• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Lodging Tax

CiCi

Reaction score
In looking at my upcoming reservations in Hawaii, there is a “Resort Update” at the top of the screen informing me, “The state of Hawaii assesses a lodging tax to guests staying at these resorts. A deposit of $250 for incidentals is required at check in.”

Does anyone know anything more about these taxes? Are they $250 or will I get some of that back?

I really don’t want to pay $750 for the three reservations I have and am a bit upset that I wasn’t notified when I booked the reservations.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CiCi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is nowhere near this much. It was maybe $10 or so? I guess they are keeping a deposit against this, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than the single $250. And it may only be a Hold and not even a real charge.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
In looking at my upcoming reservations in Hawaii, there is a “Resort Update” at the top of the screen informing me, “The state of Hawaii assesses a lodging tax to guests staying at these resorts. A deposit of $250 for incidentals is required at check in.”

Does anyone know anything more about these taxes? Are they $250 or will I get some of that back?

I really don’t want to pay $750 for the three reservations I have and am a bit upset that I wasn’t notified when I booked the reservations.

Thanks,
CiCi

They will run a deposit of $250 for each room. The deposit is a common thing at my timeshare stays and regular hotel stays. I have had a hold be put on my credit card at every hgvc resort at check in. The amount varies though. Usually in the $150 to $300 range. You can have the person in the room leave their credit card instead of leaving your card.

The transient accommodations tax is collected by hilton to be paid to state of hawaii. It varies but it is under $20 a night per room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
GE tax is 4.7 percent and TAT is about another 10 percent. So your tax to the state is around 15 percent of the room cost. Other cities are charging close to 20 percent. But it sounds like you are being charged a resort fee like they do in Vegas and a bunch of other places. You need to call the resort and ask them about that. If it is a resort fee, don’t expect to get any of that back.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
There is no ge tax of 4.712% on oahu or 4.167% on neighbor islandsfor timeshare stays. Just the tat for your stay which is based on the maintenance fee paid yearly. Well they do charge the GE tax on the tat part.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

CiCi

Reaction score
GE tax is 4.7 percent and TAT is about another 10 percent. So your tax to the state is around 15 percent of the room cost. Other cities are charging close to 20 percent. But it sounds like you are being charged a resort fee like they do in Vegas and a bunch of other places. You need to call the resort and ask them about that. If it is a resort fee, don’t expect to get any of that back.

Thank you. It is not a resort fee; I saw that fee when I booked the reservation. The issue I have is that I am just now being told about this fee and $750 was not put in the vacation budget for this expense.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
But it sounds like you are being charged a resort fee like they do in Vegas and a bunch of other places. You need to call the resort and ask them about that. If it is a resort fee, don’t expect to get any of that back.

I wasn't aware that any of the HGVC properties charged the resort fee for points stays. I know that, for example, Bay Club and Seaworld have resort fees for cash stays, but these are not charged for points stays. I had assumed that the others were the same.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did not know bay club and seaworld charged resort fees. I take it the fees are charged for rooms booked not using hgvc points?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Did not know bay club and seaworld charged resort fees.

The same note is also on The Bay Club resort page. I agree with your interpretation previously posted. To me, the note is very clear that a deposit of $250 for incidentals is required at check in. Every HGVC stay that I have had has put a deposit of some amount usually $100 or so on a charge card. I know that FA-Los Cabos puts somewhere between $1000-$1500 per room. But of course, the easiest thing to do is call the resort and ask about the $250 charge to the credit card. You can also find out about the amount of the TAT.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Isn't the $250 just a credit card hold that will be released if you don't have room charges? This is pretty common.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I was just at Kings Land, the $250 is to cover room charges during the stay. They also add the TAT up front, so the Pending charge was about $330. The final charge that get posted is just the TAT if you don’t charge anything to room during the stay.

The Resort charge is for RCI reservations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

Thanks,
CiCi

The $250 is a deposit which most resorts charge a deposit charged to your credit card. If you don't do any room charges or have any damage claims, liking smoking in the room, the $250 is return.

