TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

How bad is airline basic economy class

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by rapmarks, Mar 17, 2019.

1. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

The United flights are gone, so took another look at delta. Can go very reasonably early on a Wednesday morning, go through Atlanta and get to Madison by 10:30 in morning, which means we get home tired but have some daylight to get settled.
    If I stick with United, now is at least $250 each and get to Madison at 10:30 at night, which means home about midnight.
    Also looked at seating for United and only seats together way in back of plane.

mpumilia likes this.
  2. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    Looks like Delta is a winner for this trip.

Richard

3. am1

am1 TUG Member

Why charge people to sit together?

4. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
    Because they can.

Kurt

5. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Basically, because they can. Right or wrong, it’s the reality of airline pricing today. If you want to pay the absolute minimum to fly, it is one of the drawbacks.

Cheers

6. am1

am1 TUG Member

Does not makee it right and why I avoid those airlines when I can. In all the safety instructions provided and protocols does it not make sense to keep people together? Especially kids with parents and wives with their husbands? In the event of an emergency landing I’m swimming upstream to get them. Which would cause even more chaos. But I can and would.

7. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    I am a little disappointed we are flying on a multi stop trip east coast to Hawaii, then to Reno for a week stay and then back to east coast.

Had planned to use Chase Ultimate Reward points for flight. We were trying to book same flights as friends going with us. Chase had flights but only as Basic Economy. I called to see if they could get them as main cabin nope only the basic economy, so a big guy flying this far ain’t getting stuck in a middle seat with strangers and no wife by my side. So I just ended up booking flights via AA.com. So stupid as main cabin was like $40 bucks more a seat. Really Chase you can only offer basic economy seats. Those seats can’t be changed or upgraded and are non refundable. The measly difference for a large fare flight in my opinion is worth at least having a flight that if you have to change you can if need be.

mpumilia likes this.
  8. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    I'm surprised that you could not get a "main cabin" booking. I suspect it was an issue with the agent to whom you spoke, not that they couldn't do it. Once, Delta moved up a flight by 50 minutes (I was already getting up at 4:30am). So, I called and spent 20 minutes discussing whether I could change flights, but after a supervisor called Delta on my behalf, it was done.

I suspect that, had you spoken to an agent willing to contact AA, it would'a happened.

9. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

It’s very simple. If you pay the charge, you can select your seats. If you don’t, you can’t. There’s no requirement to accommodate those who feel they must sit together. If there’s some ADA justification, it will be accommodated with no charge, if not, there’s a charge.

Cheers

10. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    With United- they have 3 tiers for economy.

One is basic and you can't even take a carry on with you! No seat picks and non refundable.

The second level you can take a carry on and you can pick your seats, but non refundable. I chose those plus paid $9 more per seat for preferred economy (not to be confused with economy plus which is $75-$85 more per seat!) which just means we sit in front of the regular economy section, but behind economy plus. Overall much more expensive than basic.

Then they have a third tier that is economy, but refundable/changeable, but for fees! This was much more money than the first two tiers.

Then there is the whole Sunday will cost you a ton more to fly rate.

The whole thing is so ridiculous. I am glad I rarely fly anywhere.

11. am1

am1 TUG Member

Looking after two 5 year olds should be higher on the pecking order then ada. They should be accommodated as well.

The faa should step in but after this week we know who they work for.

12. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    I booked on Chase portal and it allowed me to book main cabin on an AA flight. You pick a flight and it shows you the cheapest which is basic, then it walks you though choices to upgrade from that to main. It did this all in the portal.

Not sure if was the flights, the portal, the agent or you. Or a combo. But it is possible to book Main AA in the portal.

13. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    That's been my experience as well. The screen initially lists basic economy fares, but after you pick the flight, there's an option to upgrade the seat. I have a pending flight that I booked thru U/R and upgraded to main cabin. But after that, I've upgraded a few seats using Delta's website, some with points & some with cash.

14. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    I tried on line it showed next screen will allow you to upgrade seat selection. Get to next screen no upgrade option. I spoke to two Chase reps got same response some flights they only have access to basic economy. One agent said you could buy the flight you want with your card call back in we can send you a form and you can use chase points to reimburse flight cost at $.01 per point. I said what about 150% multiplier, if you do it his way you lose your multiplier..

15. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    So it must be that particular flight. Not sure what is up with that. Sorry. But don't give up as other flights in your future booking might work just fine.