• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Horizons a Holiday Inn Club Vacations Deedback information - give your HICV timeshare back

Ddesroches

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange lake
All i see is another push to get more maintenance money out of us by them playing delaying actions

Keep in mind that, as with any real estate transaction, there are state, county, and local agencies to deal with, and they all feed off of paperwork and red tape. I went through a similar process with another timeshare a couple years ago, and your story so far sounds very similar to my experience. In the end, we had no problems, it just takes some time. Can’t wait to see how how you make out. We recently a bought a house up near Amelia Island, so we’re currently evaluating our options for our two orange lake units. Best of luck to you.

Sherry78

Reaction score
So I emailed (memberservices@orangelake.com) and requested a warranty deed from Orange Lake Resort and received it in the mail within two weeks. I just called them to make sure there were no other hidden fees. She stated "that the paper would state how much we would be required to pay". So according to the deed, they only want $10. This legal terminology is so confusing. "Grantor, for and in consideration of Ten Dollars ($10) and other good and valuable consideration, receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, hereby grants, bargains, sells, aliens, remises, releases, conveys and confirms unto Grantee, all that certain land situate in Orange County, Florida and described as follows:" Am I reading it correctly?

UPDATE!!!! So I signed and mailed in the paperwork on August 10th, called to check on it September 12th. The lady I spoke to was very nice and told me they packet had been sent to the county records office to call back in about 3 to 4 weeks. She said I would not receive any notification of the transfer and ask if I kept a copy of the paperwork. She said that was my proof of transfer. So today I looked up the Orange County, Florida Comptroller's office and did a deed search. I just put in the date range of 8/10/18 to today and my husbands last and first name in the Grantor field. Sure enough, the search populated a deed recorded on September 28th transferring the property to Orange Lake Country Club Inc. I printed a copy for my records. The whole process was simple and we paid nothing to transfer. Of course, we lost a lot overall but to be out from under the maintenance fees is such a relief.

Bicci

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV
Hi guys,

We have HICV timeshare (every odd years) and we just realized this is putting too much financial stress on our family budget and we would like to get out of it. Unfortunately we are already through 50% of the 10 yr long deed, I'm wondering what way would be the best to get out. I'm at a point, if we get out without spending more, we would do it, but if we could sell it for a little profit, that would be even better. Going through the forum, it is still a little confusing to me what kind of options we have.

Could someone summarize the options we have?

Thanks in advance!

Bicci

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hi guys,

We have HICV timeshare (every odd years) and we just realized this is putting too much financial stress on our family budget and we would like to get out of it. Unfortunately we are already through 50% of the 10 yr long deed, I'm wondering what way would be the best to get out. I'm at a point, if we get out without spending more, we would do it, but if we could sell it for a little profit, that would be even better. Going through the forum, it is still a little confusing to me what kind of options we have.

Could someone summarize the options we have?

Thanks in advance!

Bicci
I am guessing you mean that you are half paid on a 10 year mortgage. If you own anything on a mortgage, you owe more than what it is worth and HICV will not take it back. Most HICV deeds are going to be worth $0-$500 on the resale market. About 1% of the deeds will have a value between $2000-$3000.

If you still owe the only way to get out without paying more, is to stop paying and take whatever penalty or credit hit that HICV reports. After a year or two they will likely offer to take back the deed.

Bicci

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV
We are halfway through, but that means only about 35% of the principal is paid off. If I want to give it away for free, could someone take it? I really don't like the "not paying" option, but on the other hand I'm Canadian, I'm not even sure if they could report it to the Canadian credit bureau. Do you have any suggestions?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
We are halfway through, but that means only about 35% of the principal is paid off. If I want to give it away for free, could someone take it? I really don't like the "not paying" option, but on the other hand I'm Canadian, I'm not even sure if they could report it to the Canadian credit bureau. Do you have any suggestions?

sadly until you pay off the mortgage, you cant transfer the ownership out of your name for any amount...even if you wanted to give it away you cannot if you still owe on the loan.

Bicci

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV
I think I'll try to call the resort and see if I can do anything. Worst case scenario; I'll stop paying it.

Garcia7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Fox River Resort
I am guessing you mean that you are half paid on a 10 year mortgage. If you own anything on a mortgage, you owe more than what it is worth and HICV will not take it back. Most HICV deeds are going to be worth $0-$500 on the resale market. About 1% of the deeds will have a value between $2000-$3000.

If you still owe the only way to get out without paying more, is to stop paying and take whatever penalty or credit hit that HICV reports. After a year or two they will likely offer to take back the deed.

