• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hotel sticker shock

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just booked an overnight stay in Cambria, CA. The "sale" price for the room was $180 but of course, those were sold out for our date. Admittedly we are bringing a dog - and the additional charge for that was $25. The all in price for one night in a room with no view - $329.

We all grumble about the maintenance fees on our timeshares, but I just choke when I make a hotel reservation. We pay a lot more for a lot less. No kitchen or separate bedroom, and for that I paid over $150 more than my average timeshare night. I haven't had to travel outside the timeshare universe much in the past 5+ years so it was a shock to see the price. In the end, we really had no choice in the matter so I booked it. And it's non-refundable to boot!

That is crazy- then again it is CA. I have stayed in hotels in the past couple of years and paid no where near that rate and had breakfast included and free WIFI!

In fact, my Home Away rentals for homes and condos were like half of what you paid!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Relevant or not, I’m sure you understood the intention of the earlier post. The perceived price for hotels is higher than timeshares...for us. As are the benefits.
I do understand this in the context you state. What I do not understand are those people who JUSTIFY the high and ever increasing timeshare maintenance fees by using this comparison.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I am living in the past but 20 years ago when I was the decision maker in a large organization I had a rule that when employees traveled they could not pay more than $100 per night ($150 in NYC and DC) without my permission. Rarely did anyone have to ask for permission.

George

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The problem with this statement is that it is apples to oranges. Timeshare maintenance fees are the owner's cost to maintain the property and has nothing to do with the supply and demand for rooms at the resort. I don't think most hotels have had as great an escalation in their operating costs over the past 10 years, which would be the more relevant comparison.
I'm just comparing *my* out of pocket cost for a night's stay. Which is all I truly care about at the end of the day. :p As timeshare owners we complain about maintenance fees a lot, but the alternatives aren't inexpensive either. Staying here has been a good reality check for me.

It's morning now, and it's been a long time since I've shared a room with 3 other people. How do folks do this all the time??? :D

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
AirBnB and VRBO are also options.
We tried but there was no pet friendly last minute availability. And it was last minute because the house that she had agreed to rent was suddenly unavailable. She has a temporary place to stay but is in a scramble to find something permanent. I'm sure that things will work out but so far things are off to a rough start.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know I am living in the past but 20 years ago when I was the decision maker in a large organization I had a rule that when employees traveled they could not pay more than $100 per night ($150 in NYC and DC) without my permission. Rarely did anyone have to ask for permission.

George
Yep, that ship has sailed. :)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
... and yet our LMR is still $100 max a night. Just had to poke at it.

We are training people to expect that rate when they come to LMR.

OK, got my shot in.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

George

Yep, that ship has sailed. :)

20 years ago I seldom paid more than $50/night. Many times I stayed at Treasure Island in Las Vegas for $40/night in those days. I used to be able to get the Venetian for $80/night.

I often travel in southern Idaho. 20 years ago, I could consistently get 3* hotels in Boise for about $50/night. Now I'm lucky if I can get a 2.5* for $100/night. Recently I was scrounging for a good deal, and stayed at the Howard Johnson's near Boise airport for $75/night.

I thought the Howard Johnson name meant something. I was right. It now means, "The $5 more you might spend at Motel 6 is one of the bargains of your lifetime."

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
It wasn't all that long ago when LaQuinta came on the scene in a big way and quickly became our family's hotel of choice when traveling because their rooms were consistently $30-$40 less than other chains in the cities we traveled. As the years passed, LaQuinta too has seen fit to increase their rates to such a point we no longer consider them when traveling. In(n) general, hotels are way overpriced for what they deliver. The problem is that no chain has emerged at the lower end of the cost spectrum to do today what LaQuinta did years ago. With that in mind, I'll do everything I can to avoid hotel stays when traveling. Fortunately, with a little advanced planning and a bit of luck, I've been able to find resorts in or near our vacation destination and make a 1 or 2 night reservation. This allows us to travel a bit earlier, and if travel plans are unavoidably altered, we still have some flexibility and NOT jeopardize our main resort plans.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The airport isn't close to downtown Seattle, where the really high prices are. Are you saying that prices for the airport area are high as well? Doing a quick check using Trivago I'm seeing many hotels under $100 and some as low as $65.

Yes. Cross reference those hotels with written reviews on Tripadvisor. They have horrible reviews. I’m not picky. But at the very least I want a clean hotel room.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? All of them? Many were with reputable chains.

These all looked pretty good, according to Tripadvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g58732-SeaTac_Washington-Hotels.html

So when I enter the date that I actually want to stay the low or budget prices you currently see miraculously change to $200+ a night not including tax.

I did however make a reservation with Hotel Interurban. It’s scheduled to be completed in May. the hotel website lists the price for $199 a night. However, I was able to get an expedia.com member price of $129.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I’m also having to look for a hotel near Seattle airport.
We just spent one night at the Comfort Inn & Suites near the Seattle airport and it was $78.03 after taxes. I think I booked it on their website. It was clean, had a comfortable bed, & good airport transportation. It was an older place but in good condition and for our purposes it was fine. We also stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites nearby one night before a cruise in August and it was more expensive, but I can't recall exactly what it was.

If you aren't planning to stay long and just need a place to sleep, it's fine.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
So when I enter the date that I actually want to stay the low or budget prices you currently see miraculously change to $200+ a night not including tax.

I did however make a reservation with Hotel Interurban. It’s scheduled to be completed in May. the hotel website lists the price for $199 a night. However, I was able to get an expedia.com member price of $129.
Ouch! But still cheaper for what a hotel in downtown Seattle would be for the same dates?

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just spent one night at the Comfort Inn & Suites near the Seattle airport and it was $78.03 after taxes.

Thanks so much for the tip. I’m definitely experiencing a peak season problem. Right now the price for this hotel is $85 but when I enter my date it changes to $204. Ouch!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks so much for the tip. I’m definitely experiencing a peak season problem. Right the price for this hotel is $85 but when I enter my date it changes to $204. Ouch!
Ouch is right!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Everything I have booked is under $200- like between $130 and $175 and very nice.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Everything I have booked is under $200- like between $130 and $175 and very nice.
Dates can kill you though.

We stayed in San Francisco at the Hilton on Union Square for two nights in early March. The rooms were maybe around $200/night. On our return trip towards the end of March the same room was $700/night! (We stayed elsewhere.)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You might see if Bellevue comes up any cheaper for you. Uber from SeaTac to downtown Bellevue will probably be about $30. Downtown Bellevue has good bus service into Seattle. Or, if you want to take a bus, the Sound Transit 560 bus goes from the airport to downtown Bellevue - about $3.50 per person. But if you have luggage you may still need some service from the Bellevue downtown transit center to your hotel.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This is one of the situations that justifies a hotel credit card with one or more of the chains since many are now including a free night every year with the card.

When I was in Seattle last November I stayed at the Radisson by the airport with this certificate (I stayed two nights, and used points for the second night). I wanted to be by the airport since I arrived late from the east coast and on departure I had a morning international flight so didn’t want to deal with transit to/from downtown. Still, I went into Seattle both the night I arrived and the next day using the light rail and it was convenient, cheap, and only a few blocks from the hotel.

Anyway, even a $75-95 per year credit card membership that includes a free night can be much more easily justified these days than in the past, due to the hotel rates.

FWIW, I just used my 2018 free night reservation today from my Hyatt credit card for the Park Hyatt Hamburg...another easy way to justify a $75 annual fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is one of the situations that justifies a hotel credit card with one or more of the chains since many are now including a free night every year with the card.

My husband and I have IHG credit cards that give us each 1 annual free anniversary night. The annual fee is only $49. The past 2 years we combined our 2 nights plus only 40,000 hotel points to stay 3 nights in New York (mid-town Manhattan). Our out-of-pocket cost for the hotel would have been $1,600.

Oh, yeah. We get free breakfast and since we’re reward members we get the top floor with a view.

We all grumble about the maintenance fees on our timeshares, but I just choke when I make a hotel reservation. We pay a lot more for a lot less. No kitchen or separate bedroom...

Yelp, this is why I’m having a hissy fit about getting a hotel in Seattle. 20 years of timesharing has spoiled me. I can’t help but compare what it actually cost for 1 night for an airport hotel room versus my real out of pocket expense for 2 bedroom ocean view unit at Hilton Lagoon Tower (Waikiki). Especially when you wake up in the hotel and go to sleep in the timeshare all in the same day. But, you know, now that I think about it...I should quit my whining and just feel pretty lucky.

Okay, but on the other hand they really do want a lot for a hotel room.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My husband and I have IHG credit cards that give us each 1 annual free anniversary night. The annual fee is only $49. The past 2 years we combined our 2 nights plus only 40,000 hotel points to stay 3 nights in New York (mid-town Manhattan). Our out-of-pocket cost for the hotel would have been $1,600.

Oh, yeah. We get free breakfast and since we’re reward members we get the top floor with a view.

That’s quite affordable, compared to the others I know about. I’ll add IHG to my list when considering new cards.

ETA: IHG is now $89/year (https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/ihg-rewards-club-premier?CELL=6TKW)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yelp, this is why I’m having a hissy fit about getting a hotel in Seattle. 20 years of timesharing has spoiled me. I can’t help but compare what it actually cost for 1 night for an airport hotel room versus my real out of pocket expense for 2 bedroom ocean view unit at Hilton Lagoon Tower (Waikiki). Especially when you wake up in the hotel and go to sleep in the timeshare all in the same day. But, you know, now that I think about it...I should quit my whining and just feel pretty lucky.

Okay, but on the other hand they really do want a lot for a hotel room.

I agree totally. That's why I have been skewing more toward VRBO and similar sites. Even for business travel. I get an apartment/condo for less than a hotel room - at essentially timeshare maintenance fee rates.

Examples: last June I was at a conference in downtown Pittsburgh. Needed a place for four nights. Hotel rooms are $150 and up. For $150 I find a one bedroom condo, ~ 800 sf, a mile from the convention center (i.e., walkable), with view of the Allegheny River and funicular. Fully equipped with modern furnishings and a full kitchen. (Which also saves me going out to restaurants.)

Last December we needed a place to stay for Christmas in Encinitas, because check-in at our fixed week unit in Solana Beach was thrown off in a year with 53 weeks. Through VRBO, we found a fully furnished 2-bedroom, sleeps 6, 1600 sf unit in Encinitas, with ocean view, five blocks from the beach for $175/night. About twice the MF on our 1-bedroom with kitchenette, Solana Beach unit, but much bigger, much nicer, and on a per person per night basis, much cheaper. This wasn't unique; there were about six other available properties in the area - all in the same price range, taking into considerations variations in size, location, and amenities.

I suppose we could have stayed at a hotel. The Marriott Courtyard in Solana Beach was only $250/night. And that is one of the cheaper options in the area.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try booking a hotel stay in South Florida & Miami in January & February for some shocking prices

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not in Washington state .. but from in Portland, Or is that a close to being in the same "nearby" neighborhood. Was there in January for a family wedding. Stayed in Best Western and when I drove up this this place, I thought ... What a dump! And asked, how did this slip by the micro-planner "Mother of the Bride"? The bride's entire family stayed there. The motel had a decent basic breakfast buffet, beds were okay (at 10PM PST was 1AM EST hours & hours pass my bedtime) and with a indoor pool. I suspect my sister got a group discount price, but I shared a room with different relatives over my stay. I had a bed ... it was relatively quiet.

And most of the place was EMPTY as no elevators were working in this 4 story building (hence, only 1st & 2nd floors had guests).

Does that qualify it as a dump?