• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Grand Vacations at The Crane

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It will be interesting to see what exactly is available :ponder:

From the old TripAdvisor thread (link)

Feb 17, 2017
I was at the meeting where the owner of The Crane, Paul Doyle made the announcement. He is in negotiations with Hilton Grand Vacations, which is Hilton's timeshare company, to buy all of the unsold units (which Doyle still owns). They represent about 1/3 of the total units and are primarily in the low season. This is expected to happen in the very near future. There will be two separate companies and it will still be managed by The Crane.

Feb 19, 2017

I have been asked to post the following by NYSbeachgirl, a regular on this Forum, who is having a problem with the system.

"It looks like the negotiations will go through. Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV) wanted the deal completed in the first quarter of this year, but Paul Doyle said there are too many details to resolve for it to happen that quickly. They want to buy all the unsold units in all but buildings 1 & 2 (I also heard, but not from Doyle, possibly not the ones in the middle of 5). Apparently, there were 20 people from the Hilton walking around with clipboards. They were told not to say anything yet. I was told that one of them said something to an owner or owners and Paul Doyle felt he needed to make an announcement, which he did on Jan.31st. There was a very large turnout at the meeting and lots of questions. Doyle made it clear that decisions are made by the shareholders and that he is the only shareholder.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
It will be interesting to see what exactly is available :ponder:

From the old TripAdvisor thread (link)

Feb 17, 2017
I was at the meeting where the owner of The Crane, Paul Doyle made the announcement. He is in negotiations with Hilton Grand Vacations, which is Hilton's timeshare company, to buy all of the unsold units (which Doyle still owns). They represent about 1/3 of the total units and are primarily in the low season. This is expected to happen in the very near future. There will be two separate companies and it will still be managed by The Crane.

Feb 19, 2017

I have been asked to post the following by NYSbeachgirl, a regular on this Forum, who is having a problem with the system.

"It looks like the negotiations will go through. Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV) wanted the deal completed in the first quarter of this year, but Paul Doyle said there are too many details to resolve for it to happen that quickly. They want to buy all the unsold units in all but buildings 1 & 2 (I also heard, but not from Doyle, possibly not the ones in the middle of 5). Apparently, there were 20 people from the Hilton walking around with clipboards. They were told not to say anything yet. I was told that one of them said something to an owner or owners and Paul Doyle felt he needed to make an announcement, which he did on Jan.31st. There was a very large turnout at the meeting and lots of questions. Doyle made it clear that decisions are made by the shareholders and that he is the only shareholder.

I saw that same information when I googled “HGVC” and “The Crane”. February 2017? I wonder why it took 1.5years. I also wonder how they’re going to work out the deeds. Will an Independent British Commonwealth allow noncitizen ownership in perpetuity or would it be an RTU type purchase?

I agree with the above posters that this is a fabulous addition and I really like the moves that HGVC have been making of late.

Sean

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
They represent about 1/3 of the total units and are primarily in the low season. This is expected to happen in the very near future. There will be two separate companies and it will still be managed by The Crane.

I am not exactly excited about the "primarily in the low season" part. But i assume that owners there will be invited to join the club.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw that same information when I goggled “HGVC” and “The Crane”. February 2017? I wonder why it took 1.5years. I also wonder how they’re going to work out the deeds. Will an Independent British Commonwealth allow noncitizen ownership in perpetuity or would it be an RTU type purchase?

I agree with the above posters that this is a fabulous addition and I really like the moves that HGVC have been making of late.

Sean
I looked up listings for this resort, they are RTU

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I am not exactly excited about the "primarily in the low season" part. But i assume that owners there will be invited to join the club.

I saw that too. That doesn’t sound like HGVC to buy just low seasons.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The Crane's existing owners, even if given the option of joining,
may not be too happy to share their digs with HGVC members.
Now they'll be awash with self-important, annoying HGVC peep.
... Too bad, so sad.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Update...TripAdvisor thread has a link to a new Barbados article this morning

From https://barbadostoday.bb/2018/09/11/multi-million-dollar-deal/

...Making the announcement on Monday during a media conference at Government Headquarters, owner of the Crane Resort Paul Doyle said it took about two-and-a-half years to complete negotiations and cement the arrangement.

He gave the assurance that Millennium Investment Ltd would remain the owner of the Crane, while adhering to HGV’s brand standard.

Under the agreement the Crane will be subjected to a quality score each month.

“We have made a sale transaction where they purchase timeshare inventory from the Crane. The transaction value is US$54 million. So, it is a significant transaction and that is just phase one,” said Doyle, who pointed out that the deal consisted of two phases.

“They are calling it ‘Hilton Grand Vacations at the Crane’. So what this does it really allow us to be full year-round. It is quite an opportunity for us. It takes the seasonality out of the business,” he said.

