• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HIVC Fox River & Day Trips to Chicago

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 sisters & I will be going to Fox River at the end of September for one week (a 13 hour drive from home). We would like to explore the local area as well as spend 2 or 3 days in Chicago. I've done some research and the timeshare appears to be adequate for our needs (we're in a standard unit, not presidential). To get to Chicago we can drive but parking is expensive. Or we can take the Metra from Aurora but I've read that the parking lot can fill up early with business commuters. Or we can take Amtrak from Mendota which has long-term parking, allowing us to overnight in Chicago. I've never been to the area and could sure use some guidance.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
The lot in Aurora is small and can fill. The next stop at Route 59 in Naperville has two lots, and should have adequate parking.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
What are you wanting to do in Chicago?

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The above question "what are you wanting to do in Chicago?" is a good one. Depending upon where you want to go driving into the city might be OK. I did this same trip last September. I stayed at Fox River and went into Chicago about 3 times. I looked into taking the Metra but when I compared the round trip Metra ticket to parking it was worth it to me to drive in so that I could come and go when I wanted. The day I went to the Museum Campus I parked in Soldier Field for $22 for the whole day. I took the water taxi to Navy Pier from there and an Uber back. Another day I used a parking app and parked near the Art Museum. It was easy and convenient; paid on my phone. Take a look at the round trip train fare. With two people it might actually be cheaper to drive and park. I love Fox River and have been there many times. I used to own there.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm from Chicago and can assist you with some of your questions. One thing that is unclear from your post is this...are you wanting to park you car somewhere and leave it overnight for several days while you're in chicago? Based on your answer, I can give you more specific advice.

dreamin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Things we would like to do or see in Chicago....architecture river cruise, hop-on/hop-off bus tour, Millenium Park, Grant Park, Magnificent Mile (walking, not shopping!). We need to be budget-conscious and will be time-limited so we won't be going to the museums. We enjoy walking and people watching and I've been told we must try the Chicago pizza.

I consider myself a good driver and have driven many long-distance journeys but I live in a small city so big city driving does make me anxious. They drive so fast! Miami, Atlanta and Southern CA come to mind! This is probably a bigger factor than the cost of the parking. That is why I was looking into public transit options although driving would certainly give us more flexibility. The train schedules are more geared to commuters going to work. We thought it might be more efficient to stay 1 or 2 overnights in the city and leave our car in the train station's long-term parking lot (unsure of the cost). The Metra will cost us each $19 return and there are 3 of us. Is it possible to drive to a nice suburb closer to the city, stay and park at the hotel, and use public transit from there? Or is this not a good option?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely agree w/your logic of NOT having a car when downtown. Once you are downtown you won't need it. The problem is this -- most Metra lots are not going to allow you to keep a car in their lot overnight. And even if they did, they require daily parking fees. You won't be there to "refeed the meter", so to speak. A couple of ideas for you... 1) Can you leave you car at the Fox River resort while you head into Chicago? Then, take an Uber to the nearest Metra station and take the train into the city. 2) Find some other long-term parking option (hotel?) near a metra station where you can leave you car. Which Metra station are you looking to use?

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in for the Chicago pizza. Try Lou Malnati's, they are far superior to most others for Chicago deep dish pizza. There are a couple of locations near downtown Chicago.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in for the Chicago pizza. Try Lou Malnati's, they are far superior to most others for Chicago deep dish pizza. There are a couple of locations near downtown Chicago.

completely agree on this suggestion. I like Lou's much better than the other "Chicago Style" pizza chains.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You also "have" to try an authentic Italian Beef sandwich. I like Giradano's because I like double crust and you can find one of their restaurants in Oswego.

An Uber from Fox River could get pricy as it is about an hour from the Metra station in Aurora. Just a thought, I wonder how much long term parking is at O'Hare? From there you can make connections into the city.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just a thought, I wonder how much long term parking is at O'Hare? From there you can make connections into the city.

Midway Park saver is $12 per day, and right across the street from the orange line station.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midway Park saver is $12 per day, and right across the street from the orange line station.
I think the OP was not really confident about driving into the city. That is why I was thinking O'Hare which is on the Tri-State tollway. Midway is farther in the city.

