• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help...how do I avoid Sales Presentation

Imducky

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Is there any way to get on a list where Wyndham does not pressure you into attending the their presentation? We are in Atlantic City at the Sky Tower, we refused the presentation and were unfortunately convinced to have a survey done in our room, which happened today. 15 minutes turned into much longer. We were told they would comp the parking for the 3 days we are here. When i went to get the parking validated, I was told they were closed and would have to come back in the morning when the person was there who provided the gifts was in. We check out tomorrow, so I will just pay the parking. Next month we are staying at the National Harbor for a week and I don't want to go through this again. How do I get the wristbands or whatever I need when I check in and avoid this sales crap? Any suggestions?

grab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just say no and if that doesn’t work tell them that you are unemployed and do not qualify

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
When the scheduler starts the chit-chat about what your plans are during your stay, try saying something like "I'm not sure what we have planned, but what we're not doing is a sales presentation or owners' update." I usually say something similar to this without smiling or smirking. The scheduler gets the point and it saves a lot of wasted time on their part.

Remember, a scheduler, parking park person, etc. is not your friend and all the chit-chat is just to get you into a meeting. Don't engage them in small talk, just say NO politely and get on with your vacation.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell them your spouse is NOT coming in during your stay. If you are not married, LIE!

PAYBACK ... as all is fair in LOVE and WAR.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really throws the parking people off when you don't have a car. Last time I was in Vegas, they tried to give me a coupon for a discount voucher and I told them I didn't want it and they were quite unsure what to say.

-Scott

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's usually much cheaper (an quicker) to park in Resorts parking lot, rather than Skyline's.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
So we just got back from quick trip to Great Smokie Mountain resort and they had a unique approach we found reasonable. After telling the parking pass person a couple times we did not want an update she said we could go right up that moment for 'about 30 minutes'. Our room wasn't ready so this was not too bad in exchange for $100 gift card and 2000 Wyndham rewards points. I set my timer for 45 minutes and in fact we were out exactly 45 minutes later just in time for our room to be ready.

Other highlights of the update:

- Now they have a child care room .. so we couldn't have our 6 year old annoy the sales person into letting us go .. darned.
- I heard the biggest lie ever .. about 3 minutes into hello's the closer came along asking if we'd signed the 'testamonial' about not having to pay maintenance fees any longer! What? we hadn't received this opportunity yet? .. I called bullxxxx and they ended up dropping this after a bit more banter.

After the closer left the salesman actually was fairly reasonable .. was a Wyndham owner himself and we all chatted about various resorts we'd been to.

All in all an okay 45 minutes for $100.

Bob

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
It's usually much cheaper (an quicker) to park in Resorts parking lot, rather than Skyline's.

I stayed there for 5 nights last December and the parking at Resorts was completely free. I asked a desk clerk (not a parking person) about it and she told me that Wyndham was going to eliminate their parking fee after the 1st of the year. I guess they didn't, or they only did temporarily.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tell them that I have Tuberculosis - - highly contagious, and leads to death - - and that I'm only months away from my death. It generally wards off the sharks, except for one, who told me that if I hurried, I could take a bunch of Getaways before I died.

We disconnect the phones in our villa, as soon as we check-in, and plug the phones back in when we check-out. Hence, no marketing phone calls (however they may be disguised).

jumoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some lines that I have heard that work... I haven't tried any.
"I didn't bring my wife/husband with me - but I did bring my girlfriend/boyfriend/lover/etc".
"My spouse is on my contract and I am alone on this trip"
"I just declared bankruptcy."
"I rent an apartment, I don't own anything"
"NO."

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
If you do end up going to a presentation, wear a TUG t-shirt. Of course you have to buy one first.

Immediately start telling the sales person all about TUG and the wonderful advise about how to buy resale.

Don't let then sell you. Sell them on TUG and all of the wonderful money saving ideas there. Just keep hammering away on how great TUG and resale is. When they try to give you the BS, just tell them that they need to read TUG and get educated on the real facts.

I don't think that they will keep you there too long.

Jim

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I tell them that I have Tuberculosis - - highly contagious, and leads to death - - and that I'm only months away from my death. It generally wards off the sharks, except for one, who told me that if I hurried, I could take a bunch of Getaways before I died.

Wow that is really low! Too bad you didn't "accidently" cough in that person's face then fake profusely apologize and tell them if they get to their doctor fast enough the doctor may still be able to save their life.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
I go everytime. I irritate the hell out of them. I inherited my timeshare, I have no money in it but Maint fees. I do set a timer on my phone for the amount of time I signed up for, and when the timer goes, so do I. I was in Vegas last week. Told them NO!! She offered me $150, so I said what the hell. Had a guy I already had before. I finished breakfast, and he sent me to the gifting desk. I put up with a lot of verbal abuse from sales weasels, but I have very thick skin. It's like a game to me. I'm doubting there is a Do not sell list, cause I am sure I would be on it!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Start a rental business and send thousands of renters to them who will not buy as what Wyndham is selling cannot compete. Then you will be banned from being gifted.

Richardsdeals

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on what resort you stay at, you may not need a parking pass. Just skip it.

If you feel you actually need one, just say no.

If you get pressured into going and sign up, just call back and cancel.

I usually am polite and simply say, "My time with my family is what I am here for. I am not willing to give that up for anything you have to offer me. Thank you."

The most ridiculous situation I encountered was the Smokey Mountain resort (not the water park one, the other one). There, when I checked in they sent me into a room to get my parking pass and the sales person sat me at a table and started right into a mini presentation. I said no several times and I don't think they heard it once. I finally cut them off and asked firmly for my parking pass. They prompted a visit from the supervisor who said it was shocking that I didn't want to hear more about BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Other than that, everyone has been fine with a NO and given me my parking pass. But at some resorts, I have just skipped out on it and not worried about having a pass.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just buy the biggest package they can sell you with a couple more AMEX cards throwed in.
Send your rescission in the next day.
After doing that 3 or 4 times you’ll find if there’s a no sell list.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have rented before, but do not own a timeshare. There have been a couple of instances where the parking pass lunatic thinks he/she can maple syrup me into a breakfast. The fake politeness just kills me. When the two minutes of drivel ended, I have looked them in the eye and said, "I would like the parking pass, but I have no F&%King interest in a timeshare." Yes - that word. Usually the mouth opens and the eyes get wide, and I get a "Yes sir. Here is your parking pass." My theory is there is no reason to beat around the bush. Only once have I gotten a follow-up phone call and that one went quick.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
My first "no" is polite.

But if my vacation has to start with nonstop pestering to attend a sales pitch, prepare for a verbal onslaught.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I've tried it but maybe just for a laugh (and the gift), start immediately by saying something like, "Whatever it is you're trying to sell me, great! Let's get the paperwork for me to sign. And make sure that, by law, you include the clear and precise rescission instructions."

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on what resort you stay at, you may not need a parking pass. Just skip it.

If you feel you actually need one, just say no.

If you get pressured into going and sign up, just call back and cancel.

I usually am polite and simply say, "My time with my family is what I am here for. I am not willing to give that up for anything you have to offer me. Thank you."

The most ridiculous situation I encountered was the Smokey Mountain resort (not the water park one, the other one). There, when I checked in they sent me into a room to get my parking pass and the sales person sat me at a table and started right into a mini presentation. I said no several times and I don't think they heard it once. I finally cut them off and asked firmly for my parking pass. They prompted a visit from the supervisor who said it was shocking that I didn't want to hear more about BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Other than that, everyone has been fine with a NO and given me my parking pass. But at some resorts, I have just skipped out on it and not worried about having a pass.

This. We normally go to Glacier Canyon in the Dells. The "parking pass" people annoy me to no end. So I just stopped going to their desk. Absolutely nothing has happened to my car. I give my vehicle info to the front desk when I check in. That's all they need. As further proof that the pass is unnecessary, one time I decided to ask for a parking pass at the front desk after the sales office was closed. They didn't have any, so they gave me a business card to put on my dash. So official! I love when I don't have a car. At Avenue Plaza in NOLA, the "parking pass" people kept waving at me, yelling about coupon books. I just waved back and kept walking.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
So I just stopped going to their desk. Absolutely nothing has happened to my car. I give my vehicle info to the front desk when I check in. That's all they need. As further proof that the pass is unnecessary, one time I decided to ask for a parking pass at the front desk after the sales office was closed. They didn't have any, so they gave me a business card to put on my dash. So official!

After we moved to Florida for my husband to take a new job he didn't have nearly the vacation time he used to have. I started going to Orlando and Vegas by myself. After the second time I got in late and forgot to go down to get my parking pass the next day I figured out that no one checked and I didn't need to subject myself to that. Like you said you give them the information about your vehicle when you check in. You may not have a choice if the resort requires a key card for the parking garage but if it is late at night the front desk will have to give you a key to the parking garage. A couple of times when there was a big line to get the parking garage card we asked the front desk to just give us one because we absolutely weren't doing an update and they did. If you are really worried about having a parking pass just save an old one in your glove compartment to throw on the dash. We don't even bother with that anymore.

The first time my husband was with me after I figured out I didn't need to bother with the parking pass people I forgot to tell him beforehand about it. He headed over to the desk for the parking pass and I'm grabbing his arm telling him to just go to the elevators. He tells them he will be right back down figuring something is wrong with me and I need to get to our unit quickly. Under my breath I tell him no you won't be back down and he's looking at me like I've lost my mind. When we finally get to our unit I explain that I haven't been getting them and tell him you don't even need them because no one checks. The man is stubborn and insisted he was going down to get one because he still thinks we need one and says they will just keep calling anyhow. I unplugged the phone which I also forgot to tell him I learned to do and told him everyone has our cell phone numbers so wouldn't be calling the resort anyhow and asked if he is going to listen to me and be happy now. The next few times we stayed at the resorts he would get a big smile on his face like he knew a secret other people didn't know when we would walk right past the parking pass people.

Although when we stay at a resort in an area we haven't been to before I still go to the desk because I want the information packet. Most resorts have good packets put together and we've used a few of the restaurant discount cards they've given us.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I've tried it but maybe just for a laugh (and the gift), start immediately by saying something like, "Whatever it is you're trying to sell me, great! Let's get the paperwork for me to sign. And make sure that, by law, you include the clear and precise rescission instructions."

You could carry around a rescission letter with blanks for date and contract# to show them that you are serious.

-Scott

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Either, "no", with brief comments that I don't have time during this stay or I request a gift amount that I know is above the threshold they're willing to go to.

First offer is often like $50 or $75 Amex. They will easily go to $100. So, I say "for $300 Amex, I will go. Otherwise, it's not worth my time for the amount you are offering". If they offer more than I expecte, some of the time I actually do take it (but it's never been close to $300...)!