TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

HHonors points increase

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by toontoy, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM.

1. toontoy

toontoy Guest

I just noticed today that many places now require more HHonors points. They snuck in an increase it appears.

2. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
    Where and when are you looking to book? A few years ago Hilton announced that, at times, they would be using a demand/availability driven system for the amount of points that would be needed for reservations. Therefore, when you say that the snuck in an increase it is very possible that you are trying to reserve rooms at times when hotels are already almost full therefore, they are going to charge a high amount.

I just checked Honolulu during Christmas a New Years week, which is a prime time period to a prime location that I have used Hilton Honors points for hotel stays to get less expensive flights to Honolulu before my timeshare stays. They are the same amount of points as usual.

3. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    Hilton is still my preferred chain and I still collect HH points, but...
    IMHO, point-values are just not high enuff to stick with one brand.

I stopped using AmEx Hilton to add on HH-pesos a few years ago.
    I switched to a Chase Sapphire that, IMHO, offers a better benefit.

4. Tamaradarann

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
    I don't use my Hilton Aspire Credit Card for all purchases; only the ones which give me bonuses. Getting the standard 3 HH points per dollar is not that good. However, I use the Aspire Card to get the 11 Bonus points per dollar on Hilton Brand expenditure like my Reservation and Maintenance Fees, Hawaii Occupancy Tax, and Resort Room Charges, and 4 Bonus points per dollar for Restaurants, Airlines, and Car Rentals.

For other charges I use a 2% cash back card

5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Recently I received an offer to upgrade my Hilton Amex card to Hilton Amex Ascend card with 150K bonus. I thought it was a good deal after reading the point valuation on points guy as .6 cent per point. After I received the card, I went online and did a few mock booking... nope 150K is worth just about not much. I called them back to cancel the new card and reverted back to my no fee Hilton Amex card. I only use Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Bonvoy for my regular travel and other spending.

6. brp

brp TUG Member

Yup. Hilton are great for international travel. Some very nice lounges and we've gotten some fabulous multi-room upgrades. Domestically they're OK. We certainly use our free nights.

We also both have Hyatt cards that get a free night and mrs. brp uses it as a primary spend card so that we can get Explorist status. We like the Hyatt offerings.

We use Bonvoy less, but I have two cards so we get two free nights.

Minimal brand loyalty (unlike airlines where we have a lot of loyalty), except for Hilton abroad.

Chase Sapphire is my main spender (once I get the $4K for the 150K HH pesos for my new Aspire). I do use Amex Platinum for airlines for the 5X points.

Most of this goes to BA Avios for upgrades.

Cheers.

7. Tamaradarann

Resorts Owned:
    I don't know what you thought you were getting for the free sign up bonus, but I can get 3 free nights in Honolulu for that and for an additional 50,000 points which I have I can turn that 150,000 points into 5 free nights in Honolulu. Maybe you will not use or value the other benefits of the Aspire Card. The $250 airline and resort credits pay for the card + $50. The free weekend night is easily worth $250-$300. Getting 14 points per dollar instead of 6 for Hilton expenditures is worth at least another free night at my spending rate which is worth another $250-$300. To sum it up in addition to the sign up bonus I get more than $1000 in value from the $450 cost of the card.

8. brp

brp TUG Member

I agree with this, for the most part. We don't use our Hilton cards for primary spend, so the 14x points don't add up. But all the rest (+$50 after airline and resort, free night) definitely do. This is why we both have this now - because it makes back more than it costs.

Cheers.

9. Tamaradarann

Resorts Owned:
    We don't use the Hilton Card for primary spend either. If we did we wouldn't get the 14x points per dollar on most expenditures. You only get them on Hilton Brand expenditures.

10. natarajanv

natarajanv TUG Member

Conrad Bora Bora just went up to 89000 for a standard room. Used to be 80000