How likely is it for them to take a non-paying member to curt? Are there any members that had gone to court because they stop paying the mortgage?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
How likely is it for them to take a non-paying member to curt? Are there any members that had gone to court because they stop paying the mortgage?
You will take a big hit on your Credit Report to have an account reported in "Collections".

I'm not recommending that action, but if you decide to go that route, start browsing the forums of the CreditInfoCenter. There are a lot of "been there, done that" stories. You can see what can happen to you if they decide to get nasty and what you can do.

This is not legal advice, do your own research.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
https://orangelake.com/horizons

Orange Lake has a Horizons Program. These are the people you need to talk to about deed backs. The above link takes you to all the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

That depends on the state. If it is a non judicial, anti deficiency state they can only take the timeshare and can’t sue for deficiency.

Timeshare laws are state driven and it’s based in the state where the timeshare is located, not where you live.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
After 2 hours on the phone, 6 transfers and discussions with many people, I spoke to the 'Deeding Department', or so they say, direct number is: 800.298.3706, per several people i spoke with.

Final conversation was with 'Patricia', who took about 2 minutes to process a 'warranty deed return request' that will take '7-10 business days' before the paperwork will be received by us. "Simply follow the directions and get the proper forms notarized and it will be returned".

Now, what are my expectations Orange Lake will follow through with this so easily? I am skeptical, should i be?

No, in my opinion, many timeshare companies have developed outlets to deed back. This stems from the fact that people were either stop paying and awaiting foreclosure which costs them more money or using exit companies which were a hassle.

On a business front, they want to go the cheapest way possible. It would just be too costly to sue all defaults so, in a sense, they are left holding the bag and forced to provide an outlet.

So, in short, I am pretty confident you will get the paperwork.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That depends on the state. If it is a non judicial, anti deficiency state they can only take the timeshare and can’t sue for deficiency.

Timeshare laws are state driven and it’s based in the state where the timeshare is located, not where you live.

Here are the anti-deficiency states:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Washington, and Wisconsin

They may not take you to court and just sell the debt to a 3rd-party debt collector for pennies on the dollar to get something. These weasels WILL sue in hopes of getting default judgements.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Here are the anti-deficiency states:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Washington, and Wisconsin

They may not take you to court and just sell the debt to a 3rd-party debt collector for pennies on the dollar to get something. These weasels WILL sue in hopes of getting default judgements.

Please add South Carolina and Florida (for timeshares only) to the list.

Based on my experience, never let some joker away with filing a law suit and not responding. They need to prove they own and owe the debt and many times they can’t. Also, counter claim for costs to defend the suit as well. Follow the Fair Trade Practices Act. If it’s an anti deficiency state, use that as a defence. They hope that you do nothing and get a judgement. Also, remember that if you live out of State and especially out of country they are more reluctant to do anything due to costs as if they win in state, it can be challenging to transfer the judgement depending where you live. Always question venue. Let them come to you.

Lastly, look at Statute of Limitations. The limitations vary from State to State. They only have so long to sue on non secured debt.

If you are a squeaky wheel, they usually back off. If they don’t, bring it on.

You can also settle for 5 to 10 cents on the dollar if you want.

Just from my experiences. This is not legal advice. Do you own research.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please add South Carolina and Florida (for timeshares only) to the list.

Based on my experience, never let some joker away with filing a law suit and not responding. They need to prove they own and owe the debt and many times they can’t. Also, counter claim for costs to defend the suit as well. Follow the Fair Trade Practices Act. If it’s an anti deficiency state, use that as a defence. They hope that you do nothing and get a judgement. Also, remember that if you live out of State and especially out of country they are more reluctant to do anything due to costs as if they win in state, it can be challenging to transfer the judgement depending where you live. Always question venture. Let them come to you.

If you are a squeaky wheel, they usually back off. If they don’t, bring it on.

You can also settle for 5 to 10 cents on the dollar if you want.

Just from my experiences. This is not legal advice. Do you own research.

Agreed, but force them to come to you!

You have to realize that if you choose this course, it is an active fight. You can't stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away. You have to present yourself as a monumental pain in the *** and it will take TIME to win. To them, time is money.

It is WORK.

This is not legal advice. Do you own research.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Agreed, but force them to come to you!

You have too realize that if you chose this course, it is an active fight. You can't stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away. You have to present yourself as a monumental pain in the *** and it will take TIME to win. To them, time is money.

This is not legal advice. Do you own research.

Again, just from experience, they tell you that it will COST YOU MORE but in reality you make it cost them more to deal with you.

I had a case where all I did was write them letters every day with questions and calls too. They ran after awhile. Then we sued them for frivilous lawsuit and violating the Fair Trade Practices Act. We won by the way.

