• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading down to Naples FL in January to Help my Aunt

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
There IS a reason housing prices are much higher in the Naples/Bonita Springs/Estero areas..
And poor Bonita Springs has such terrible flooding still. Before the hurricane and continuing afterwards. Don't live near a river on the coast.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Where are those three? Just to mention, a lot of places never go on the market because of word of mouth. This sounds terrible, but most turnover is caused by death and moving to assisted living.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are the ones she is interested in and are member-owned mobile home cooperative in naples

Naples Land Yacht Harbor
West Wind Estates
Cattleya Refuge

My Aunt has now added, Harbor Cove to her list of possibilities. She told me it's not in Naples, but it's not too far away.

Harbor Cove is a resident owned 805 home community located on U.S. 41 between Sarasota and Fort Myers in North Port Florida, directly on the Myakka River which leads into beautiful Charlotte Harbor.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
And poor Bonita Springs has such terrible flooding still. Before the hurricane and continuing afterwards. Don't live near a river on the coast.
We have a small tributary of the Estero River in our community, so small that kayakers can't go all the way through. It flooded twice this summer. water was in the roads and up driveways, but didn't get into homes.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Aunt has now added, Harbor Cove to her list of possibilities. She told me it's not in Naples, but it's not too far away.

Harbor Cove is a resident owned 805 home community located on U.S. 41 between Sarasota and Fort Myers in North Port Florida, directly on the Myakka River which leads into beautiful Charlotte Harbor.
that is quite a distance from the others she was thinking of. at least fifty miles I would guess from the ones you originally listed.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
that is quite a distance from the others she was thinking of. at least fifty miles I would guess from the ones you originally listed.

I know I was surprised... I just got off the phone with her and goggled Harbor Cove. Both of her friends live in Naples. One lives in Naples Land Yacht Harbor and the other lives in Palm River both of these are in Naples. I guess she was just on the phone with her girlfriend that lives in Palm River and her friend went down in September as her unit had some damage and I guess she was complaining to my aunt that her lot rent went up really high this year. So my aunt is hell bent on finding a resident owned location so her monthly cost will be less...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have a small tributary of the Estero River in our community, so small that kayakers can't go all the way through. It flooded twice this summer. water was in the roads and up driveways, but didn't get into homes.
Our whole family loves boats and each of us own or have owned one during our lifetimes, that is the one thing that she really wants is a community where dhe can dock her boat and go out fishing on..

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I was surprised... I just got off the phone with her and goggled Harbor Cove. Both of her friends live in Naples. One lives in Naples Land Yacht Harbor and the other lives in Palm River both of these are in Naples. I guess she was just on the phone with her girlfriend that lives in Palm River and her friend went down in September as her unit had some damage and I guess she was complaining to my aunt that her lot rent went up really high this year. So my aunt is hell bent on finding a resident owned location so her monthly cost will be less...
There are lots of those, but I don't know if they are on the water. We did look in the area you mention, not as well developed

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our friends who owned at crystal lake in Naples, owner owned park, kept a boat at the Naples yacht club near the airport

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are SO MANY retirement areas of Florida now.

Being familiar with the Deland, Florida area for almost 50 years, there now are bunches of these 55+ communities. Inland due west of Daytona Beach on via state hwy 17/92 and off of I-10 and west of I-95. Look at where major airports are, airlines flying into the older person's relatives' home cities. Airports there 50 years ago, are basicly GONE today. 2 lane country roads now have 4 lanes of traffic in each direction. And Deland is known for the BIG retirement developments located there now.

50 years ago ... the MCO was McCoy Air Force Base. Now, it is the airport everyone uses going to WDW.

Personally, Orlando is NOT on my 'retire to' locales. Neither is Daytona Beach.

I am still working on the Ft Lauderdale area at this point in time. It is way warmer in the winter than Daytona Beach, on the ocean (unlike Orlando), has lots of cruise ships and still has some OLD timeshares within walking distance to the ocean.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Our whole family loves boats and each of us own or have owned one during our lifetimes, that is the one thing that she really wants is a community where dhe can dock her boat and go out fishing on..
Naples Land Yacht Harbour is the place you need to visit. Now is a good time to buy in these trailer parks. With many folks scared of hurricanes you will have the opportunity to get better deals.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our friends who owned at crystal lake in Naples, owner owned park, kelt a boat at the Naples yacht club near the airport

Was that close to where their home was? Both of her friends have boats (this is probably the reason all these guys are friends, LOL) and they have their boats docked in their communities so they just walk and jump on the boat and they are off

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Naples Land Yacht Harbour is the place you need to visit. Now is a good time to buy in these trailer parks. With many folks scared of hurricanes you will have the opportunity to get better deals.
We are going down in January, hopefully we can find a good deal... She put her name on a bunch of newsletter lists and 5 people have already contacted her as their places got damaged in the storm and they offered her deals, but she wants to see before she jumps into anything...

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was that close to where their home was? Both of her friends have boats (this is probably the reason all these guys are friends, LOL) and they have their boats docked in their communities so they just walk and jump on the boat and they are off
Those communities are hard to get into. There are two in estero off broadway, but they are very unattractive from the street

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those communities are hard to get into. There are two in estero off broadway, but they are very unattractive from the street

Do you mean the communities that have docks and gulf access are hard to get into?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I think they sell quickly through word of mouth.
Thank you, we will determine the ones she likes the best and then try and get in good with the locals at the community, very good point

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might try for an offseason rental in the community YOU LIKE best .. for several reasons:
1) Trying out the resort for the feel, location, rules and various home layouts.
2) Get into the gossip change for those moving into nursing home, can't travel anymore to FL or the families put up for sale.
3) Decide IF you really want to rent, own, find another place or if the area is really for YOU.
4) Might figure out if renting is the option YOU like best.

PS My parents bought a condo near Vero Beach first; within 2 years, they put it up for sale after buying a single family home near Boca Raton (IBM) in the same development my sister & husband lived in. That lasted a year or two until my sister took a job in Houston (Compaq). Sold the furnished condo for a loss plus the money for commission to sell it; Sold the house for a lost plus the selling commissions and expenses plus most of the furniture they brought for the home. They did NOT buy anything in Houston.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice from Linda. When someone dies in our community, second thought is home available for sale.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Might try for an offseason rental in the community YOU LIKE best .. for several reasons:
1) Trying out the resort for the feel, location, rules and various home layouts.
2) Get into the gossip change for those moving into nursing home, can't travel anymore to FL or the families put up for sale.
3) Decide IF you really want to rent, own, find another place or if the area is really for YOU.
4) Might figure out if renting is the option YOU like best.

PS My parents bought a condo near Vero Beach first; within 2 years, they put it up for sale after buying a single family home near Boca Raton (IBM) in the same development my sister & husband lived in. That lasted a year or two until my sister took a job in Houston (Compaq). Sold the furnished condo for a loss plus the money for commission to sell it; Sold the house for a lost plus the selling commissions and expenses plus most of the furniture they brought for the home. They did NOT buy anything in Houston.

I’m going to suggest that she takes this advice to heart. I just copied the text and sent it to her via email. Thank you so much for the insight.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m going to suggest that she takes this advice to heart. I just copied the text and sent it to her via email. Thank you so much for the insight.

The ONLY people who won out on all the money my parents spent on those 2 houses, were the real estate agents & brokers.

Say my parents' first place was $100K ... with a 10% each cost to close on the "buy in" and another 15% to close on the "the selling" transaction. $25,000K GONE. Then the house ownership .. plus yard maintenance, insurance and furnishing the place for 2 years... and at double the costs. $50,000 plus also GONE.

If they had put that $75,000 into a bond ... at 0% ... but paid OUT just rental rates (remember, their ownerships had either condo fees or landscaping fees plus utilities bills) ... for 4 winter seasons, that would be about $3,750 a month rent for 5 months each year.

And that is WHY to me .. I rather use timeshare vacation stays ... maybe I have to plan a bit ... but my fixed week ownerships ... esp my lockout units ... the numbers work out pretty good.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I think her aunt is also looking forward to being near her friends and doing things with them. I know people say they haveall those friends at timeshares, but I would call them acquaintances. You are very independent Linda, but I wouldn't enjoy spending my winters alone at a timeshare.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But I think her aunt is also looking forward to being near her friends and doing things with them. I know people say they haveall those friends at timeshares, but I would call them acquaintances. You are very independent Linda, but I wouldn't enjoy spending my winters alone at a timeshare.

This is really why she wants to move to Naples so badly, those 3 ladies have been friends forever. Both of her friends have hubbys and they get mad if my aunt if not invited to events. She is so excited to see them on this trip and they all keep talking about how the 3 amigos will be together again in the sun each winter... I think this will be good for her. Since she has her friends and we also have some family down there, she will pick a place and stay put. She had no kids. I'm her closest relative and she knows if she has a place in FL, I will come and visit, plus I really like her friends. They are so much fun to hang with...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just as a comparison, this place is up near Tampa but has an impressive variety of activities. My wife's aunt moved here to retire and met so many new friends with all the activities, not to mention just driving the golf cart around and to the grocery store.

http://www.suncitycenter.org/
I never got around to thanking you for this link, this place looks great and I love that they have a model railroad club...how cool

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We looked at sun city center when we were trying to find a place