• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hike recommendations Bryce and Zion with 6 year old

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are taking a trip to Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon with our 6 year old in early June. She did great at Yosemite last year doing hikes up to 9 miles. I am looking for recommendations for shorter hikes at the parks with minimal elevation change that would be suitable for her. We only have one night at Bryce (Bryce Canyon Lodge), a week in St George (Villas at Southgate) and two nights at Yavapai Lodge at the GC.
Thank you!!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I can't speak much to hiking in either Bryce or Zion. All the trails I went on were nice, especially the one leading to the jump off point for The Narrows at Zion. You might want to check the NPS websites for those Parks.

But since you'll be in St. George a full week, you may want to explore Snow Canyon. It's right outside of St. George, and has very diverse hiking options. Great scenery, and easier in and out than driving up to Zion. https://www.hikestgeorge.com/snow-canyon-state-park-hikes/

Dave

Reactions: LMD

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak much to hiking in either Bryce or Zion. All the trails I went on were nice, especially the one leading to the jump off point for The Narrows at Zion. You might want to check the NPS websites for those Parks.

But since you'll be in St. George a full week, you may want to explore Snow Canyon. It's right outside of St. George, and has very diverse hiking options. Great scenery, and easier in and out than driving up to Zion. https://www.hikestgeorge.com/snow-canyon-state-park-hikes/

Dave
Snow Canyon and Pioneer Park in St George were both awesome!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sounds like you had a good time. :) So you found some good stuff? How did your daughter do?

Dave

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a good time. :) So you found some good stuff? How did your daughter do?

Dave
Yes! Awesome trip. We went to Hoover Dam, drove through Lake Mead on our way to St George. Stopped at Valley of Fire State Park on the way. St George has lots to offer for children- children's museum, Rosenburch Wildlife museum, Toniquint Park (very close to timeshare). We hiked a day in Bryce and a day in Zion. She made it to the upper Emerald Pool in Zion and around Queens Garden/ Navajo Loop in Bryce. We did two days in the Grand Canyon (lots of walking on the rim trail) and rode bikes (with a tag along for her) from the visitor center to Hermits Rest. Last but not least Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas. Can't wait to go back! Maybe in a few years when she is old enough to hike down into the Canyon.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes! Awesome trip. We went to Hoover Dam, drove through Lake Mead on our way to St George. Stopped at Valley of Fire State Park on the way. St George has lots to offer for children- children's museum, Rosenburch Wildlife museum, Toniquint Park (very close to timeshare). We hiked a day in Bryce and a day in Zion. She made it to the upper Emerald Pool in Zion and around Queens Garden/ Navajo Loop in Bryce. We did two days in the Grand Canyon (lots of walking on the rim trail) and rode bikes (with a tag along for her) from the visitor center to Hermits Rest. Last but not least Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas. Can't wait to go back! Maybe in a few years when she is old enough to hike down into the Canyon.

Wow! Heck of a trip! Glad you enjoyed it. Isn't St. George a great town?

Dave

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Heck of a trip! Glad you enjoyed it. Isn't St. George a great town?

Dave
Yes, we thought it was lovely! Very bike friendly too. I am recommending it to all of my friends that take biking vacations:) Next time we will go during a non summer month. We live in FL and are used to the heat but boy.....it was intense!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, we thought it was lovely! Very bike friendly too. I am recommending it to all of my friends that take biking vacations:) Next time we will go during a non summer month. We live in FL and are used to the heat but boy.....it was intense!

Desert Southwest. It does get hot there. Spring and early Fall are great.

Dave

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Both Bryce and Zion have guides that recommend hikes for kids. They both will also likely have some guided hikes or talks designed for kids as well.

It can get VERY hot so plan to hike in the early morning or evening. But Beverly careful as that is when wildlife is most active. Make sure your child stays very close and never runs.

Since you’ll be in the area I highly recommend visiting Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Both Bryce and Zion have guides that recommend hikes for kids. They both will also likely have some guided hikes or talks designed for kids as well.

It can get VERY hot so plan to hike in the early morning or evening. But Beverly careful as that is when wildlife is most active. Make sure your child stays very close and never runs.

Since you’ll be in the area I highly recommend visiting Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah.

They've already been there. This is after their trip.

Dave

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score

We were constantly on the lookout for snakes and other wildlife. We saw coyote, rams, elk, various birds and lizards. I had a death grip on my daughters hand most of the time because of heights...LOL! I can't imagine taking multiple young children or a child who does not listen on some of those hikes. I saw one boy slip and fall while trying to hurry to catch up with his sister in Zion....it was inches away from being tragic. We didn't get to the Animal Sanctuary but I will put it on my list for next time.

mash84121

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point, WorldMark
Do the Canyon Overlook Trail in Zion. Short and fairly easy hike with great views. Navajo Loop trail in Bryce is great as well although a little steeper.