• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii - Tsunami Aftermath - merged

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
here is what a friend living on the Big Island sent me. He works at the Four Seasons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Wh0_yNJhc&feature=email

and his comments:
Lots of damage in Kona as you can see from this YouTube. The resort beside where I work which is also owned by Dell is about 50% destroyed. Will probably not reopen for a year, will probably have to bulldoze the whole place. Our resort has lots of damage to the restaurants on the water. Some waterfront rooms in pretty bad shape. They are trying to get the guests out then will shut down for a week to try to clean up and make repairs.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I had seen the uTube video. Hadn't heard about the damage to the Four Seasons. That is where we had my dd's 21st birthday dinner a couple of years ago. So sad.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Condo Status after Tsunami

Alii Kai at Priceville--no damage

NaPali Kauai at Princeville--no damage

Maui Schooner at Kihei--no damage

Point at Poipu at Koloa--no damage

Still haven't heard from my Ohana from Hanalei--worried.

Sterling

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope they're ok.

I checked this afternoon on our resorts over there, and there was no damage to either, which we're thankful for, and more important, the workers and their families at both were all ok.

Of course this all pales compared to what happened in Japan. It just shows one how closely tied we all are on this earth.

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I love Kona and the BI, second to Kauai in my book. I'm hoping they have the resources to recover soon. Thanks for sharing that link.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii - Tsunami Threads - merged

Nothing like an exciting vacation! :eek: We are at the Point at Po’ipu which is in the Tsunami Inundation Zone. When the Tsunami Warning was issued we had to evacuate; no choice We had plenty of time: the warning was issued about 9:30 and the Tsunami wasn't due at 3AM. We threw some things together (pillows, blankets, valuables, etc) and moved to the Kaua’i Christian Fellowship Church on the Koloa Bypass Road.

Other evac sites options were the Community College and the Ball Fields in Koloa Town.

The church's hospitality was great. They provided coffee, water, pop, cookies, and (most important) bathrooms:D . They showed movies on the big screens in the sanctuary and eventually the live news feed so we could see what was going on. Many people slept on the chairs in the sanctuary and others in their cars. They opened up their wireless so we had on-line access. I stayed up all night just to stay on top of the action. Nancy slept in the car.

The church had some fouton-like pads and those were given to the folks with smaller children and they went off to a more quiet part of the church. The kids fared well!

In the morning they served pancakes, sausages, and beverages. Not too shabby! We got the all clear about 7:30AM.:clap:

On Kaua’i the tsunami was almost a non-event. There was maybe a 3’ swell over the docks, but that was about it. As has been posted, the bigger swells were on Maui and the Big Island. One of the frustrations was because there is no TV station on Kaua’i all of the news feed was from Honolulu and that was their focus. There was precious little on what was going on with the other islands, including Kaua'i. An occasional call in, but no real live video. Also the church had satellite TV and the signal was constantly freezing up and that didn’t help.:annoyed:

The following day at the Point was laid back, to say the least. No one was going anywhere because they wanted no one on the beaches, let alone in the water. You couldn’t find a lounge by the Adult Spa or the pool. It was recovery day.:zzz:

Slept real well last night.:)

Needless to say, when we get back we will be sending the church a big "Thank You!" and a check to help with their youth minstries.

Nothing like the spirit of Aloha and Ohana!

Cheers,

Paul

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, Paul.

That's a church that we occasionally visit when we are staying at Po'ipu. One of our boys did a Habitat for Humanity project with that congregation when they were just getting started, and were located in Kalaheo.

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
Kaua’i Christian Fellowship Church

We attend their Sunday service when we're there on vacation. We usually spend the rest of the day at Po'ipu beach.

Not surprised by the open, friendly, accommodating reception during the evacuation. They seem to be that kind of organization.

...Mark

Nothing like an exciting vacation! :eek: We are at the Point at Po’ipu which is in the Tsunami Inundation Zone. When the Tsunami Warning was issued we had to evacuate; no choice We had plenty of time: the warning was issued about 9:30 and the Tsunami wasn't due at 3AM. We threw some things together (pillows, blankets, valuables, etc) and moved to the Kaua’i Christian Fellowship Church on the Koloa Bypass Road.

Other evac sites options were the Community College and the Ball Fields in Koloa Town.

Paul

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the status of Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort and Sea Mountain with VI on the Big Island?

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try calling the resorts front desk--that is what I did with the resorts we own. Lines weren' tied up with emergency traffic when I called.

Sterling

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
We attend their Sunday service when we're there on vacation. We usually spend the rest of the day at Po'ipu beach.

Not surprised by the open, friendly, accommodating reception during the evacuation. They seem to be that kind of organization.

...Mark

I do too! Great group of people.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Anyone know the status of Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort and Sea Mountain with VI on the Big Island?

Sea Mountain is pretty far up the hill from the water. I'd be surprised if anything happened there.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know it may after-the-fact, but I called Kauai Beach Villas today and asked if they had any damage from the tsunami. The office staff I spoke to (Brendan) said they'd had no damage, and everything was just fine.

Dave

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha Dave,
Thanks for calling & posting. I sent a message to their website suggesting they post something about the condition of KBV.
I'll be pleasantly surprised it they do.
Jack

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I know it may after-the-fact, but I called Kauai Beach Villas today and asked if they had any damage from the tsunami. The office staff I spoke to (Brendan) said they'd had no damage, and everything was just fine.

Dave

Dave - did they say how high up the water came in front of the ocean front units?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave - did they say how high up the water came in front of the ocean front units?

Actually, I didn't think to ask. :doh: But no, he didn't say anything.

Dave

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
We drove by the Wyndham in Kailua-Kona today (3/12) and saw no evidence of damage.

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw the article today on the CBS News website today about the Four Seasons Hualalai hotel and Kona Village Resort on the Big Island temporarily closing due to water damage from the tsunamis. The Four Seasons will supposedly be closed about a week. No estimate was given for the Kona Village to reopen.

Jim Bryan

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Radiation

Any thoughts in the radiation exposure danger in Hawaii if things get worse in Japan?

PClapham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
How about the Kona Coast?

Does anyone know if this property was damaged?

Thanks
Anita

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Kona Coast from March 19-26th. No damage at all from the tsunami. It's a beautiful resort and we enjoyed our stay very much.