Scootr5, you need to think of me next time you get some Tony Weed's Pizza!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Giradano’s is good and so is Lou Malnati’s but my favorite is Geno’s, great tomatoes and the crust isn’t too heavy.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the OP was not really confident about driving into the city. That is why I was thinking O'Hare which is on the Tri-State tollway. Midway is farther in the city.

Scootr5, you need to think of me next time you get some Tony Weed's Pizza!

I understand your thinking, but Midway would be closer off 55 (and to me, not really "in the city" driving. Tony Weed's is our favorite local pizza place.

Giradano’s is good and so is Lou Malnati’s but my favorite is Geno’s, great tomatoes and the crust isn’t too heavy.

Gino's East is my favorite of the deep dish places as well (but only the original on Superior, not any of the franchised locations).

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I understand your thinking, but Midway would be closer off 55 (and to me, not really "in the city" driving. Tony Weed's is our favorite local pizza place.

Gino's East is my favorite of the deep dish places as well (but only the original on Superior, not any of the franchised locations).

We actually just had one open on the Wisconsin Dells. We always went to Geno’s East also. I haven’t had one in decades but when we went to the one in the Dells a couple weeks ago my taste buds remembered. It’s actually they only deep dish my wife likes.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We actually just had one open on the Wisconsin Dells. We always went to Geno’s East also. I haven’t had one in decades but when we went to the one in the Dells a couple weeks ago my taste buds remembered. It’s actually they only deep dish my wife likes.

We've been to the one in the Dells, and I didn't care for it. Maybe we'll have to try it again.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've been to the one in the Dells, and I didn't care for it. Maybe we'll have to try it again.

We’ve been there twice. I always get the stuffed pizza.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tony Weed's is our favorite local pizza place.

Disclaimer to OP: Tony Weed's is not deep dish and don't expect to eat there, but it is good pizza.

dreamin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked into all the suggestions made and I think I have come up with a solution. I phoned the parking department for Aurora and they advised that the Route 59 Metra lot was redesigned 2 years ago and it is never full. The cost is $2 for 24 hours. I was told that I could buy 2 tickets, place them on my dashboard, and leave the car overnight. She said they had no break-ins for over 2 years since they installed security lighting and cameras. We are going to stay one night at the Thompson Chicago. At $263 after taxes it was the best deal I could find in a very, very expensive city. We'll have 2 full days in the city and will try to see as much as we can. The rest of the week we plan to explore the local area and do some hiking in the state parks. Looking forward to it all!

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enjoy your stay in the Windy City. Just remember as you are cruising the Chicago River, that it is part of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. It used to be a big open sewer:eek:, but that was a long time ago (1960?). At least it is not the Cuyahoga. It has been revitalized now, but not so much when I was growing up.

Aurora:
Phillips Park
Virgil Gilman Nature Trail (Blackberry Farm/Blackberry Creek)
Architecture on the river bridges
Paramount Theater

DeKalb:
Northern Illinois University (Lovely Campus)

Geneva:
Great town in general
Fabyan Forest Preserve

Mooseheart

Starved Rock State Park

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is this? Is it on broadway? My daughter ate at a new pizza place on Broadway and when she saw the boxing pictures talked to the owner. It turns out he says my father trained him. I have been meaning to go there.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it's on Broadway. There are two that are close to each other. This one is Geno's. I forget the name of the other one, I think it's Mama's.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it's on Broadway. There are two that are close to each other. This one is Geno's. I forget the name of the other one, I think it's Mama's.

OK, you're talking about the Gino's pizza on Broadway (which is not affiliated with Gino's East from Chicago). It doesn't help that I was confusing it with the chain Uno's Pizza on Dells Parkway (which is/was terrible).

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, you're talking about the Gino's pizza on Broadway (which is not affiliated with Gino's East from Chicago). It doesn't help that I was confusing it with the chain Uno's Pizza on Dells Parkway (which is/was terrible).

Yes, there’s no mention of affiliation. When you mentioned that, I just thought I may have missed it since i’ve Only been there twice but you were thinking Uno. I do like the Geno’s though. I thought the taste was the same but it has been about 30 years since I was at Geno’s East. :)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up on south side, it was Gino’s pizza there. But we always had Aurelio’s because he was a good friend of my father