• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach - Marriott questions

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
We have never been to HH or MB. Looking at all the Marriott properties. Going in July.

None of them appear to have many restaurants in reasonable walking distance. Is one better than other but still on beach?

Which one has best sand beaches right outside the resort?

Any of them walking distance to shops or movies?

We are 50ish, somewhat active, and prefer walking over driving.

Any nightlife in either place? No kids on this trip.

Or maybe better to just stay at hotel!? Any GREAT hotel recommendation in either city?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have never been to HH or MB. Looking at all the Marriott properties. Going in July.

None of them appear to have many restaurants in reasonable walking distance. Is one better than other but still on beach?

Or maybe better to just stay at hotel!? Any GREAT hotel recommendation in either city?
MB is in a residential community so not too much there other than the on site options. Bike paths are everywhere, you may want to rent bikes if you don't want to be driving around. Regardless I would rent a car if you're not driving, I would not go to either without a car. For HHI there are the 2 at Harbour Town (Harbour Club & Heritage), 4 on the beach and 2 near Shelter Cover Marina on the water but there is no beach. Barony and Surfwatch are newer and on the Beach but there isn't much that close. For Harbour Pointe and Sunset Pointe it's an easy walk to Shelter cove and not that far to a lot of other options. Monarch is on the beach but there isn't much close though there is a trolley to get around that goes to Harbour Town and other options within the Sea Pines Plantation IMO the best balance is Grande Ocean because it's around half a mile to a bunch of options, newer and on the beach. The majority would also put it as the best resort in general.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This July? It will be tough to get the Grande Ocean this late and quite honestly not sure what will have availability. Are you going to be using DC points? Either way I'm not sure you're going to find anything to rent unless you look at owner rentals. Hopefully it works out for you.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This July? It will be tough to get the Grande Ocean this late and quite honestly not sure what will have availability. Are you going to be using DC points? Either way I'm not sure you're going to find anything to rent unless you look at owner rentals. Hopefully it works out for you.

Just renting on redweek. Lots of inventory.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MB is in a residential community so not too much there other than the on site options. Bike paths are everywhere, you may want to rent bikes if you don't want to be driving around. Regardless I would rent a car if you're not driving, I would not go to either without a car. For HHI there are the 2 at Harbour Town (Harbour Club & Heritage), 4 on the beach and 2 near Shelter Cover Marina on the water but there is no beach. Barony and Surfwatch are newer and on the Beach but there isn't much that close. For Harbour Pointe and Sunset Pointe it's an easy walk to Shelter cove and not that far to a lot of other options. Monarch is on the beach but there isn't much close though there is a trolley to get around that goes to Harbour Town and other options within the Sea Pines Plantation IMO the best balance is Grande Ocean because it's around half a mile to a bunch of options, newer and on the beach. The majority would also put it as the best resort in general.

I appreciate that info. I’ll dig in a little deeper. I want to get it right as we’ll be there for the week. Thank you.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just renting on redweek. Lots of inventory.
Since you are renting you can check out the Hgvc's in Myrtle Beach. We are walkers too and there is lots in walking distance.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel there is more nightlight in MB, more restaurants, more dinner shows, and more amusement activities.

There are more outlets malls, shopping centers and movie theaters at MB.
Theses are my opinions only.

However, We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere on HHI.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that info. I’ll dig in a little deeper. I want to get it right as we’ll be there for the week. Thank you.
It really depends on what you want. If it's the beach and as much as possible within walking distance or a short bike ride, MGO & the HGVC are the top timeshares IMO. If it's just close to restaurants but be able to get to the beach I'd say the 2 by Shelter cove plus DVC are our best options. Just a condo rental might be even better, maybe Sea Crest as it's closer to Coligny.

Since you are renting you can check out the Hgvc's in Myrtle Beach. We are walkers too and there is lots in walking distance.
I'd second this, great resort, same location as GO.

I feel there is more nightlight in MB, more restaurants, more dinner shows, and more amusement activities.

There are more outlets malls, shopping centers and movie theaters at MB.
Theses are my opinions only.

However, We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere on HHI.
This is true but further away from the resort.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally different vibes to each. We enjoy both for different reasons.

Since you are not really familiar with either-- you're probably going to end up using a car at either place.
These are not places where you park your car and walk to restaurants, shopping centers and hop on a water taxi.

Generally speaking-- The Myrtle Beach area itself is hotel beside hotel beside hotel. Historically, they were mom and pop run hotels that grew into large complexes with additions over the years. Because these mom and pop hotel operators got the land back in the 50's, there historically wasn't real estate for big hotel developers to come in. That explains why there are no large luxury big hotel name resorts... the good land is simply not available. The large chains are waiting for these old mom and pop operators to age out and sell. Marriott told me it took them more than 10-years to buy the land where the Ocean Watch timeshare and the hotel are now located. I wouldn't call MB a "pretty" place-- it's a jumbled hodgepodge-- But MB is popular. The Marriott is bit away from the "heart" of Myrtle Beach-- which gives it a different feel from the rest of MB. It's in an upscale development (Grande Dunes)-- expensive houses, condos and a country club beach house are the immediate neighbors. So there is a "little" bit of space from the "hotel beside hotel beside hotel" congestion. Many go to Marriott Ocean Watch and do not leave the complex. It's a bubble from the rest of Myrtle Beach. Not close enough to walk, but a quick drive is every type of restaurant you could imagine. This is a tourist town and the restaurants are typically large and hold a lot of people. There are a nice shopping areas, excellent live shows and movies. But there are also PLENTY of t-shirt shops. MB caters to every taste. You will see it all in MB.

Hilton Head is visually "natural" with shades of green and brown. Zoning laws require trees and bushes that basically hide shopping centers and buildings. You can't just cruise down the street and pick a restaurant because you can't "see" the restaurant. You almost have to know the name and address of where you are going when you leave your hotel. It's not urban at all. It's the opposite of MB-- you will not see a strip of hotel beside hotel beside hotel. It's known for wide meandering bike paths that crisscross the "island." The vibe is more relaxing. Things are spread out -- plenty of walking pathways-- for exercise. But you will have to get in a car to go shopping, to restaurants or to take part in an activity (canoe tours for example). There are outlets and small boutique shops.

With that said, at both places there are plenty of people who arrive, go to the grocery store to stock up for the week, and never get in their car again until the end of their stay. On most vacations we are usually "doers"-- but at both MB and HHI we stay on property most of the time. We walk the beach, walk the pathways, play tennis, ride bikes and go to the pools. We don't plop in a chair and sit for a week, but we do stay mostly on property. We venture out for dinner once or twice but that's about it.

I hope this helps give you a better visual image.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Excited, and maybe a little nervous, but we have decided on MB. Anybody have their "must do" activities in MB? Must go to restaurants?

Anybody know if we are staying at the timeshare property can we use the hotel pool and facilities? Just curious what my options are.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excited, and maybe a little nervous, but we have decided on MB. Anybody have their "must do" activities in MB? Must go to restaurants?

Anybody know if we are staying at the timeshare property can we use the hotel pool and facilities? Just curious what my options are.

The beach is the one must do activity!

Broadway at the Beach is a neat retail/dining/activity venue with some cool stuff.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

For walkers in MB, I agree that HGVC is more centrally located toward downtown.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If you plan to stay with Marriott, I would recommend the following:

Entertainment Options - MB / OceanWatch

Restaurants - HHI has more choices in a smaller radius (it's an island after all).

Walking/Biking Options - HHI / Grand Ocean or one of the 3 MVCI properties within Sea Pines Plantation (Monarch is beachfront, but the other two have golf/tennis inclusions if that is of interest).

As others have said, different vibe but both are quite enjoyable. Depends on what is most important to you. In either location, a car is definitely useful.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

We love Brookgreen Gardens in nearby Murrells Inlet.
Always a highlight of our trip to MB.

We also enjoy minor league baseball Pelicans games.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Brookgreen Gardens in nearby Murrells Inlet.
Always a highlight of our trip to MB.

We also enjoy minor league baseball Pelicans games.

