TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

HGVC exchange points to RCI for a cruise..? Anyone has done this?

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by elleny76, Feb 9, 2018.

1. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

Just read RCI has cruises as well to exchange. Has anyone done this? thanks

2. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Rci offers discounts for using points. I doubt it would be a good use of your points.

elleny76 likes this.
  3. alwysonvac

alwysonvac TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark, Vistana, Disney, Hilton
    Keep in mind, the best use of HGVC points is for timeshare stays.

All other options are just allowing you to use your timeshare towards the cost without really saving you anything. In most cases, your out of pocket cost will be higher for a cruise exchange (when comparing the discount offered against the cost of the week you're giving up).

I'm not sure if the RCI cruise exchange option is available to HGVC members since HGVC has their own cruise exchange program. If I remember correctly, RCI gives a discount for up to 4 staterooms with one exchange but the discount is generally very low (see link for examples - rcitravel.com)

However it's always better to use your HGVC points than to lose them. So if you're seeking to do a cruise exchange, you'll probably get a better deal with HGVC's Partner Perks which gives you approximately $1 for every 10 points.
    For example: 7000 points would reduce your overall cruise cost by $700 approximately (see link - https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/club-membership/clubpartner-perks/cruise).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    elleny76 likes this.
  4. Shmiddy

Shmiddy Guest

Just did - 7500 points saved me about $1000 on an Alaska cruise. Not the best use of points I know but I looked at rolling them over or converting to HHonors and this was the best option for us. The Cruiseonly HGVC page allows you to plug in the amount of points you want to use and shows you what you save - each cruise/line was different when we checked so shop the site. We did find that the base cruise rate was close to online sites as well as Costco travel.

Note - wait to call the 800 number until you know exactly the cruise you want.

5. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Thanks for sharing. That doesn't seem too bad if you have 7k Vegas points, pay a maintenance fee of around $900, and don't have a better use for the points - it's $1 per point use of the maint. fee.

Much better than a 20:1 Hilton Honors conversion which would only get you 140,000 points which is about 2 nights in a Hampton.

Of course, if you pay more per point in pricier locations, then it is not a good use of the points. This is where your mileage may vary.

What percent of the total Alaska cruise is the $1000 discount?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    elleny76 likes this.
  6. Shmiddy

Shmiddy Guest

Saved me about 15% - essentially paid our upgrade to a club class suite

elleny76 likes this.
  7. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    That’s terrific and on Valentine’s Day too :thumbup:

Any tips on using the site to locate the better deals?

From what I briefly saw, it looks like the discount is applied at the end allowing you to use any combination of points and cash for the cruise booking. How did you locate the right combination (ship, travel date and stateroom type) to give you the better conversion rate ($ per point)? Or are you including the value of some type of bonus offer in the $1000 savings?

Does HGVC’s Club Partner Perks fee of $104 apply to cruises exchanges too?

elleny76 likes this.
  8. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    I would like to refer back to your experience when others ask about HGVC’s cruise option in the future.

Can you provide details (total cost breakdown)?
    Which Alaska cruise did you book? (at least Ship, length of cruise and departure port).

Thanks

elleny76 likes this.
  9. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

Awesome information . I didnt even know we have HGVC_cruises which its better than RCI for sure. Can you please advice how to do it, notes? tips? links? thanks so much

10. Shmiddy

Shmiddy Guest

We checked with a local travel agent as well as different sites on prices. Because of my work schedule we needed to be specific on the cruise date plus we are traveling with friends and wanted to make sure we could get rooms close to each other so we didn't do the last minute value cruise thing. There is a link to the HGVC cruise site on the HGVC website - it's https://hgvc.cruisesonly.com/. When you choose the package there is a calculator that shows the discount based on how many points you want to apply - was different by cruise line as well as sailing date and cabin type so shop around on the site.

We chose the July 1st sailing on Princess - we'd cruised Princess before and wanted a mini suite. Looking at all the packages they were fairly close in price with some differences in perks - I called the HGVC line to ask for help and the lady we got at first was no help at all, what I wanted to get from her was how to best use points and she was zero help so we did our research, picked a sailing and cabins from the site and simply called to book (you have to call in if you want to use points). We haven't picked our excursions yet, you can through the cruise line direct of through CruisesOnly.

Again - not the best way to use points but was a use or loose situation, I am not a fan of RCI so was not looking to bank points and I have more HHonors points than I can use at the moment. Plus the conversion would maybe get me a few days somewhere - would rather get the upgrade on a cruise.