TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Help, need some ideas for one night in Honolulu (gift)

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Luanne, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

My dd's best friend is getting married in December. In lieu of gifts they asked for help with the wedding or honeymoon. I offered up help with a timeshare, if it worked out, but they already have a cruise planned with the last stop in Honolulu for one night. I told them we'd get them a hotel room for that night.

So the help I need is with ideas for a beachfront hotel, one that would let them check in early, or at least use the facilities before check in time. I'm not really familiar with Honolulu.

TIA

2. tompalm

tompalm TUG Member

Without question, the Hilton has the best beach in Waikiki. It is very close to where they get on the cruise ship. The Marriott or the Disney hotel on the west coast has a great beach. But it is far away from the cruise ship. I hope you are not looking during the holidays. Most of the hotels are sold out already from Dec 20 through early January.

3. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
    There are a number of hotels on Waikiki Beach. We love the Hilton Hawaiian Village and it is such a large property with 8 towers on a 22 acre campus on what we consider the nicest part of the Beach I believe it still will have vacancies.

4. Luanne

@tompalm @Tamaradarann Thanks! I had tentatively booked an ocean view room at the Hilton. It's where we stayed as a family quite a few years back. I also checked with the Hilton to be sure they could check in and store their luggage even if they couldn't get into their room since they'll be arriving in the morning. And, of course they can. It says the room will be in Tapa, Kalia or Diamond Head Tower. Is there any one of those I should request, or are they all about equal?

slip, easyrider and GrayFal like this.
  5. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV, SB & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    They are going to love it there. What a nice gift! I will be at HGVC Lagoon Tower in December with friends.

LisaH likes this.
  6. Chrispee

Chrispee Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The Hilton is great, but for a one night honeymoon stay My choice would be the Royal Hawaiian.

7. Luanne

This one night is at the end of a cruise starting in Australia.

8. Chrispee

Yes I got that. The Royal Hawaiian just has that history and romance factor for a last night in Hawaii. Don’t get me wrong though, I’d be thrilled with the Hilton on the lagoon too!

9. Luanne

Looking at the prices I think it will be the Hilton. I can get them an ocean view room for about half the price of an ocean view at the Royal Hawaiian. This young lady is very important to us, but I'd like to keep the cost reasonable. We're also paying to fly to California for their wedding and the hotel there. I'd love to treat them to the Royal Hawaiian but I think I'll pass.

Chrispee likes this.
  10. Chrispee

Totally understandable. It's a very generous gift you're giving!

11. tompalm

tompalm TUG Member

slip likes this.
  12. mmthomas

mmthomas TUG Member

Consider House without a Key. Beware, Resort fees cannot be prepaid, as far as I know.

13. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
    Diamond Head is the best of those, but the Rainbow Tower would also be nice and we have been able to get that when we needed a hotel night before a Timeshare stay. You can request an upgrade as a Hilton Honors Gold or Diamond Members and perhaps get it.

14. Luanne

Unfortunately not a Gold or Diamond member. Thanks for the input on the towers.

I appreciate the help from everyone.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  15. Luanne

What is house without a key?

When I googled it I found a restaurant. Is that what you are talking about?

I plan to call whatever hotel I pick (most likely Hilton) to let them know this is a gift and the hotel, and resort fee, need to be charged to my credit card.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  16. jtp1947

jtp1947 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  17. Luanne

18. alwysonvac

alwysonvac Sighting Expert TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark,
    HGVC (Oahu & Vegas),
    VISTANA Mandatory (Orlando & Scottsdale)

Bought and sold several over the years including Disney & Four Seasons
    At the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV), on the hotel side, I’m a fan of the Rainbow Tower and Ali’i Tower which are closer to the ocean.

If you’re looking for rooms with the best views then I would choose one of the following:
    - Rainbow Tower Corner King with two lanais (either Harbor Sunset Side or Diamond Head Side; these are the true oceanfront rooms - see link)
    - Ali'i Tower Oceanfront (see link)
    - Rainbow Oceanfront (these are rooms closet to waikiki beach facing the ocean - see link)

But also check out the prices in the timeshare towers (specifically the one bedrooms in the Lagoon Tower and the studio & ocean view one bedrooms in the Kalia Tower).
    JMHO..the timeshare units are better maintained / high quality than the hotel rooms at HHV which have more wear and tear.