• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with Star Gazing on Big Island Please!

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are travelling to Oahu and Maui this year and are very excited.

We haven't been to any of the other islands and are wondering about side trips.

My wife loves star gazing and I see that there is an amazing observatory on Big Island and supposedly some of the best star gazing on the planet!

Has anyone been and has tips to share? Both tips for travel and lodging as well as maybe a tour company.
Thanks so much

Radley

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The observatories at the top of Mauna Kea are closed to the public, but over half way up, at the 9200 ft level, right before the road goes to four-wheel drive only, there is a visitor center. They have typically brought out serious amateur astronomy telescopes after sunset for viewing of planets, nebula, etc. Unfortunately, that program has been suspended for about six months according to the website, for facility improvements. You didn't say when you would be going. We'll be on the Big Island in about a month and were hoping to do this again (we did it on our last trip in 2011), but are disappointed it has been suspended.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/visiting-mauna-kea/star-gazing-program.html

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are travelling to Oahu and Maui this year and are very excited.

We haven't been to any of the other islands and are wondering about side trips.

My wife loves star gazing and I see that there is an amazing observatory on Big Island and supposedly some of the best star gazing on the planet!

Has anyone been and has tips to share? Both tips for travel and lodging as well as maybe a tour company.
Thanks so much

Radley

This is what we did. It was expensive but worth it.
https://maunakea.com/

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been a few years, but we did go to the top and the star gazing was incredible. Biggest factor with the star gazing is that if the moon is bright, star gazing will not be as good. We took a tour, but one can also get to the top with a 4 wheel drive.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I liked our trip up Mauna Kea. We drove a Dodge Charger to the top. In good weather it doesn't take much car to get to the top. We were on island for a few weeks so we were able to choose a good weather. We did sunset and after a couple of hours we were cold enough to head down to the park where they had all kinds of equipment to view other galaxies and planets. The coolest thing was when the moon came up. Viewing the moon through very expensive equipment was really something to see.

We also did sunset on Haleakala on Maui. We left a couple of hours after sunset. There is a building up here to escape the wind. It was worth the time. Regarding both observatories, it is very windy and does get cold.

On Big Island we saw plenty of stars just sitting on the deck of our condo.

Bill

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
You might contact any Hyatt properties.

The Hyatt at Maui Kaanapali Beach used to have telescopes on its roof one or two days a week, haven't checked on it lately tho'.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I liked our trip up Mauna Kea. We drove a Dodge Charger to the top. In good weather it doesn't take much car to get to the top. We were on island for a few weeks so we were able to choose a good weather. We did sunset and after a couple of hours we were cold enough to head down to the park where they had all kinds of equipment to view other galaxies and planets. The coolest thing was when the moon came up. Viewing the moon through very expensive equipment was really something to see.

We also did sunset on Haleakala on Maui. We left a couple of hours after sunset. There is a building up here to escape the wind. It was worth the time. Regarding both observatories, it is very windy and does get cold.

On Big Island we saw plenty of stars just sitting on the deck of our condo.

Bill

But rental car companies do not allow driving on dirt roads I believe.