I 2nd Brookgreen. It was the place I learned to love bronze statuary. Some tug at your heartstrings. There is detailed exhibit showing how difficult they are to create.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott’s have only one timeshare resort in Myrtle Beach and that ts Resort is OceanWatch.
Please read the TUGS Reviews and TripAdvisor Reviews about this excellent resort.
Enjoy your stay.

They are some excellent seafood restaurants at Murrells Inlet.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

We don’t receive reciprocal privileges with the Marriott Hotel but who needs it when OceanWatch has four beautiful pools of its own? Below is just one of the several threads out there on places to eat in MB. Enjoy your trip.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/where-to-eat-in-myrtle-beach.228063/#post-1766811

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not much of an expert here and we have only stayed at the Disney Hilton Head resort. But there is a Marriott within walking distance to Shelter Cove. A few restaurants and shops to choose from. We walked to Kroger's and all the restaurants/shops there too. Not sure if the Marriott has a shuttle to the beach (I would find out).

The marina is pretty for evening walks. Sometimes there are concerts, etc. right at Shelter Cove.

If one is staying for a week, I would definitely want to venture out some with a car - so many great restaurants to choose from.

We love Hilton Head. Very laid back/natural/no hi risers. We have been to Myrtle Beach but it has many years/barely remember it. Definitely more commercialized.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We really enjoyed the Carolina Opry (https://thecarolinaopry.com/). It is barely a mile from the resort. We went to the show they now call 'Time Warp'. If you like music from the 60's - 80's (all played live), this is it. Some of the performers sounded as good as the original artists IMHO.

wmp0719

Reaction score

If you are interested in HHI and being close to restaurants to walk to, then I suggest staying at Marriott Harbor Club in the Sea Pines Resort. It is literally walking distance to all the restaurants at the harbor and the famous light house. There is a daily $8.00 charge for your car that the Sea Pines resort charges, but parking at the Marriott is free. Never been to Myrtle Beach yet, so can't comment there.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are interested in HHI and being close to restaurants to walk to, then I suggest staying at Marriott Harbor Club in the Sea Pines Resort. It is literally walking distance to all the restaurants at the harbor and the famous light house. There is a daily $8.00 charge for your car that the Sea Pines resort charges, but parking at the Marriott is free. Never been to Myrtle Beach yet, so can't comment there.

I didn't realize Sea Pines Plantation had gone to a daily charge. The last time we stayed at Monarch, I remember paying at the gate the first time to enter Sea Pines but getting a vehicle pass at the resort to keep on our dash to not have to pay each time we re-entered during our stay. I admit that was a few years ago.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I didn't realize Sea Pines Plantation had gone to a daily charge. The last time we stayed at Monarch, I remember paying at the gate the first time to enter Sea Pines but getting a vehicle pass at the resort to keep on our dash to not have to pay each time we re-entered during our stay. I admit that was a few years ago.
I think the pass that Monarch gives you is the result of a fee paid by MVC to Sea Pines for the daily use, and is buried in the owners MF's. That's how it works at GO (and at GO, you don't even have to pay to go into Sea Pines the first time). Without that deal between the resorts and Sea Pines, there would be a daily fee. I suppose its possible that Harbor Club does not have such a perk buried in the owner MF's, but it seems more likely that all of the MVC resorts in that area do.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the Marriott's in Sea Pines give you a pass but you do have to pay to get in to get in. Grande Ocean gives you a pass as well. Our last trip we had a week at Heritage starting on Friday and Grande Ocean weeks starting on Saturday and Sunday. I contacted GO as part of my preplanning and was able to pick up one of our passes early to save that one admission fee.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Heritage Club in January. At the gate to enter Sea Pines Plantation (prior to checkin), we told the attendant where we were going, and he didn't charge us anything to get in. That was completely unexpected, but a nice surprise.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Heritage Club in January. At the gate to enter Sea Pines Plantation (prior to checkin), we told the attendant where we were going, and he didn't charge us anything to get in. That was completely unexpected, but a nice surprise.
I had specifically talked to Heritage for the time I referenced and was told we would have to pay to enter the one time. As I understand it, that is the rule. It sounds like you were given an option outside the rules that others should not expect.