• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! just bought a timeshare and I'm freaking out

lvtimeshare

Reaction score
So I just bought a las vegas one bedroom Grandview on 3/17. I got it for $10k. One bedroom. One week with EOY two weeks and 49,000 points.
Did I just get screwed??? The maintenance fee is $200.75 and I thought that was fixed but now I'm reading online that it can go up. They told me it was fixed. But I don't see it in the paperwork as written that way. Do I have any recourse ???

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you should rescind immediately...you paid many thousands too much for something you can buy from an existing owner on the resale market!

welcome to TUG, glad you found us within your rescission period!

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind immediately!!!! You can get this on ebay for a few hundred dollars at most. I just purchased a GrandView 98,000 point contract for $600 with this year's use free, so it was essentially free.

lvtimeshare

Reaction score
oh god!! I don't think I can. I read that it's 5 days. So that would have been saturday... Do you think I have a leg to stand on if I call tomorrow ??

lvtimeshare

Reaction score
I was thinking March 17 bc that is 5 days after. But that's a Sat and nothing was open so how could I rescind??

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking March 17 bc that is 5 days after. But that's a Sat and nothing was open so how could I rescind??
Actually all you needed was a postmark by March 17, and USPS is open on Saturdays. You can try to send it first thing on Monday and see what happens. Did you take up a loan? If so, if you decide to not pay money owed, they may send you to collections.

lvtimeshare

Reaction score
Thank you. ok, so I can send it in the mail early tomorrow and maybe it'd be ok??? How do I know if it goes through? Do I call??

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, id try to follow thru with the cancellation and cross your fingers they accept it!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thank you. ok, so I can send it in the mail early tomorrow and maybe it'd be ok??? How do I know if it goes through? Do I call??
Send it registered, or certified. You'll get tracking and know it was delivered. Don't call.

lvtimeshare

Reaction score
Because they will try to talk you into keeping it.
I won't. I won't keep it. I'm sick to my stomach that I signed the papers. I couldn't sleep or eat all day today. There's also a WYNDHAM that I found i could call. They have eastern standard time. I know Wyndham owns RCI, should I call them tomorrow??

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I won't. I won't keep it. I'm sick to my stomach that I signed the papers. I couldn't sleep or eat all day today. There's also a WYNDHAM that I found i could call. They have eastern standard time. I know Wyndham owns RCI, should I call them tomorrow??

Do not call. First thing in the morning be at the post office with your rescind latter and send it express mail. The faster delivery the better. As long as it has tracking and it can be verified they received it.

lvtimeshare

Reaction score
Do not call. First thing in the morning be at the post office with your rescind latter and send it express mail. The faster delivery the better. As long as it has tracking and it can be verified they received it.
The post office opens at 9, but office max opens at 8 and I can do overnight delivery Which do you think?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The legal call is the USPS date of mailing. Just date all the paperwork within the RESCIND date and mail it "US POSTAL SERVICE CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT" ... that is the date of mailing and legally recognized in ALL courts. Fed EX and other delivery services it has been in the past, the DATE of DELIVERY.

STOP typing on the computer BBS and just do it.

PS .. I KNOW where my local USPS are open on Sunday, too ... not as many as 5 years ago .. and not 24/7 as in the past ... but the main branch in Philadelphia was still a Sunday Post Office open 12PM-5PM

lvtimeshare

Reaction score
The legal call is the USPS date of mailing. Just date all the paperwork within the RESCIND date and mail it "US POSTAL SERVICE CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT" ... that is the date of mailing and legally recognized in ALL courts. Fed EX and other delivery services it has been in the past, the DATE of DELIVERY.

STOP typing on the computer BBS and just do it.

PS .. I KNOW where my local USPS are open on Sunday, too ... not as many as 5 years ago .. and not 24/7 as in the past ... but the main branch in Philadelphia was still a Sunday Post Office open 12PM-5PM
Ok, thank you. I plan to do it. I've barely slept. I'm just trying to see what would be the most expedient and sure fire way to do it. How do I know it has worked?? Meaning, how / when will i know it has been rescinded?

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I believe you are past the point of sure fire and into prayer territory. Get it mailed (certified) immediately and handle the rest with whatever superstition you hold.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you. I plan to do it. I've barely slept. I'm just trying to see what would be the most expedient and sure fire way to do it. How do I know it has worked?? Meaning, how / when will i know it has been rescinded?
You are passed the date of rescission so no, you are at the mercy of whether they will allow you to rescind. The only thing that you can help yourself is to get it done first thing this morning. Use USPS tracking.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So I just bought a las vegas one bedroom Grandview on 3/17. I got it for $10k. One bedroom. One week with EOY two weeks and 49,000 points.
Did I just get screwed??? The maintenance fee is $200.75 and I thought that was fixed but now I'm reading online that it can go up. They told me it was fixed. But I don't see it in the paperwork as written that way. Do I have any recourse ???
Although MF can go up, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Grandview MF have gone up very little in the last 5 years. I wouldn't expect it to go up more than about $30 over the next 5 years, so the average increase of about $5.25 or so a year. Don't forget you also have about a $110 RCI membership to pay which will be about $110 per year. Using each of the bonus weeks or points will be another $149-$250 per usage.

I think in all likelihood you missed your opportunity to rescind and now own it. No use losing sleep over it at this points because once you send off the rescission (which is too late for them to be required to honor) there is nothing you can do about it. You won't know that it worked unless you receive a refund on whatever deposit you paid. I believe the refund period is 45 for a normal rescission but since you missed the deadline I think leagally they can take longer or decide to keep the deposit but let you get out of the rest of the obligation or can keep you to the contract.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also think your opportunity to easily rescind has passed. I also agree that you should send a CERTIFIED USPS letter of rescisdion. At this point, you have nothing to lose by trying. Except some $200/yr.

Actually, youve gotten a pretty good, and usable deal, as developer purchases go. Sure, there are some resales and distressed deals on Grandview weeks/RCI Points ownerships, but you aren't too badly screwed.

If it turns out that you are a new owner (it might take a month to know- they are not required to give you a progress report on rescission until you see the credit refunded to your CC account). Stick around TUG and learn how to use those points. Unless you want to go to Las Vegas every 2 years. It's an either/or deal.

Anyway, for now get that letter off. Follow the instructions exactly that are in your contract. Get some sleep. If this is the worst financial decision you ever make, you will be fine.

Welcome to TUG

Jim