• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii suggestions

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
we own at HICV and are looking to go to Hawaii
We are members of RCi and II as well as Registry

It would most likely be just my wife and I and our 16 YO son

Probably looking at staying two weeks and we could split the resorts up between islands

We are somewhat open to dates
Our son will be in his 2nd year of college and the school is pretty strict on missed days. So breaks and summer would be better
Looking at 2020

Prefer that 5* type resort

Any suggestions as to what would trade with our ownership And best places to look in to?

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with HICV, but I would think you could pull most WorldMark and Wyndham locations, and many of them are top notch in Hawaii. I suggest you read the Wyndham/WorldMark bbs for more information, particularly the stickies. I'm not sure they would be considered 5* resorts, but HICV is not considered 5*, either, so you have to keep that in mind.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Agreed - I don't think you have the juice for 5* with HICV.

Every Hawaiian Islands is quite different from the other - I'd start out by narrowing it down to the Island first.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I’m not tracing week for week though. Trading points as I have a bank load of them

So I should be able to upgrade

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't know anything about using points in II.

The most upscale Hawaii timeshares in RCI are Hyatt, Hilton and Disney. There several Hilton Resorts, but the Disney Resort (Oahu) and Hyatt resort (Maui) will be hard to get during school holidays. Most of the Hiltons are on the Big Island - Waikoloa Village, and Hilton Hawaiian Village - Oahu.

Best strategy: Put in an early ongoing search for Hyatt, Hilton, and Disney during the weeks you can go, and see what you get. Searching online will not work for these high demand properties during high season when school is out - you need an ongoing search. Your best bet is to request the whole summer.

*I would also put in an OGS with the Registry Collection.

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you set up an ongoing search through RCI, you'd have the most luck with Hiltons (HGVC) on the Big Island. HGVC Kings' Land #7978 is my favorite.
The HGVC on Oahu have much more demand, and the bulk deposit of 2020 weeks occurred in May. It will be difficult to get an HGVC for summer 2020 on Oahu.

If you can handle a 1br on Maui, set up search now for Ka'anapali Beach Club #4985.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I would say most Worldmarks in Hawaii 2+ to 3. They have none on Oahu. The best is Kihei on Maui. Kapa'a Shores on Kauai is mainly 1 bedrooms. It is right on the water but not a swimming beach - all rocks. The only 2 bedrooms are on the 3rd floor, no elevators and no AC. The 2nd bedroom is an open Loft. Kona on the BI has no ocean views, wrong side if the road. It is plain Jane. But you will probably not spend a lot of time at the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The OP said the are looking for 5* - the World Marks won't fit the bill. With a 16 year old I highly recommend a 2 bdm.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you set up an ongoing search through RCI, you'd have the most luck with Hiltons (HGVC) on the Big Island. HGVC Kings' Land is my favorite.
Currently in RCI there is availability at the Bay Club for July 2020 (and probably also August). There is availability at Kohala Suite end of August 2020 and for Kingsland early September 2020.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Bay Club and Kohala Suites are equally nice (they are basically 2 halves of the same resort) but Kohala Suites will give you access to the huge and fancy Hilton Hotel, their huge saltwater lagoon, and numerous other amenities, which I think your son would enjoy. Also, free hotel parking.

Waikoloa Village is basically a big luxury resort with multiple properties built around the Hilton Hotel, but you either have to stay at the hotel, or their 2 affiliated Waikoloa resorts (Kohala Suites or Kings' Land) or pay big bucks, to use the hotel amenities.

However, none of the Waikoloa properties are ocean front, although there are beaches very close. The Hilton Hotel has a beach on their saltwater lagoon.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
The OP said the are looking for 5* - the World Marks won't fit the bill. With a 16 year old I highly recommend a 2 bdm.

Doesn’t have to absolutely be a 5*

But, it’s been since just after 9/11 that we were there so we want to find the best resort we can and make a two week stay out of it and see a few things

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Waikoloa Lagoon:

Our favorite beach (next exit off the highway north of Waikoloa): Mauna Lani Beach Club:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Our favorite beaches just north of the Waikoloa resort area are Hapuna Beach and the beach at the Mauna Kea resort.

Hapuna Beach

o.jpg

Mauna Kea

mauna_kea_beach-800x436.jpg

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The Worldmarks in Hawaii are not ocean front and most are not even ocean view. The Worldmark in KaPa'a and LaHaina are the only WM's with ocean front and ocean view but they share inventory with VI and a hoa so it would be hard to grab those.

I do like the Kihei WM. I like the WM Valley Isle better. West Maui is my favorite of Hawaii. Kona on the ocean is second.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The Worldmarks in Hawaii are not ocean front and most are not even ocean view. The Worldmark in KaPa'a and LaHaina are the only WM's with ocean front and ocean view but they share inventory with VI and a hoa so it would be hard to grab those.

I do like the Kihei WM. I like the WM Valley Isle better. West Maui is my favorite of Hawaii. Kona on the ocean is second.

Bill
Kona on the ocean? Not Worldmark. That is across the street. Or were you just saying that the location of Kona on the ocean in general is your second favorite.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!

Wanted to book two weeks back to back. But with our son in college. Sorta not going to happen

We did book thanksgiving week 11/21-28 at the Kohala Suites
Going a day early and leaving a day late to cover our flight time

Looking forward to seeing the sites!!

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
One other ??

As mentioned. We booked Kohala Suites and I noticed that Kings Land also has the same dates available

After reading more reviews it seems some like Kong’s Land better for the pools etc. but those may be people with smaller children that can utilize that

Is one resort better than the other or should we just keep the one we booked?

Thanks for any additional suggestions

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I don't know anything about using points in II.

The most upscale Hawaii timeshares in RCI are Hyatt, Hilton and Disney. There several Hilton Resorts, but the Disney Resort (Oahu) and Hyatt resort (Maui) will be hard to get during school holidays. Most of the Hiltons are on the Big Island - Waikoloa Village, and Hilton Hawaiian Village - Oahu.

Best strategy: Put in an early ongoing search for Hyatt, Hilton, and Disney during the weeks you can go, and see what you get. Searching online will not work for these high demand properties during high season when school is out - you need an ongoing search. Your best bet is to request the whole summer.

*I would also put in an OGS with the Registry Collection.

Hyatt is in RCI? Did I miss the memo?