AM or 9AM, on vacation, for me, that's way too early! That, and, the ringer was always 5 times louder than any phone I ever had, I would practically hit the ceiling from being startled!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the "good deals" that you found require you to attend a sales presentation?
That would be the 'ordinary' responsibility at resorts I've either rented or exchanged into. Sometimes they'll let you have the tickets as you register, on the promise that you'll attend the presentation later, but they always capture you before you can 'skip out'.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
The downside of not going to the sales presentation is that you also won't be eligible for any freebie tickets. It's possible that they may offer you some at discount, but just between us, you might be better off to just be happy with the discounted rooms and get your activity tickets through Groupon or readily available discount books etc.

Jim

Never thought to check Groupon, good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Tell the front desk that you do not want to be disturbed by any welcome desk calls or visits.[/QUOTE]

Good advice

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
That would be the 'ordinary' responsibility at resorts I've either rented or exchanged into. Sometimes they'll let you have the tickets as you register, on the promise that you'll attend the presentation later, but they always capture you before you can 'skip out'.

I was thinking of the **SPECIAL DEALS** like **THREE NIGHTS FOR $199** -- the kind of thing that developers offer on-line, in mailed flyers, kiosks, etc., to get people into the sales room.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

mj2vacation

Reaction score
Depending on what parks you are visiting, there may be little to no savings from most legitimate resellers.

Disney is typically not going to be found on Groupon, etc. tickets at work and undercover tourist are decent sources.

Sea world will essentially pay you to visit if you can find a deal. They are still hurting from their pathetic response to the Blackfish movie.

Universal can sometimes be found on Groupon.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on what parks you are visiting, there may be little to no savings from most legitimate resellers.

Disney is typically not going to be found on Groupon, etc. tickets at work and undercover tourist are decent sources.

Sea world will essentially pay you to visit if you can find a deal. They are still hurting from their pathetic response to the Blackfish movie.

Universal can sometimes be found on Groupon.

All good info, I have never heard of tickets at work so I’ll check there. I’ve been checking undercover tourist and best of Orlando. I’m not sure SeaWorld is worth it with my kids, any aquarium would do and there are a few cheaper options. We are looking at Legoland, gator land, the space center, a boggy adventure, and maybe Disney for a day/2, maybe universal.

mjkkb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure if they would ask you to attend if your husband is not there. If you do attend the presentation, I would not bring the kids. That is usually ammo for the sales people because, as you said, if your kids get restless, the sales people will hold that against you figuring that you will do anything (including signing the sales contract) just to get out of there.

I found my experience to be quite opposite. I do not go to these anymore, but back when I used to go, I would brink my small children on purpouse. They would get restless at some point and I would say that we have to 'wrap this up' , It worked several times. The last thing the salesman wanted to deal with is a screaming/crying child...At oceana palms for example they got clever and nowadays (as far as I know) they have a room with a babysitter when children will be watched as the parents attend the presentation...I have yet to take them up on this service...NOT.

Do yourself a favor and do not go!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see no problem in going but make sure not to bring your Check Book and Credit/Debit Cards with you. If you start getting sucked in and they offer to open a new Credit Card for you, tell them you have your Credit Bureau Account frozen and don't have your Pass Code with you.

George

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see no problem in going but make sure not to bring your Check Book and Credit/Debit Cards with you. If you start getting sucked in and they offer to open a new Credit Card for you, tell them you have your Credit Bureau Account frozen and don't have your Pass Code with you.

George

Wyndham & Westgate (not sure about others, I have only experienced these two.) both require you to present a major credit card upon check in for your presentation along with your ID. Its part of the terms and conditions of attending if you want your promised gift.