Under phase one of the agreement HGV will acquire one, two and three-bedroom suits timeshare inventory from Millennium Investment Ltd over a 28-months to three-year period.

Sales are scheduled to start by next month, and HGV Club Membership occupancy is expected to begin early next year.

Though not giving details of the level of planned investment for phase two, Doyle said that phase would see HGV purchasing “new built inventory” or about 120 units, which he said was more than phase one.

“An investment like that does demonstrate confidence in Barbados and that confidence is something that we all need at this time. So the timing of this is very important for growth in the Crane as a company and for Barbados,” said Doyle.

He said the partnership would allow the Crane, which is already in the timeshare business, to open more restaurants, offer more variety, and “dramatically” accelerate its growth.

...“As important as phase one is we are equally looking forward to phase two because phase two is about building new product and ensuring that new product can be sold, bringing additional value to the country and additional jobs and additional foreign exchange. So we really are very happy,” she said.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Yay!! This is a development we will be following very closely. We have visited the Crane Resort and it is a very nice development. We have vacationed in Barbados several times and it is one of our favourite Caribbean islands. It has consistent, sunny weather and it is south of the normal hurricane path. We may ultimately be interested in buying there, but will have to wait to see the details. Really pleased to see this investment in the Caribbean, particularly if it is part of the regular HGVC Club.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I saw that too. That doesn’t sound like HGVC to buy just low seasons.

If there is NEW builds and new phases, it will not just be low season.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Man I hope this winds up being a good thing for members. The beaches in Barbados are 2nd only to the Bahamas in terms of beauty.

Can't wait. I have been to the Virgin Islands and thought St. John had the most beautiful beaches in the world.

How is Barbados in terms of safety and being able to venture out? We were taken aback by the crime and poverty on St. Croix and St. Thomas. However that was 25 years ago so perhaps this has changed.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Barbados generally is a very safe island. It's not that crime doesn't exist, but we have been all over the island and always felt welcomed and safe.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Very excited to see what HGVC does with their units!

From the pictures which I saw, I don't think that HGVC needs to do anything.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I also came across this map and photo yesterday

7118088A-67F1-41AC-BDA7-8B8962B25A83.jpeg

873CFF0E-966E-4EA4-824C-BBCF1AB2C317.jpeg

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i've stayed in Building 2 or 3 and Building 5.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
How was the air conditioning, water pressure and mosquitoes during your stays?
They seem to be the highest complaint on TripAdvisor.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is because they used the poor water cooled method of AC, not a real AC. They have more of a problem in Building 1 and 2. Don't know if it impacts 3. The units they put in were undersized for the units, plus I feel that the water method just leaves air moist not really that cool, so humid not really cool air is not great. But I have been there when the breezes were blowing and it was just fine. I think they put real ACs in later or fixed the problem, as I don't remember building 5 being and issue.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm just glad that it's not Las Vegas or Hawaii.

I recently had to same problem at Wyndham Sea Cliffs, as it is also a water cooled system. Could not get room below 77F and it was humid too.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I also came across this map and photo yesterday

View attachment 8209

View attachment 8210

I am speculating that most of the inventory purchased is for the Residences in the Park(big circle in the middle). I think these are 2BR and 3BR units that were recently constructed (2017?) and there appears to be ample space for further expansion.

This would explain how HGVC was able to acquire whole units, plus the ability to buy another 120 units in the next phase.

Perhaps the 1BRs are the unsold units from the original phases (with scattered 2BRs and 3BRs too) with most inventory being in the Crane Circle (my term).

Irrespective, I remain thrilled to have access to this property, which I have tracked for years and understood to be one of the more elusive trades.

I would further speculate that it will be like Hokulani, where there is an extended Home Resort Reservation period (6 months) before they open for Club Resorts at Grand Islander-like point requirements.

Will be interesting to see. Thanks for posting this Phyllis, I looked for a map yesterday and could only find satellite pictures.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am speculating that most of the inventory purchased is for the Residences in the Park(big circle in the middle). I think these are 2BR and 3BR units that were recently constructed (2017?) and there appears to be ample space for further expansion.

This would explain how HGVC was able to acquire whole units, plus the ability to buy another 120 units in the next phase.

Perhaps the 1BRs are the unsold units from the original phases (with scattered 2BRs and 3BRs too) with most inventory being in the Crane Circle (my term).

what you are saying makes sense. All the units in the big circle are resort view though so i do hope that they will invite current owners to HGVC.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Have to admit Barbados was not really on my radar for a vacation destination. But will definitely do some research, this is an exciting new location.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Although I prefer ocean view, a plunge pool would be new and different.

Agree that Barbados was not on our radar also. One benefit of timesharing is trying new locations. Portugal and the new Japan HGVCs are on our bucket list too. I also like that unlike exchanging you are not required to spend an entire week and have some control over unit type and view.

Last edited: