• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP: Can't Read Flash-Card on Desk Top

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers !

Went on vacation and took several pictures.
Came home and removed Flash-Card from camera and inserted into slot on Desk-top.
Unlike before...
a window did NOT open asking me which file to open.

So I went into "This Computer" but could not locate the drive !
Found all my other drives (external hard-drive, etc.)

Might I have accidentally "removed" connection to flash-drive ?

HELP !!!

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Keep the flash in the camera and plug the camera into computer. Should see a similar open window. If not, flash card could be damaged.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep the flash in the camera and plug the camera into computer. Should see a similar open window. If not, flash card could be damaged.

Thanks R1Lee !

That'd be a temporary workaround.
I'd be happier with a permanent fix.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try a restart of the desktop. It might see the card reader another time. Or try restarting with a card in the slot (probably not the one with irreplaceable photos).

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Frustrating! First, make sure you can view your pictures on the card in the camera, to make sure it's not corrupted that way. Then, restart the PC. If you have an adapter, plug the card into that, then into a USB slot on the back of the computer. If the formatting on the card is incompatible with the default reading format of the slot, it may not be recognized. Last resort is to plug the camera into the PC and read the card that way, then reformat the card and try reading it directly. The main thing is to not lose your pictures. Good luck!

Dave

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frustrating! First, make sure you can view your pictures on the card in the camera, to make sure it's not corrupted that way. Then, restart the PC. If you have an adapter, plug the card into that, then into a USB slot on the back of the computer. If the formatting on the card is incompatible with the default reading format of the slot, it may not be recognized. Last resort is to plug the camera into the PC and read the card that way, then reformat the card and try reading it directly. The main thing is to not lose your pictures. Good luck!Dave

Frustrating indeed !
I can view the pictures on my camera.

I THINK I screwed up.
In my "Sys Tray" (I believe it's still called that) there's an icon that
I may have clicked on (a few weeks ago) to remove my flash-card.
That icon says:
  • Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
My goal was to safely "eject media".
The "Remove Hardware" part scares me !!!

Any idea folks ???

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is fine for the sys tray... It used to be you should click that so that all files are closed etc before removing the flash stick or anything else. It has nothing to do with it. I think you just have a bad slot on the pc.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is fine for the sys tray... It used to be you should click that so that all files are closed etc before removing the flash stick or anything else. It has nothing to do with it. I think you just have a bad slot on the pc.

Okay... I'll try inserting the flash-card in my laptop to see what happens.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am thinking the bad reader slot too. Try it on another PC and see if it works. If it does, it is a bad slot. You can buy a multi reader that plugs in to USB really cheap to replace the slot.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Well the card reads in the cam, so thank god it’s not the card. Try a different sd card in the pc. Another option is to go into your control panel devices, and remove the sd slot. If you reboot the com, the sd slot should come reappear there, if it doesn’t it’s dead.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
...... Another option is to go into your control panel devices, and remove the sd slot. If you reboot the com, the sd slot should come reappear there, if it doesn’t it’s dead.

I DON'T see (or at least can't identify) the sd-slot.
In desperation:
I inserted the flash-card (a light came on indication it was "recognized)
and clicked all the possible devices
received a message similar to "Please insert media..."
Thus... indicating it wasn't displayed.

Weird.. huh ?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I DON'T see (or at least can't identify) the sd-slot.
In desperation:
I inserted the flash-card (a light came on indication it was "recognized)
and clicked all the possible devices
received a message similar to "Please insert media..."
Thus... indicating it wasn't displayed.

Weird.. huh ?

Sounds like your card slot isn't working right, and may need a driver update or something. Try a different card in your computer, and see if you get the same results. It may not display the reader until a card is inserted. Push comes to shove, take your card into Costco's photo department, (or wherever), and get the images transferred off of it. Then you can do whatever you need to without worrying about the card. (Can you tell I'm married to a photography nut? I've been down this road more than a few times. ;) )

Also, go buy a multi-format card reader/adapter gadget. (Price is minimal, maybe $10-$20.) They plug in via USB to your computer, with an assortment of slots on the other end, so will read different card types. That way you aren't tied to the one slot on your computer. USB slots tend to be more reliable, especially the ones on the back of a desktop PC - those are the ones with power. Front slots are more passive, and more likely to stop working. Once you own the adapter, you can take your card to basically any computer and read your card.

Dave

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, go buy a multi-format card reader/adapter gadget. (Price is minimal, maybe $10-$20.) They plug in via USB to your computer, with an assortment of slots on the other end, so will read different card types. That way you aren't tied to the one slot on your computer. USB slots tend to be more reliable, especially the ones on the back of a desktop PC - those are the ones with power. Front slots are more passive, and more likely to stop working. Once you own the adapter, you can take your card to basically any computer and read your card.Dave

Thanks Dave.

I'll buy one of those "multi-format card reader/adapter gadgets"
I've spent enough effort with an issue with a cheap solution.

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions.