• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii from Europe

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
What are the best months to visit Hawaii for weather to be good but not crazy hot, also not hurricane season. Those that visit from Europe how do you travel there, vía where?

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I don't think it is ever (typically) crazy hot. I'm not a Hawaii expert, but we were there in July 2011 and have a trip planned for August 2019. I sporadically check daily temps there. It seems as though the temperature is 75-82 degrees like 365 days a year. Can't wait to go back.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Such a long journey from Spain where would be good to go on the west coast for a week and then maybe do an internal flight to Hawaii?

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Hurricane season in Hawaii is September (+/-). Whale season is December - March, which is prime time (along with summer). Low season is late April - mid-June and then September - mid-December (except Thanksgiving week). It is a bit warmer in the summer than the winter, but not by much.

The problem is the twelve hour time difference.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Newport Coast Villas would be a great spot to spend a week before venturing on to Hawaii. It’s close enough to LAX (an hour away).

Personally, I would rather just do the entire trip and then have the extra time in Hawaii (but I’m a Hawaiiphile).

I agree with others that the difference in seasons is modest, with the most notable difference being the wettest season in Kauai (Oct-April?). But we’ve had great luck with weather and not lost much time to rain during our trips.

Best,

Greg

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I agree Newport Coast is nice but I would also consider Palm Desert unless you choose a trip in the summer months.

We’ve always done Hawaii in March. The weather has always been nice, but it’s drier then and the waterfalls are as “full”if you will. In Feb. and March it’s still whale watching season. We’re going the end of Feb. into the first week of March next year.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since the OP's home is Spain, I think Jan/Feb would be the best months for Hawaii- It's whale season, the weather is perfect (same as always in Hawaii) and that's something she won't find in Europe. As to am intermediate stop, really, just about anywhere on the West coast would work, and major cities (L.A. San Fran, Las Vegas, Seattle) would have direct flights from Europe- and on to Hawaii. The decision might hinge on what 'new experience they want in Western U.S.

Jim

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Newport Coast Villas would be a great spot to spend a week before venturing on to Hawaii. It’s close enough to LAX (an hour away).

Personally, I would rather just do the entire trip and then have the extra time in Hawaii (but I’m a Hawaiiphile).

I agree with others that the difference in seasons is modest, with the most notable difference being the wettest season in Kauai (Oct-April?). But we’ve had great luck with weather and not lost much time to rain during our trips.

Best,

Greg

That’s great thanks!

Reason I think a stopover is from where we are we have to fly fro Alicante to Madrid then Madrid to west coast and connect to Hawaii, so minimum of 2 stopovers and something I would like to do with my children which if I do in 2020 then they would be 10, 10 & 6. So feel like it’s a lot of traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Since the OP's home is Spain, I think Jan/Feb would be the best months for Hawaii- It's whale season, the weather is perfect (same as always in Hawaii) and that's something she won't find in Europe. As to am intermediate stop, really, just about anywhere on the West coast would work, and major cities (L.A. San Fran, Las Vegas, Seattle) would have direct flights from Europe- and on to Hawaii. The decision might hinge on what 'new experience they want in Western U.S.

Jim

Just keep in mind that Feb. in Hawaii is the most difficult month to book. January is pretty easy as are most weeks in March.
Las Vegas in Jan/Feb would be a very easy exchange or points reservation, although Vegas can be a little chilly in those months.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have been there all Seasons of the year and had good weather. The big issue is if the Trade Winds stop. Then it can become unbearable. Also even when the hurricanes miss (hurricane season is June-November) by 100 to 200 hundred miles ( as happened to us this last August) it disrupts your weather and the local ocean.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s great thanks!

Reason I think a stopover is from where we are we have to fly fro Alicante to Madrid then Madrid to west coast and connect to Hawaii, so minimum of 2 stopovers and something I would like to do with my children which if I do in 2020 then they would be 10, 10 & 6. So feel like it’s a lot of traveling.

We have been to Hawaii twice from London the last time in January last year, both times without children.

It is a long long way and what with the time difference, length of flight (LA to Hawaii on it's own is 6 hours) especially with children it is not all that pleasant and I don't think we will go again and to be honest in my opinion there are other resorts to consider and not sure there is a huge amount for children to do unless of course they love the sea.

