• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Historic Powhatan vs Greensprings in Virgina

dlferree

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a family vacation during October 2018 for 12 people which includes myself, my wife, daughter and her husband and three kids, son and four kids. The seven grand kids range in age from 22 to 2. We'll be renting a four bedroom, which both resorts have. The reviews are about equal, so I was wondering if anyone could give the pros and cons as to which of the two resorts they think are the best.

Thanks,
Dave

mbinpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greensprings is a newer resort with a nice outdoor pool but limited indoor activities. Greensprings also has a golf course attached.

Powhatan is an older resort (with actual historic plantation house on it) but has much larger pool and activity building. If you are planning to spend time swimming, etc. at the resort in Oct then Powhatan might be the way to go.

Both are in the same general area and an easy drive to Historic Williamsburg.

I own at Greensprings but switch back and forth with Powhatan to keep things interesting.

dlferree

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

With seven grand kids swimming might be a major attraction. For me personally, I am interested in the colonial and civil war history of the area. I have been wanting to go for about four years. I've finally made the commitment to go next year.

DRIless

Reaction score
We are planning a family vacation during October 2018 for 12 people which includes myself, my wife, daughter and her husband and three kids, son and four kids. The seven grand kids range in age from 22 to 2. We'll be renting a four bedroom, which both resorts have. The reviews are about equal, so I was wondering if anyone could give the pros and cons as to which of the two resorts they think are the best. Thanks, Dave

I own at both resorts and prefer Powhatan, although for a 4BR unit, you can't go wrong with either.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in a 2 bd @Powhattan yrs ago and also visited GS that week. As noted above about the age difference, we prefer the Powhattan as it just seems to 'fit' the historic aspect of the area better. However, we would not hesitate to stay at GS.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a family vacation during October 2018 for 12 people which includes myself, my wife, daughter and her husband and three kids, son and four kids. The seven grand kids range in age from 22 to 2. We'll be renting a four bedroom, which both resorts have. The reviews are about equal, so I was wondering if anyone could give the pros and cons as to which of the two resorts they think are the best.

Thanks,
Dave
OK. We own at both, but have not been there in a few years now. For what it's worth, here is my pitch:

There are differences and similarities between the two resorts. Since you are interested in a 4 BR lockout, check out the DRI page for GSR - you can click on the the "floor plan" to see the layout. I believe each 2 BR unit is something like 1200 ft sq. and the units are (lock-out) and on the same level. There is a small indoor pool. But in October, I would not imagine there is much for kids. The resort straddles the Williamsburg National Golf course which is not affiliated with GSR (nor DRI) but you can get a discount. No Restaurant or convenience store. Powhatan, is older, but many units have been remodeled and upgraded. The buildings look more like 2 story town homes. The 2 over 2 bedroom units mean that they are "stacked." There is a common entry foyer. The first floor unit is at ground level while there is a stairwell that accesses the second floor unit. Like GSR, each 2 BR unit is about 1200 ft sq. each. The last time I checked the web site, I clicked on the "floor plan" but it did not launch. PR is larger than GSR by area and # of units. There is a Manor House on site. It was built in the mid 18th century and, if memory serves, I believe it was owned by a certain Richard Taliaferro. It was restored and is indeed a unique treasure of American colonial history. PR has a bar and restaurant, "The Grill." very convenient. There may still be a gourmet restaurant called "The Kitchen. " This detached house is set to the north site of the Manor House. It is a unique experience offering authentic colonial cuisine. There is also a convenience store.

mbinpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Kitchen has been out of business for quite a while - it is now a coffee shop. Gourmet coffee.... sort of.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Kitchen has been out of business for quite a while - it is now a coffee shop. Gourmet coffee.... sort of.

That's too bad. The Kitchen added some authenticity to the resort's "historic" name.