The Hawaii State Lodging Tax must be paid. It depends on the size of the accommodations that you are staying in. It was just raised again this year. Last time I checked it ranges from about $4.00 a night for a Studio to about $12.00/night for a 3 BR. So that is the range of the amount that you will be charged at check-out.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did not know bay club and seaworld charged resort fees. I take it the fees are charged for rooms booked not using hgvc points?

Yup.

The Resort charge is for RCI reservations.

It's also for cash stays booked on the Hilton site (maybe this will no longer be possible with the spin off? But this was the case when I looked at one point maybe a year or so ago.

Just checked: I still see it for Kohala Suites, as an example. KL may have it as well. Bay Club not showing up in the search at all.

Cheers.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
This last January I paid less then $10/night in tax at Bay club for 1 bedroom. Paid just over $10/night in 2 bedroom at kohala suites

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We are in a 1BR unit at Ka'anapali Beach Club now. We are paying $151.62 in taxes for our 14-night stay...$10.83 per night.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We are in a 1BR unit at Ka'anapali Beach Club now. We are paying $151.62 in taxes for our 14-night stay...$10.83 per night.

Do you own there? We are using RCI points to go there next year for two weeks and in addition to the 151.62 in taxes we will have to pay $350 in resorts fees ($25/night). That is $250/week more than using your points to stay at an RCI timeshare that does not have extra fees and taxes.

Hawaii's tax is just the way they like to raise money on tourists versus to raise the property tax which is about 1/10 of mine on Long Island. The Voters in Hawaii love it. The resort fee is a way for resorts to raise money to fund "amenities" without raising the maintenance for owners. The Owners love it.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
RCI ( just recently changed) and direct booking via hilton.com (has been for a while now) you are paying a per day resort fee. If you book that same resort using HGVC points you DO NOT pay the resort fee.

You will be required to pay a TOT (or TAT) or whatever the letters are, that is an occupancy tax, based on MFs and is on a per night basis. So studio are cheaper, 3 BR more, but between $20 to $50+ per 7 night stays.

All of the resorts take a CC hold for incidentals, but this is not a charge just a hold. It is the same that happens at most hotels you stay at.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not "own" in Hawaii, so I understand if I trade in, I am on the hook for the additional tax. I might not like it, but I understand. HOWEVER, IF I owned there, I would be pissed if I had to pay that tax.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I do not "own" in Hawaii, so I understand if I trade in, I am on the hook for the additional tax. I might not like it, but I understand. HOWEVER, IF I owned there, I would be pissed if I had to pay that tax.
Are you talking about the TAT or the resort fee? Even owners have to pay the TAT, at least we do at the resort where we own.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the TAT or the resort fee? Even owners have to pay the TAT, at least we do at the resort where we own.

The TAT. IF I owned there, I would be very unhappy with the state of Hawaii putting that tax on my owned unit.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taxation with out representation? I think this was one of the causes of a little war back in 1776. UNLESS, did the timeshare owners have a vote and agree to pay this tax?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Taxation with out representation? I think this was one of the causes of a little war back in 1776. UNLESS, did the timeshare owners have a vote and agree to pay this tax?

oh come on you cant be serious, there are all kinds of taxes we dont vote on, every time you visit another state. I just went to Denver for the weekend and paid airport taxes on my ticket and rental car and taxes on the hotel stay. I paid sales tax on stuff I purchased there. Be glad you can afford to travel and pay the tax, 1776 is long gone.

Last edited:

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
oh come on you cant be serious, there are all kinds of taxes we dont vote on, every time you visit another state. I just went to Denver for the weekend and paid airport taxes on my ticket and rental car and taxes on the hotel stay. I paid sales tax on stuff I purchased there. Be glad you can afford to travel and pay the tax, 1776 is long gone.

You don't OWN there. There is a difference between visiting and owning.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You don't OWN there. There is a difference between visiting and owning.
Do you own there? If it bothers you that much then don't go.