We stayed over night in LA last year, but by the time we checked into an airport hotel and then got up early the next morning for the flight to Hawaii we were quite tired for about 2 days, so a lot will depend on how long you plan to stay - a minimum of 2 weeks I would suggest. The flights back are not great either but at least you can get a flight from LA to London on the same day as you arrive in LA from Hawaii although you will find you arrive early morning at LA (Overnight flight from Hawaii) and the flight from LA to London is again over night, however you have a whole day to occupy your time - we tried to see some of the LA sights, but were so tired we checked into a Marriott just for the day to get 6 hours sleep and then off to the airport.

However we've ticked the box - by the way it is quote expensive there so you need to be mindful of that.

Hope this helps

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I think it is misleading to refer to a "hurricane season" in Hawaii. It is true that Pacific hurricanes will almost always occur in the summer, but wasn't Iniki in 1992 the last major one to hit Hawaii? And the near misses are seldom strong hurricanes by the time they get close to Hawaii. This is nothing like Florida and the Caribbean, where many people would think twice about scheduling a major vacation for September.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think it is misleading to refer to a "hurricane season" in Hawaii. It is true that Pacific hurricanes will almost always occur in the summer, but wasn't Iniki in 1992 the last major one to hit Hawaii? And the near misses are seldom strong hurricanes by the time they get close to Hawaii. This is nothing like Florida and the Caribbean, where many people would think twice about scheduling a major vacation for September.

I was thinking the same thing. There have seemed to be more near misses in recent years, but I think those almost always happen in August or September. So if you wanted to avoid even the small risk of a hurricane in Hawaii, just avoid those two months. Even though it is still technically Pacific hurricane season in June and July, there is little probability of a storm then. Even in the Caribbean and Atlantic, storms are not that frequent in June and early July (although they are more likely than in Hawaii). Mid-Oct through November, while still technically hurricane season, would be similarly low risk months in Hawaii.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
We've considered Hawaii before but after taking into account the flights, the distance and the timezones we decided that there isn't anything significant enough that draws us to Hawaii that makes such issues more bearable.

I'd be minded to go somewhere in the Caribbean or the Far East instead.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help OP but...

Winter is a wonderful time to visit Hawaii - particularly if you get to leave nasty weather at home. Maui (specifically MOC) is hard to book in Jan-Mar because of whale season but we've successfully vacationed in Feb in Kauai (Waiohai) and Oahu (Hilton Hawaiian Village) for over a decade.

As for alternatives, French Polynesia is the only place I've been that compares favorably to Hawaii. And unless you're just looking for an isolated stay in a hotel on a beach the Caribbean doesn't hold a candle to Hawaii. That said, I've never been to Phuket...but certainly have heard nice things.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza

Winter is a wonderful time to visit Hawaii - particularly if you get to leave nasty weather at home. Maui (specifically MOC) is hard to book in Jan-Mar because of whale season but we've successfully vacationed in Feb in Kauai (Waiohai) and Oahu (Hilton Hawaiian Village) for over a decade.

As for alternatives, French Polynesia is the only place I've been that compares favorably to Hawaii. And unless you're just looking for an isolated stay in a hotel on a beach the Caribbean doesn't hold a candle to Hawaii. That said, I've never been to Phuket...but certainly have heard nice things.

We live in Spain on the Costa Blanca right on the coast, so we are blessed for this. Maybe it’s something I need to wait and consider when the children are older.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends what your family is interested in, but a San Diego stopover might be nice. We live in Western Canada and are stopping in San Diego on our next Hawaii trip, just for fun.

