• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HOA holding the line against MF increases?

WahooWah

Reaction score
When someone comes to TUG, and wants us to "raise our voices and defend our ownership," it's usually because they are sales people. It will be interesting to see who you turn out to be.

Since you are located in Hawaii, I'm guessing sales, or perhaps a local reseller, or since you know 3 board members, maybe lower management. Aloha!

And it's interesting to me when you advise buying prospects that they shouldn't purchase at the home resorts and should either rent or buy at a cheaper resort and use StarOptions to make reservations at the 8 month reservation mark as if it is an effective cure-all for someone who wants to come to Maui every year and that owning at the home resort is never a good idea. I guess it is all just really "interesting". Please spare me your self-righteous witch-hunt nonsense.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hmmm... Touched a nerve, I guess. :wave:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Your contributions to the discussion so far have been conjecture, uninformed opinions, baseless accusations and a general sense of entitlement. I have not seen you present a single fact or a shred of thoughtful analysis to this topic.

Your response does not encourage a civil discussion about this topic. Your posts also ignores the thoughtful and detailed earlier post, and I find it unfortunate that your escalation of this discussion with personal attacks is necessary.

Without evidence to the contrary, it seems your bias is extremely pro management. Historically, that bias on TUG tends to indicate an employee or otherwise affiliated with the industry. Your refusal to comment further on the three purported board members you know personally only encourages our disbelief.

Of course, someone needs to purchase these timeshares from the developer, so don’t let us stop you from buying some...I hear there’s a time limited great deal so you should consider buying today!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I 'liked' the post from @LisaRex but I wanted to further that by saying a more comprehensive thank you. That is one of the best posts I've seen on Tug, potentially ever. It was thorough and thoughtful, and included citations.

I don't own at any of the Maui resorts (although I've been there a few times, either on packages or as a renter). I think the best thing owners there could do would be gather up those 13k names from the deeds and send everyone a printout of that post by lisarex, and ask them to contact their board about why their costs are so much higher.

My personal opinion, is that Vistana raises MF to approximately the usage value of the lowest season unit. As evidence for this, I comment that WKORV fees are lower than WKORVN which are lower than Nanea. WKORV is held down by the island view deluxe units, which are getting pretty close to zero value, imo. WKORVN is a bit higher because there are no outliers, and nanea is even higher because they assigned more maintenance to the ocean front units so they can get more money there without raising the MF on the resort view out of line with value. This pattern is broadly repeated across the portfolio, with low season units at most resorts worth ~0, but the MF increases always seem to stop there, and even though vistana doesn't do takebacks directly there aren't many units with a deeply negative value.

I'm not sure why they'd do that, maybe they use any money in excess of the actual expenses to purchase things from affiliated companies to pad their own bottom line. There was some discussion awhile back about what various resorts were spending on buying cable/telephone services from a Vistana owned company, as one example.

If anyone decides to actually do a mail out, I'd be happy to contribute something to the cost even though I wouldn't personally benefit from any changes.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
the other thing to consider is while MFs may have been flat over the last few years, they've basically doubled over the last 10yrs...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here's the other thing: Vistana makes a percentage of the maintenance fee for managing the resort - they higher the MF is, the more they make.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Just an FYI. The Ritz Carlton Residences has similar/more luxurious 2 bedroom/2 bath lock-off condos for sale that have use of the Ritz hotel amenities. The Ritz Carlton Residences have a rental program whereby Owners can rent out the condo. The Ritz Carlton Hotel manages the check-in/check out of guests. The Residences also have a third party to manage rentals.

Monthly Maintenance: $3293.44

I am quite certain that the Ritz is still making money charging $3293.44 monthly.

http://www.luxuryrealestatemaui.com...al-estate-the-ritz-carlton-residenc-for-sale/

http://www.luxuryrealestatemaui.com...lton-dr-1221-23-kapalua-real-estate-for-sale/