TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Hawaii Winter Airfare

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by TXTortoise, Apr 12, 2018.

1. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina (x3)
    Vail Streamside Birch
    I've been tracking San Antonio to HNL for ten years and generally was seeing $800-$900 coach fare, $1300 Premium Economy and $1800-$2500 FC for the past few years.

The most bizarre thing I've seen yet is mid-Feb/early March fares have opened up and AA has PE at $3K+ and FC at $2500+ for SAT-DFW-OGG. I can see where they might want to be overprice PE to fill FC, but the numbers are just nuts.

Just wondering if folks from east coast non-major hubs to OGG are seeing the same thing, though I guess they would hit Atlanta for Delta direct to OGG.

Seats are still wide open, but since we usually fly late Jan/early Feb, maybe I just never noticed how high the mid-Feb/mid-March fares are.

All that said, there are cheaper fares going through Phoenix, LAX, etc., but no lie-flats or new AA Premium Economy on the old 757s.

2. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    I noticed the same thing for Maui. The flights we usually take were about $1200 per person. About $1400 tops in the past usually took us both there and back. Then the rental cars were like 30% higher. For us, I would want to stay for at least three weeks to justify the flight cost. Maybe four weeks. :D

Bill

slip and happymum like this.
  3. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina (x3)
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Starting to sound the same rationale I've tried to use to go to Australia/New Zealand for six weeks. ;-)

ljmiii and VacationForever like this.
  4. Ralph Sir Edward

Ralph Sir Edward TUG Member

I've found 3-4 week is ideal for Hawaii. Time to recover from the flight, time to unwind, time to do things. More than 4 weeks and you get bored.

(Only my job limits me to 2 weeks "over the target" currently. . . )

5. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Hawaii
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head
    Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
    HGVC at Sea World
    Oddly we’re seeing some of the best fares to Maui and HNL from Charlotte that we’ve seen in a long time. About $800 RT in coach with a change of plane in either DFW or PHX. Hope they hang on for another week so we can book our full 3 week trip.

slip likes this.
  6. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Come on Southwest!

7. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina (x3)
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Looks like AA fares settled in a bit, still high, but adjusting for HNL + Hawaiian inter-island, it's not good, but bearable for not having to do the inter-island hop.

SAT-DFW-OGG - 777 (24 Feb - 9 Mar)

FC - Flatbed went from around $2000 in Jan/early Feb to $2300 mid-Feb
    Premium Economy - New AA product is around $1500, which is what I paid for flatbed FC DFW-HNL last January 27th.
    Economy - $804 I don't fit. ;-)

8. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Southwest is not an airline I could fly from Denver to Maui. I cannot stand coach that long. I would need a day at the spa after a long flight in economy. Maybe Rick I could buy a third seat and leave it empty, I don't know what we would do on SW.

I am spoiled on first class and never fly to Maui or Kauai in coach anymore. It's about the comfort of the seats for me. It's not about the food and service. The food is really awful, and I can buy a big bottle of diet coke at one of the airport stores to take on the plane with me. I don't drink alcohol because our son is a recovering alcoholic, and I support him in that way.

9. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    I totally understand your point here, but if we get to do Hawaii the airfare is going to have to come down for us to make it economically feasible. I suspect we will not get to Hawaii before we retire though so perhaps we can travel during a part of the year with lower airfares.....

10. littlestar

littlestar TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Disney, Marriott, FWM & Wyndham pts
    Our group grabbed some flights out of Chicago to HNL for December a few weeks ago for $368 round trip. This was on Delta. Never seen a flight to Hawaii that cheap before.

slip and mauitraveler like this.
  11. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina (x3)
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Just to provide a final data point on this...

SAT-DFW-OGG - 777 (24 Feb - 9 Mar)(Sun-Sat)

Original Post...
    "FC - Flatbed went from around $2000 in Jan/early Feb to $2300 mid-Feb
    Premium Economy - New AA product is around $1500, which is what I paid for flatbed FC DFW-HNL last January 27th.
    Economy - $804 I don't fit. ;-)"

The above PE fare was put on hold on 12 April, expiring midnight 13 April, at $1500 RT.
    I did a price check tonight and found that PE had dropped to $1250 on AA.com, but wasn't showing up on Google Flights.

So, current pricing for SAT-DFW-OGG - 777 (24 Feb - 9 Mar) seems to be going back to what I expected to see:

FC - $2150 (60-61" pitch)
    PE - $1250 (38" pitch) (This new AA product for long haul flights on 777 looks appealing, but doesn't have the meal and amenities that PE international does.)
    Main Cabin Extra - $1000 (32-33" pitch)
    Economy - $800 (31-31" pitch)

YMMV... ;-)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  12. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    Understand, but with the addition of Southwest in the mix, the extra competition will have a downward influence on fares on ALL carriers. So even though you would never use them, you may very well reap some benefits.

Kurt

13. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    But buying the extra seat won't work. If you recall, there was a family coming back from Hawaii that tried to put someone in a seat that their other kid was ticketed in but flew earlier, and there was a big brawl over it.

You cannot buy a seat for a fake person, and if a real person doesn't show up, seat is fair (fare?) game for the airline to use.

14. TheHolleys87

TheHolleys87 TUG Member

Apologies for asking a question only indirectly related to this thread, but I know y’all can answer it!

DS and family, 5 people, will fly from Houston to spend a week in Kona over New Year’s 2019-2020. How far in advance will we likely find the best airfare?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina (x3)
    Vail Streamside Birch
    We fly out of San Antonio to Maui annually and haven't seen a lot of fare variation on a given airline...other than it going up each year.

Generally $800 RT in coach with FC going from $1800 to $3600 depending on which airline, route, etc. We use to fly SAT-IAH-HNL on United direct but they deleted the one flight we could make. Lately for us United has consistently been more than Delta or AA.

I'd plug into Google.com/flights and look at history. Generally Feb/Mar and Jun-Aug will be higher overall, but the general fares don't seem to vary that much.

Now all that said, I was shopping for Feb 2019 at 330 days. The AA computer was a bit schizo, but once it settled down within a few days coach stabilized around $800, Premium Economy at $1225(which United doesn't offer) and FC varied from $1800 to $3K.

I just priced a September AA flight to Kona for my niece and it was $750 SAT-LAX-KOA.

For New Years, I'd either be tracking closely and ready to pull the trigger, particular once you see what the seat availability is for your preferred flight or book now if in the ranges above. That's got to be a high capacity flight period.