TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Hawaii Aulani advice

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by Stevo58, Oct 7, 2016.

1. icydog

icydog TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Maybe this changed after my scathing TripAdvisor Review. Disney actually gave me my $35, a day, back.They wouldn't allow valet parking gratis for handicapped guests, even in wheelchairs, like me. I am glad this has changed. I wrote Aulani off as soon as I returned home because of this policy.

2. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

What is bad about Atlantis coming to Ko Olina. To me, this sounds like a positive. Atlantis will be the most expensive resort ever built in the world. I read that it will be amazing. I have read the development plans will help transform Ko Olina into a world class vacation destination. Some are calling it the “Palm Springs of Hawaii.” Now that may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I can say that Maui is so over run with tourists and the resorts are so old in the Kaanapali area, that we are not interested in that area.

I did not think I would like Ko Olina but I fell in love with the area so we just bought a Marriott Ko Olina EOY 2 bedroom ocean view and Disney Aulina 200 points so we can vacation EOY at Marriott/Aulani in Ko Olina combined. To rent these rooms on the open market would be about $1100-$1500 per day on average. It is much more cost effective to be a timeshare owner and purchase on the resale market. We picked up the Aulani points for less than half what Disney is charging and we got the Marriott very inexpensively. The breakeven on the upfront costs is 5-6 days on the Marriott (less than one week so we will break even in our first stay) and about about 10 days in a one bedroom on the Disney Aulani.

3. icydog

Ah, my dear Russell, you forgot one important thing. The maintenance fees are high for both resorts. The maintenance fees for Ko Olina are ~ $1800 per year and the maintenance fees on 200 Aulani points for 2018 will be $1508. If you combine those Aulani points for two years to give you a week in Hawaii then you are paying $3016 per week.

4. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

Yes that is a bargain. A week in a 2 bedroom ocean view at Marriott Ko Olina with tax is $8300. Aulani is $1500+ per night for a one bedroom. As an owner, we can book the dates we want in high season and no need to trade. We get the views we want too. If you do not value views and room categories, your choice of booking dates and stuff like this, then being an owner would not make no sense.

5. icydog

As long as you’re happy then I’m happy. Congratulations.
    Marylyn

6. alwysonvac

alwysonvac TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark, Vistana, Disney, Hilton
    I didn't say Disney coming to KoOlina was a bad thing. :shrug:

7. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

Oh, okay. You meant maybe we might want to join Atlantis instead of Disney? I did not think of that. Good news is that Disney is easy to resell if we want and we bought it at a low price. From what I understand, Atlantis will be very expensive. I am hoping Atlantis will make Ko Olina more desirable and help increase the desirability of Marriott Ko Olina and Disney Aulina. Although maybe we are better off without them there because it will bring more people and traffic.

8. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Projected 2018 maintenance fee for marriott koolina 2br is a tad over $2200.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

TUG folks are extremely price sensitive, it seems. Some of us buy timeshares mostly for our enjoyment and non-monetary reasons.

10. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

One of the reasons to buy a timeshare is to save money. If pricing doesn't matter, it would be easier and lot less work to just book with marriott and disney for the same accommodations. You would not need to book 11 or 12 months in advance and compete with other timeshare owners for the same rooms.

In a prior post, you stated yourself that timesharing made it a bargain. So aren't you also price sensitive?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

11. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Owning timeshares carries risk and commitment. To buy one without the current and long term costs in mind would be foolish. Most people her on TUG have bought some type of retail product but usually it was before they knew better or it was a special situation like the hybrid point purchase. Timeshares, including Marriott and DVC, are high risk plays long term. But the best usage of a timeshare is normally in the personal usage. I would point out that the mentality of "I want the best and I'm going to go get it at almost any cost" is a very expensive one in timesharing, one almost certainly to guarantee both a large up front cost and a large ultimate loss of $$$. It's just like deciding you want THAT car and you set out to buy it, you will overpay in almost every case.

12. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

I like value for the money but I am not so price sensitive as to calculate every dollar or worry about a couple hundred dollars per year. I will pay a lot extra for luxury if the luxury is worth it. Unlike other Disney owners, we will only stay in 1 bedrooms and above rather than studios. All my timeshares are 4 and 5 star and I still rent hotels too when needed. For example, we have over 600,000 United miles not to mention hundreds of thousands of miles with other airlines, yet we save our miles to fly first class internationally and pay for domestic flights usually. So, yes we are price sensitive and we try to get as much value as we can out of our 4* and 5* vacations.

Even when paying for vacations outright, I still book 12+ months in advance. Hotel rooms still offer some degree of risk in that you never know for sure how good the room view will be until you arrive. However, the main reason we brought timeshares this year was because we like the bigger accommodations. We like 1 and 2 bedrooms and kitchens. It is very hard to book larger, high quality accommodations except through individual condo owners and I have not had good experience with that. I like consistent quality. I was super impressed when I discovered the timeshare world managed by high quality companies last summer and became hooked by the ease and flexibility of booking and the high quality of maintenance. We felt the price-value equation was there for the timeshares we purchased. They were not cheap, but they offered the level of quality we were seeking and double or triple the space of hotel rooms. Now I hate hotel rooms!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:06 AM
  13. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Value for the money is probably the main reason everyone buys into a timeshare. It was for me as it has allowed us to travel more and stay at some amazing places. Also timeshare owners are not looking for the cheapest accommodations. They have to purchase into the system and then pay the annual maintenance fee.

A couple hundred dollars multiplied by 50 weeks equals a sizable difference in costs. So I try to be a little more accurate in quoting maintenance fees.

Buying a timeshare does not guarantee you a better room view. You can get a lower floor, looking into loading dock, over the garage etc with a timeshare also. It has happened to me at Marriott koolina many times and I have gotten spectacular views also. Not every room view is going to be great. My experiences with room view placement has been better as a hotel guest.

Marriott, disney, Hilton, westin and other top hotel chains offer the bigger rooms like 1br and 2br suites. But booking through the major chains will be room rates in excess of $1500 a night. Glad I found timesharing as it has brought my nightly rate down to a tenth of what the major chains charge hotel guests for the same accommodations.

I concur with your statement about staying in hotel rooms. Timesharing has spoiled my family and I. We try to stay in our timeshares whenever possible but there are places where there are no timeshares around. When that happens, I tend to book residence inns mostly. Love having the extra space, kitchen and ability to have access to washer machines. It comes closest to the timeshare model. There have been some times when our only option is a hotel room but luckily it has been only for a night.

I wish it was easier and less planning to book a timeshare stay. Most people find it odd that I have to book my vacations a year out. With timeshares, there is no flexibility to cancel a stay in 48 hours without penalty.

Consistent quality and value pricing from major hotel timeshares is what got me sold on timesharing.

14. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

The difference is a few hundred dollars per year in maintenance fees with a timeshare. Compared to $1000 - $1500 per night at a similar hotel room in Hawaii or at Disney, a timeshare is a bargain.

If you buy a timeshare with a guaranteed ocean view, how would they put you in a room with absolutely no view? That would only happen, I assume, if you are exchanging, right?

I am a planner and usually plan 12-18 months in advance. I feel restricted by timeshares because they only let me plan 11 months in advance! And if you do not own at a home resort at Disney, you can only plan 7 months out. This is behind the eight ball for me. So timeshares do not limit me at all. LOL

15. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

I love Aulani! Maybe being a DVC owner will give us a good deal for day passes at Atlantis ?(lets pray!) lol

16. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

That would be cool. I will need to save some of my travel budget for Atlantis. If they are trying to sell timeshares at Atlantis, they will certainly target Disney Aulani timeshare owners. We would be their best target sales prospects!

17. Dean

Dean TUG Member

If you're using the cash price through Disney, that's not a valid comparison. The appropriate comparisons for a 1 BR are the Marriott and a private rental. That should put your price more in the $700-900 per night range depending on season. Realize that your idea of guaranteed view is not necessary the same as he resorts and you really don't have much of a case if they give you a room designated in that view. In general with timeshares view guarantees are minimal and more of a location than an actual view from the unit itself. Vegetation often takes the view as the resort ages, I'll use Marriott's Grande Ocean and DVC's VB resorts as good examples of that issue. If view from your unit is paramount, you need to buy a fixed week option that fits the bill.

18. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

We own a Marriott Ko Olina 2 bedroom lockoff ocean view, not a 1 bedroom. The rate on Expedia is $1100 plus tax per night in the summer. I am sure some owners will rent for less since their costs are only about $2000 per week, like us. The ocean views at Ko Olina are pretty good compared to the other Marriotts in Hawaii. That is why we bought there. We love Kauai but the Marriott we like there does not have good ocean views because it is set back so even having an ocean view designation would not have been very helpful, I have heard.

We also own at Aulani. The purpose of that is to add days when we stay at Marriott Ko Olina. I really do not care what the market rate is. We bought for enjoyment. It is nice to know that Expedia rents one bedrooms at Aulani for $1500 plus tax per night but I know that Tuggers can get rentals for much less than that without purchasing a DVC membership.

19. Dean

Dean TUG Member

That's the point, the expedia or direct through DVC rates are irrelevant in this situation and not an appropriate comparison for buying or judging savings of doing so.

20. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

Yes I agree. The Expedia rate is a psychological benefit to me because before I discovered the world of timeshares, I used to rent through Expedia. So it is a relevant comparison for me because if I did not own a timeshare, I would be booking hotel rooms at Expedia rates and I would think I was getting great deals. LOL Thank goodness I am buying timeshares now. Even if I am overpaying a little for my timeshares, I am saving a ton of money and staying in bigger, nice accommodations than ever before. And thanks to TUG, I am finally buying timeshares on the resale market, and not direct from the developers unless there is a good reason to do so.

21. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Difference of few hundred dollars times fifty weeks is ten thousand dollars or more.

An ocean view at Marriott could be on a low floor, one not looking directly at the ocean, obscured by trees (what once was a great view is now blocked) etc. You can book a week where a majority are owner stays, someone is going to get the short end of the stick. Although using your home week bad views are diminished but not eliminated. There are some ocean views at marriott koolina that are so. You can scan through previous posts on rooms owners were assigned at home resorts.

Just 5 days ago at grand California villas and I got a second floor 1br with no view. I am an owner there and booked the stay 11 months in advance. Three weeks ago we were at Marriott lakeshore reserve and got a fabulous 2br on top floor. I do not own there but it was an exchange through interval about 6 months ago.

This is your first year of ownership so are basing your experiences on a short time frame. Please come back here in 5 years or 10 and tell us how your room assignments have been. Most of us here are giving you our experiences based on hundreds of stays.

Glad you can project what you are definitely going to do 18 months in advance. For people like me, life happens and there are things out of my control.

As dvc points owner you always have a home resort to plan 11 months out. It Is only 7 months out for non home resorts. With my Marriott weeks, I can and do occasionally book 13 months in advance(12 months if you do not own multiple weeks).

Timeshares do limit a lot of people in regards to flexibility. I guess your plans don't change after you make them. Makes me envious that your plans stay intact and don't need to be changed a year and half after being made. We can't can cancel timeshare stays 48 hours in advance without penalty like a hotel stay. There have been times I have booked stays 12 months in advance and had to change plans 11 months later.

Happy timesharing and hope to meet you one day in person. Next time you stay at marriott koolina or aulani we can try to meet up. Have you tried Hilton grand vacations? The Hilton Hawaiian village and hokulani units are great and location can't be beat. Plus maintenance fees are quiet reasonable compared to Marriott koolina and aulani.

22. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

The correct maintenance fee for 2018 at MKO is over $2200. I know,for you, a couple hundred doesn't matter but I try to post correct numbers for the benefit of others.

MKO was only sold as 2br weeks before points. No 1br units were sold here during that time frame.

23. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

Why are you multiplying times 52 weeks? We do not travel 52 weeks a year?

24. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Sent you a pm. But a few hundred here and there adds up for multi week owners. So I try to be accurate as possible.

25. RussellSun

RussellSun TUG Member

I think we are talking about two different things. One is quoting accurate maintenance fees for time shares. The other is whether spending a couple hundred dollars extra in a vacation week is worth it for the value or luxury one wants.