• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV Point Shield Grace Period

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience adding Point Shield to reservations after 24 hour reservation grace period? My dad called to cancel a reservation the other day a couple of days after making it and the representative offered to check with her supervisor to see if they could add Point Shield. It wasn't a lot of points, so he declined, not knowing if they would do this more than once and wanting to save the option for the future. What's the longest after a reservation anyone has been able to add Point Shield? Is this something that can be done more than once?

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
My understanding always was it must be done when reservation is made, and can not be added after the fact.

It's $35. Cheap insurance

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I was told that the point shield had to be added at time of reservation BUT several months out my wife had open heart surgery and they let us add it because it was unclear whether she would be able to go. We ended up not going and canceling our reservation and i kept my points/

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called in and cancled a reservation last year, I was within the time period where I was due 50% of the points back. the Res. Agent asked if I would like to Pay $35 to get the total amount of points back? "she had to check with her Supervisor" but yeah, I was allowed to pay the $35 and get all my point returned. again at the end of the year I had some points expiring from 2016, they offered to extend them for $199 I debated it and decided at that time to let them go. they contacted me with an extension of the deadline.. I ended up saving the points and found a renter for a week and made that money back and some profit! So it would seem they are eager to try and convert expired or forfited points into cash. probably assuming they will expire again??? makes me wonder how many points don't get used, and Vaporize every year? RT

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called in and cancled a reservation last year, I was within the time period where I was due 50% of the points back. the Res. Agent asked if I would like to Pay $35 to get the total amount of points back? "she had to check with her Supervisor" but yeah, I was allowed to pay the $35 and get all my point returned. again at the end of the year I had some points expiring from 2016, they offered to extend them for $199 I debated it and decided at that time to let them go. they contacted me with an extension of the deadline.. I ended up saving the points and found a renter for a week and made that money back and some profit! So it would seem they are eager to try and convert expired or forfited points into cash. probably assuming they will expire again??? makes me wonder how many points don't get used, and Vaporize every year? RT

How long after the original booking date did you cancel?

-Scott

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott, I don't remember the exact dates but it was a couple months anyway