• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton buy back and points usage question...

cycleman1979

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hello all,

My wife and I loved our HGVC points for a while, but with three young kids now there isn't a lot of travel in our near future. I'm looking to sell back to Hilton for their admittedly low prices - something is better than nothing. I have 4800 points at South Beach and 4800 points at Tuscany. Hilton has gotten back to me with info on what they will pay to buy the points back. My question - I banked 2016 forward into this year and haven't used any points from 2017. Can I use these points now before the sale without jeopardizing the sale or do I have to sell the 'year' back to Hilton with full/unused points for 2017?

I've asked Hilton resale this question but with a possible 21 day wait for each email response I thought I'd seek info elsewhere. I originally posted in the selling forum, but someone suggesting I try here in the HGVC specific page for a higher concentration of expertise on this subject.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with me everyone!

Cycle

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I dunno if anyone here has actually sold-back to HGVC.

My guess would be that they'd allow you to use saved and current year points, if you have paid MF's for this year. But you need to ask first. Nothing counts like getting it from the horse's mouth.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think you should be able to use the banked points for sure. I also think you can probably use the 2017 points, as its doubtful HGVC would be trying to resell those contracts this year... A few years ago we traded up with HGVC and we were able to keep all of the banked points from the old contract we traded in.

That said, i agree with Talent312, i would double check directly with HGVC to make sure using the points doesnt negativly impact their offer.

I know you didn't ask, but did you consider working with one of the better brokers to try and sell your weeks on the private market? Not sure what HGVC is offering, but you might net more money selling privatly.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are selling all of your Hilton interests, I think they are going to want to close you account when they close on the takeback. So even if they are letting you use the points it may have to be before the transfer closes unless you have another to keep the account open. This applies to RCI as well as you will no longer have an RCI account once the transfer closes.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've sold back to Hilton once, towards a resale. Anyway, it was contingent upon the points in the account at the time the offer from Hilton was made. Any EXISTING reservations I had were to remain intact. But if I used any of the points after the offer from Hilton, it would change the offer. So I'd advise you either re-read your paperwork from Hilton (I got an actual email/letter from them with the offer details) or call and inquire to be sure.