One of my professors once told me, “A good lawyer is one who can convince the court that it’s THEIR truth that is true. Show no mercy. Just when they feel their balls are ready to break, you just squeeze HARDER!”

Again not legal advice. Just experience sharing.

scott vincent

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake
Well I got tired of waiting for Orange Lake to respond to my multiple requests for a status update on the return of our deed, so i l looked up the Orange County, Florida Comptroller's office and did a deed search. I just put in the date range of 16Jul18 to today and my last and first name in the Grantor field. Sure enough, the search populated a deed recorded on 20Sep18 and shows it transferring to Orange Lake Country Club Inc. It showed a fee of $53, but i have not had any correspondence indicating who would pay that fee. I printed a copy for my records. The whole process was simple and we paid nothing to transfer at this point. Happy to have some indicator of movement.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Today I called the number and spoke to a customer service representative regarding a deedback (we own at Las Vegas Desert Club 98,000 points EY). She said she would put in a request for a warranty deed to be sent to us within 2 to 3 weeks. She said to sign and return, and that as long as we start the process prior to the end of the year we will not be responsible for next year's maintenance/club fees. - Jacki

scott vincent

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake
Well I got tired of waiting for Orange Lake to respond to my multiple requests for a status update on the return of our deed, so i l looked up the Orange County, Florida Comptroller's office and did a deed search. I just put in the date range of 16Jul18 to today and my last and first name in the Grantor field. Sure enough, the search populated a deed recorded on 20Sep18 and shows it transferring to Orange Lake Country Club Inc. It showed a fee of $53, but i have not had any correspondence indicating who would pay that fee. I printed a copy for my records. The whole process was simple and we paid nothing to transfer at this point. Happy to have some indicator of movement.

FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!!!! I had called Orange Lake after the above actions, they indicated i was supposed to have received a FedEx'd confirmation in OCTOBER! They sent me to another person who said there was a FedEx package sent, but they would not provide me with the tracking information, so i think it did not happen and they just didn't want to admit it.

I received a FedEx'd document 2 days later and we are not officially FREE!

Thanks to everyone here that provided me with guidance and humor during this exercise. I have guided others to this web site hoping to pass on the good work to them.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Today I called the number and spoke to a customer service representative regarding a deedback (we own at Las Vegas Desert Club 98,000 points EY). She said she would put in a request for a warranty deed to be sent to us within 2 to 3 weeks. She said to sign and return, and that as long as we start the process prior to the end of the year we will not be responsible for next year's maintenance/club fees. - Jacki
Update: the warranty deed arrived within a week. It had to be signed and notarized and they provided a prepaid Fedex envelope for its return. I tracked the envelope and called them 10 days later. They told me that they received the deed and sent it out to be recorded. They told me I would not receive a confirmation but I could call in 6 weeks to make sure it went through, and that I do not have to pay the upcoming maintenance charge. So easy!

becsl527

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this. Have a timeshare that was Ron Jon Cape caribe Resort which was bought by Orange Lake Resort that we want to transfer to trust. Our lawyers already did the deed work, but are there additional transfer documents (for anyone that sold to another person) - I know with Marriott you have to register the transfer with them just wondering if HICV has something similar.

andichaos71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations
11Sep18 UPDATE: It has been quite a while, >30 days, since i FedEx'd my paperwork back to HICV Orange Lake and i have heard nothing. I called them today and spent more than 45 minutes on hold waiting for them to pickup my call. Once Jessica picked up the phone, she was polite and advised that my package was transferred to the Title Dept of Florida (right) on 10Aug18 and should take 4-6 weeks before i received my release paperwork back. Jessica advised me to call back the first week of October for a status update if not yet received. All i see is another push to get more maintenance money out of us by them playing delaying actions, but hopefully this will be our last year of any fees paid for something we should never have done to begin with.

I will add an update when more is info is available.

Regards.
Scott,
Is your timeshare mortgage paid off, if you don't mind me asking? I am just wondering how hard, or if it's even possible, to get rid of one that you owe on. My husband wants to take out a loan, pay it off, then try to get them to take it back. But, it makes me sick to just throw 12,000 down the drain!! I don't care if they keep what we have already paid, we just want out! I am so mad at myself for getting sucked into this scam!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Orange Lake Kissimmee
Waterside SpinnKer Hilton Head
Admin Edit: The reported 800 number to the HIVC deedback department is: 800.298.3706

We own a week at Orange Lake, the mortgage is paid in full. Does anyone know if when deeding back if you have to pay 2109 maintenance fee due Feb 1,2019 when our timeshare week is first week in June 2019?