• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How did Marriott Vacation Clubs located in Hawaii handle today's incoming missile alert?

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Share your stories... Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thunder Up

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently at MOC but when we received the text we were on the beach in front of the Hyatt. We were headed to the coffee shop in the Hyatt. I would say that there was mass confusion at the Hyatt. They made several announcements over their PA system that you could not understand what they were saying. It was clear that most of their employees had not received any training because they did not know what to do. When we got to their lobby, there were about at least 100 people standing around, not knowing what to do.

We tried to call stateside but that was a no go. We did text our son a screen shot of the text we received about an incoming missile, he replied that there was nothing on the news about it. That made us fill much better. Then a few minutes later we heard a hyatt employee announce that the text message was just a drill to see how every one would react. A lot of folks pissed off. Then later in the day, we learned an employee pressed the wrong button at a shift change.

For us just another day in paradise.

Thunder Up

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
The salespeople told their attendees, "Quick, sign now, this is literally your last chance to get this deal!" :eek:
Sales opens at 9:00 am... 8:08 was warning... nice try...

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
At mko the staff obviously had a contingency plan. I was driving down the garage in konanwhen the alert sounded on my phone and announcement on radio to take shelter. Just headed to garage basement instead of leaving and parked and waited. Couldn't really get cell phone service down there so just listened to radio.

After 15min there was an announcement over PA that all employees should take shelter indoors. Now mind you it was just my family and I down there, I thought more people would have joined us. I was told, until that announcement to find shelter, guests were in lobby and milling outside

Another few minutes and a few employees came down with about 12 guests. We waited there until someone walked up to get cell coverage and found out it was a false alarm.

I thought it was handled well by the staff.

My initial thought, when I read text that said this is not a drill, is what are you going to do? We are on a small island and there is no going anywhere.

zverymuch

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marruott
The sales office is closed on Saturdays...( I was in my room). There was a announcement on the PA to take cover this was several minutes estimate 10 after the initial txt message.

After the txt I turned on CNN saw nothing so I went outside to hear a faint air raid siren and saw people running around.

At first I thought it was a hack or spam on my phone lol. After the PA announcement and the siren with peeps running around I thought otherwise.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sales opens at 9:00 am... 8:08 was warning... nice try...

Perhaps it was a joke? Don't be so sensitive...

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The sales office is closed on Saturdays...( I was in my room). There was a announcement on the PA to take cover this was several minutes estimate 10 after the initial txt message.

After the txt I turned on CNN saw nothing so I went outside to hear a faint air raid siren and saw people running around.

At first I thought it was a hack or spam on my phone lol. After the PA announcement and the siren with peeps running around I thought otherwise.
The sales office is open 7 days a week here at mko.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We are currently at MOC but when we received the text we were on the beach in front of the Hyatt.
I gotta believe that, in the unlikely event NK were to look to bomb Hawaii, the beach in Maui would not be the target! Or anywhere in Maui for that matter. Probably a pretty safe place to be and to stay.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I gotta believe that, in the unlikely event NK were to look to bomb Hawaii, the beach in Maui would not be the target! Or anywhere in Maui for that matter. Probably a pretty safe place to be and to stay.

You’re assuming that NK has that accuracy thing nailed. They could hit Maui when aiming for Honolulu!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
When I was in school we went under our desk/table. I guess I will not take a unit anymore with a limited kitchen unless it has a kitchen table. In today's environment, it could have been true and it could still happen. I am not sure what the answer is but finding a place to hide is not it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a nuclear war, there will be no place on planet earth that will be safe in my personal opinion.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
In a nuclear war, there will be no place on planet earth that will be safe in my personal opinion.
The bomb that was dropped on Afghanistan last year was not a fission based explosion, and yet it vaporized everything within a considerable radius. If NK wants to commit suicide, we cannot stop them.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in school we went under our desk/table. I guess I will not take a unit anymore with a limited kitchen unless it has a kitchen table. In today's environment, it could have been true and it could still happen. I am not sure what the answer is but finding a place to hide is not it.

If (if) NK has a nuclear warhead it will be much like a 1950s model. :) So yea, duck and cover will still work fine.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My problem with what happen in Hawaii where was our military, Homelands Security, was our military place on alert and was the President notified?? Next what corrective action have taken placed, so that this will never occur again.

A nuclear attack alert on Hawaii should not be made by the state of Hawaii and that is my personal opinion only.

Some years ago the Russian shoot down a Korean commerce airplane because they were flying toward Russia in the wrong air space. Problem the three(3) P’s occurred because of poor communication on both sides.

Last edited:

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
They were doing a monthly test, the agent had a drop-down menu to select Test or ‘Real’. He hit the wrong one and confirmed it. Horrible User Interface.

New procedure requires a second person to approve.

Then they had no way to send text cancellation. It had to be coordinated with FEMA.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My problem with what happen in Hawaii where was our military, Homelands Security, was our military place on alert and was the President notified?? Next what corrective action have taken placed, so that this will never occur again.

A nuclear attack alert on Hawaii should not be made by the state of Hawaii and that is my personal opinion only.

Some years ago the Russian shoot down a Korean commerce airplane because they were flying toward Russia in the wrong air space. Problem the three(3) P’s occurred because of poor communication on both sides.

A real nuclear attack alert would never ORIGINATE with the state of Hawaii (or any state). A real attack notification would have to come down to the states from Homeland Security or the Defense Department (who run the radar/satellite systems that track for incoming aircraft/missiles). That notification would then go to each state's Emergency Operations Center, which manages the emergency alert system for each state. That is where the state involvement starts - their operating responsibility is for the emergency alert systems to the population. Homeland Security or DOD have no way to alert the population at large. The military would simply alert the state EOCs for a REAL attack that was detected on their radars and satellite-based warning systems so the states could warn the populace. Any counter-attack protocols would only be initiated by the military based on THEIR internal protocols and procedures based on their radars and intel.

What happened in Hawaii was purely a failure at the state EOC level. There was obviously never a REAL alert from DOD or DHS. From what I have seen and read, at every shift change in the Hawaii EOC, they conduct a routine drill for sending out an alert message to the population, but no message is ever actually sent. This time, an employee pushed or clicked the wrong "button" (probably on their computer screen, I assume), and the drill alert was actually sent out on the real emergency alert system. No counterattack or military action would ever be initiated based on a state-level EOC alert. That is for the population at large, not the command and control structure of the military.

So, there was no need to alert the military or the president because there was no alert to notify them about. There was just an alarming alert message that accidentally got disseminated to the general public.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At least we know in the event of a real attack, that the text message will work. If they click the right buttons.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
My elderly mother in Honolulu was blissfully ignorant of the whole thing. She only uses her mobile phone for phone calls (doesn't do or know how to text), and didn't have her TV on. And of course she doesn't do social media :)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
All your statements are correct. Now tell that to the people that read that alert in Hawaii.

A real nuclear attack alert would never ORIGINATE with the state of Hawaii (or any state). A real attack notification would have to come down to the states from Homeland Security or the Defense Department (who run the radar/satellite systems that track for incoming aircraft/missiles). That notification would then go to each state's Emergency Operations Center, which manages the emergency alert system for each state. That is where the state involvement starts - their operating responsibility is for the emergency alert systems to the population. Homeland Security or DOD have no way to alert the population at large. The military would simply alert the state EOCs for a REAL attack that was detected on their radars and satellite-based warning systems so the states could warn the populace. Any counter-attack protocols would only be initiated by the military based on THEIR internal protocols and procedures based on their radars and intel.

What happened in Hawaii was purely a failure at the state EOC level. There was obviously never a REAL alert from DOD or DHS. From what I have seen and read, at every shift change in the Hawaii EOC, they conduct a routine drill for sending out an alert message to the population, but no message is ever actually sent. This time, an employee pushed or clicked the wrong "button" (probably on their computer screen, I assume), and the drill alert was actually sent out on the real emergency alert system. No counterattack or military action would ever be initiated based on a state-level EOC alert. That is for the population at large, not the command and control structure of the military.

So, there was no need to alert the military or the president because there was no alert to notify them about. There was just an alarming alert message that accidentally got disseminated to the general public.