• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Right of First Refusal

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I was always told Hilton just used this to disuade you from buying a timeshare second hand but today they excercised their ROFR to snap up 7,000 points I was buying on the Big Island. Real estate agent said they did it twice today. Was under contract to buy for $4,995 at Kohala Suites.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I moved your thread to the HGVC forum. I think that you will get a better response here.

Welcome to TUG and sorry that HGVC snapped it up. Can you also add to rofr.net db? Thanks

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I moved your thread to the HGVC forum. I think that you will get a better response here.

Welcome to TUG and sorry that HGVC snapped it up. Can you also add to rofr.net db? Thanks
Not sure what rofr.net db is?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
It's a database that tracks ROFR from the major timeshare groups. It helps track the trends of what they are buying back. It gives resale buyers information on how low you can offer without it being bought back.

Link

I seem to remember reading in a thread that Hilton was buying back a lot of resales in Hawaii.

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
It's a database that tracks ROFR from the major timeshare groups. It helps track the trends of what they are buying back. It gives resale buyers information on how low you can offer without it being bought back.

Link

I seem to remember reading in a thread that Hilton was buying back a lot of resales in Hawaii.
Think I'll try Orlando. Maybe better luck there. Thanks.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Think I'll try Orlando. Maybe better luck there. Thanks.

In my opinion the ROFR database is helpful, but its hard to predict exactly what the big Timeshare developers will grab with ROFR. I think a big part of the the equation is what they have in inventory vs demand for a particular resort. I know HGVC has grabbed some out from me, at prices above what had passed previously.

It frustrating, but just keep looking. You will find something.

Chris

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
Just told another realtor I'd like to move on 10,000 points in Vegas, where I already own. We'll see what happens. Thanks.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just told another realtor I'd like to move on 10,000 points in Vegas, where I already own. We'll see what happens. Thanks.

10.000 points in Vegas is 2 x 5000 which is gold season.

I hope you get the contracts cheap as I would otherwise suggest to find a platinum contract in stead.

Also IF this is actually one contract/deed with 2 x 5000 points you might find it harder to dispose of if you need to at some point.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I agree with Cyberc -- make sure you know what these 10,000 points really are. Two separate contracts? What are the total maintenance fees for both contracts? You will probably have two separate HGVC enrollment fees @ $599(?) for each week.

I'm not saying this is a bad deal, but just wanted to make sure you know exactly all the costs (initial and on-going) of buying two 5K weeks.

Kurt

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
10.000 points in Vegas is 2 x 5000 which is gold season.

I hope you get the contracts cheap as I would otherwise suggest to find a platinum contract in stead.

Also IF this is actually one contract/deed with 2 x 5000 points you might find it harder to dispose of if you need to at some point.

Not really concerned about season as I have no interest in staying in Vegas anyhow. Usually go the Bay Club on Big Island and have never had an issue finding a 2 BR 9 months out. Re-selling would not be in the plans. Kids can have it when I'm gone, lol.

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I agree with Cyberc -- make sure you know what these 10,000 points really are. Two separate contracts? What are the total maintenance fees for both contracts? You will probably have two separate HGVC enrollment fees @ $599(?) for each week.

I'm not saying this is a bad deal, but just wanted to make sure you know exactly all the costs (initial and on-going) of buying two 5K weeks.

Kurt

Thanks, I'm aware and yes there will be 2 enrollment fees. O well.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really concerned about season as I have no interest in staying in Vegas anyhow. Usually go the Bay Club on Big Island and have never had an issue finding a 2 BR 9 months out. Re-selling would not be in the plans. Kids can have it when I'm gone, lol.

The point about seasons is not about when you stay, but about how many points you would get for the same MFs.

If you have a Gold season in Vegas (I think the numbers I'm giving are for 2BR, but it works the same in any case), you'll get 5000 points for about $980 or so.

If it's a Platinum 2BR, you'll get 7000 points for the same $980. More points for same same MFs (and likely a bit higher on the purchase price), so this adds up over time.

So, two 5000 point contracts gives you 10000 points for about $1900 in yearly MFs. 14000 points can be had for the same MFs.

As someone who has two 5000 point Gold weeks in Vegas, I know well of what I speak about this mistake :)

And, to your point, we've used ours for Bay Club quite a few times with no availability issues.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

I only meant you need to make sure you get a good deal as 5000 points is a 2br gold season. You will pay the same mf for those 5000 points as you will for 7000 points which is platinum season. Therefore you should be concerned about season.

For comparison I bought in Vegas a 1Br 6200 points. I pay the same mf as those who get 3400 or 4800 points. Long term I’m getting a better deal unless they paid significantly less for their unit compared to mine.

On top of that you will pay the mf twice per year as you have two contracts.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was always told Hilton just used this to disuade you from buying a timeshare second hand but today they excercised their ROFR to snap up 7,000 points I was buying on the Big Island. Real estate agent said they did it twice today. Was under contract to buy for $4,995 at Kohala Suites.

You might look at Bay Club. Right next door (literally!) to Kohala Suites, and no ROFR.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The buy-in for Bay Club may be much less than Vegas. You can be many years ahead buying Bay Club platinum before the Vegas savings offsets the buy-in price. Plus you own where you want to stay which protects you if the exchange rules change in the future.

Plus there is no ROFR at Bay Club.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
The buy-in for Bay Club may be much less than Vegas. You can be many years ahead buying Bay Club platinum before the Vegas savings offsets the buy-in price. Plus you own where you want to stay which protects you if the exchange rules change in the future.

Bay Club prices seem to be pretty low right now. There are two 7000 point platinum listed for $1500 and $2000 and an 8400 platinum for $3000 in the Tug marketplace as we speak. No ROFR.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay Club prices seem to be pretty low right now. There are two 7000 point platinum listed for $1500 and $2000 and an 8400 platinum for $3000 in the Tug marketplace as we speak. No ROFR.

I bet those 8400 points will have roughly the same MF as those 10.000 points but they will not cost $3000. They might cost you $5.000 instead

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I only meant you need to make sure you get a good deal as 5000 points is a 2br gold season. You will pay the same mf for those 5000 points as you will for 7000 points which is platinum season. Therefore you should be concerned about season.

For comparison I bought in Vegas a 1Br 6200 points. I pay the same mf as those who get 3400 or 4800 points. Long term I’m getting a better deal unless they paid significantly less for their unit compared to mine.

On top of that you will pay the mf twice per year as you have two contracts.
Thanks.

FGL71

Reaction score
yes... just picked up 7k annual points @ Bay Club for $885 on ebay, won an auction.

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton

Plus there is no ROFR at Bay Club.
Just opened a contract for a week at Bay Club for $1,500. Agent says HGVC will offer me membership at usual $599 which will get me the 7,000 points.

kevreh

Reaction score
The point about seasons is not about when you stay, but about how many points you would get for the same MFs.

If you have a Gold season in Vegas (I think the numbers I'm giving are for 2BR, but it works the same in any case), you'll get 5000 points for about $980 or so.

If it's a Platinum 2BR, you'll get 7000 points for the same $980. More points for same same MFs (and likely a bit higher on the purchase price), so this adds up over time.

So, two 5000 point contracts gives you 10000 points for about $1900 in yearly MFs. 14000 points can be had for the same MFs.

As someone who has two 5000 point Gold weeks in Vegas, I know well of what I speak about this mistake :)

And, to your point, we've used ours for Bay Club quite a few times with no availability issues.

Cheers.

So just so I understand, I can pretty much ignore Gold vs Platinum and just focus on the points right?

EDIT: I should have added "...assuming the MFs are the same".

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
So just so I understand, I can pretty much ignore Gold vs Platinum and just focus on the points right?

NO you want platinum. Why? The MF are the same for a 2 BR period. That 2 BR could be bronze silver gold or platinum time. If platinum you will get 7000 points for your MF. If gold you will only get 5000 point FOR THE SAME MF as the 7000. That will make your MF per point HIGHER.

Buy Platinum is the best rule.

Last edited:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

No before you buy a hgvc timeshare you need to focus on buying the right number of points. The right number should either be a platinum 1br, 2br or 3br platinum. A 1br platinum is most commen 4.800 points and 2br platinum is 7.000 points. Always buy platinum as you get more points for the same MF.

You could buy gold points which are cheaper to buy but in the long run will cost you more compared to platinum points. 1br gold is 3.400 points cost the same in MF as 4.800 platinum points yearly in MF.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If there is a specific resort in hgvc that you want to visit most times at the same time each year that is a high demand resort or high demand week I would focus on buying that versus amount of points you get.

For example I wanted a specific week at one of the affiliates in Florida. Being it is a hard trade because it is a high demand week to trade into that was my focus and that is what I got. Similarly I needed a lower demand week in a high demand area but it is a lower valued point week which I will used it more often then not. Being I wanted a guaranteed week and view and it is hard area to trade into I opted for less points.

kevreh

Reaction score
NO you want platinum. Why? The MF are the same for a 2 BR period. That 2 BR could be bronze silver gold or platinum time. If platinum you will get 7000 points for your MF. If gold you will only get 5000 point FOR THE SAME MF as the 7000. That will make your MF per point HIGHER.

Buy Platinum is the best rule.

I think I get it. To me, 7000 points is better (of course) than 5000 points if the MFs are the same. Whether one is Gold or Platinum doesn't matter, its a label of sorts.