Seaworld, Zoo/Safari Park, museums, restaurants, Legoland, etc. Lots of stuff for kids. Probably doesn't make sense to do the beach there on your way to Hawaii from Spain...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

French Polynesia is my favorite place in the world and beats Hawaii by a long shot. We have been to French Poly twice and will go for a third time next year. It is absolutely gorgeous. While Hawaii is beautiful, it seems less Polynesian and more Amercan and commercial to me. In French Poly, we’ve done small cruises, overwater bungalows and beach bungalows. Next trip, we are doing overwater bungalows and a sailing catamaran trip. This trip will be 16 nights not including travel time. Prior trips were 8 nights and 13 nights plus travel time. I think you need at least 2 weeks to enjoy it. In terms of cost, it is expensive but it is the same or cheaper than Hawaii but there are no timeshares.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have been to Hawaii at least 8 times and to all the major islands. My favorite time to go is from June through October. I like when the water is warm and calm. I am very concerned about hurricanes but as others have said, hurricanes are not as frequent in the Pacific like they are in the Caribbean. It is not something I even think about when scheduling a trip to Hawaii but maybe I should since I love traveling there in the Fall. We just got back from Ko Olina and it was wonderful. We saw hundreds of dolphins and went places they can’t get to in the rough waters in the winter. In Kauai, you can’t tour the Napali Coast in the winter because it is too rough. Given that I like warm, calm water, I would stick to May through October for Hawaii. Prices are lowest in shoulder seasons. Summers are very busy and expensive with families and winters are very busy and expensive with snow birds.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
French Polynesia is my favorite place in the world and beats Hawaii by a long shot. We have been to French Poly twice and will go for a third time next year. It is absolutely gorgeous. While Hawaii is beautiful, it seems less Polynesian and more Amercian and commercial to me. In French Poly, we’ve done small cruises, overwater bungalows and beach bungalows. Next trip, we are doing beach bungalows and a sailing catamaran trip. This trip will be 16 nights not including travel time. Prior trips were 8 nights and 13 nights plus travel time. I think you need at least 2 weeks to enjoy it. In terms of cost, it is expensive but it is the same or cheaper than Hawaii but there are no timeshares.

Loved to read this. We just booked a French Polynesian cruise for next June on the m/s Paul Gauguin and will be spending three nights post cruise in an overwater bungalow at the Hilton Resort Moorea. We love Hawaii (nine trips ourselves) and have heard French Polynesia described as "Hawaii Unplugged." Looking forward to experiencing it.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Loved to read this. We just booked a French Polynesian cruise for next June on the m/s Paul Gauguin and will be spending three nights post cruise in an overwater bungalow at the Hilton Resort Moorea. We love Hawaii (nine trips ourselves) and have heard French Polynesia described as "Hawaii Unplugged." Looking forward to experiencing it.
French Polynesia is without doubt the most spectacular place I have been to in the world (so far).
We had an absolutely superb stay and experience in Tahiti and Moorea.
I would just say that it was ridiculously expensive and it is an extremely long journey, from the UK anyway so we included it in a round the world trip.
That said, it was absolutely worth all the effort and cost.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are getting lucky. Starting this winter, United has its first nonstop flight from San Francisco to Tahiti from October through March. It is off season in Tahiti but we decided to go even though it will be rainy since it significantly eases the travel for us. It is an 8 hour nonstop red eye flight. We will still need to connect from Tahiti to Raiatea one way to go to Tahaa to our resort and then to our sailing catamaran but that is an “easy” trip to French Polynesia compared to our past two trips and to what most other people experience. The good news with off season is that our sailing catamaran trip is almost half price! The overwater bungalow prices are still high but about the same as fancy hotels in Maui.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Sounds amazing. I think I will be looking at the same, some places to have on my bucket list but for when doing a round the world trip!

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
We are frequent visitors in Hawaii during summer months. Hurricane season in Hawaii is from June - November. But Hawaii is a low risk zone. A hurricane might be hundreds of miles away but doesn't normally hit the islands and if it is in the zone, you'll just get rain. Last 2 years we've gone in June but previous to that, we've always gone July - August for a few years and never had a problem with hurricane. I think best months to go to Hawaii, airfare is cheaper and not too busy is end of April - May. Or maybe even October - November. If I didn't have kids that are in school, I'd go those months.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I would have to say our favorite time to go to Hawaii is Early to mid-May. Great weather, the ocean is calmer and the crowds are lower. We did change that up for 2019. We are going the middle of June to the end of June.

For May we always went for my wife’s birthday which is right by Mother’s Day. For 2019, we are going during my birthday which is always right by Father’s Day.

Last edited: