• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have any Royal owners heard AI rumours for renters and exchangers? [merged]

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the RRowners site and came across the "rumour" that the Royals were considering a mandatory All-Inclusive program for renters and exchangers..

Wouldn't this tend to kill the rental/exchange market?
The Azul Five has this through II now and everyone agrees that the AI fee kills the urge to exchange in, and with all the all inclusive mega-resorts in the area, the I don't see any draw for renters, unless they simply added a surcharge to the rental/exchange fees.

I think this would kill the rental and exchange markets..

Have any of you owners who are more in the loop heard about this??

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm more in the loop - but I certainly haven't heard about that. Also, it might not be consistent with the owners agreement / contract, if said document says something about owners and exchangers having the same rights to enjoy said property, or something like that.

Years ago they tried some kind of all-inclusive deal; something on the order or 3 days' or 5 days' meals for XX pesos.....it didn't fly.

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
it might not be consistent with the owners agreement / contract
Such details have not been known to stop Palace Resorts management (e.g. owners of the Beach Palace's Be Your Host program are enjoying 'improvements' to their program such as their contracted fixed week having become a floating week, depending of course on availability; the optional AI becoming mandatory AI, etc.) but I would be shocked if the Royals ever did something like that.

Years ago they tried some kind of all-inclusive deal; something on the order or 3 days' or 5 days' meals for XX pesos.....it didn't fly.

Just to clarify, even at that it was an optional offering and not a mandatory as per the OP's question.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rumor is true according to 2 reps I talked to on Friday..I'm at royal islander now. I'm a renter..Owners will have an option..everyone else ....mandatory..I can say,as a renter I will not return and I really love it here...I'm not a fan of AI..that being said, I will enjoy the rest of my stay..I'll be here til 3/24.....ps....owners here r not too happy

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard lots of versions, including future purchasers at VCI, only at The Sands and Haciendas, but I have not heard only remters and exchangers. May be ovrraggressive sales guys trying to scare exchangers into buying. VCI does not have space to accommodate that many diners.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
Maybe I'm too practical (or naive) here, but even though it's not part of the operating budget structure, wouldn't they want to run this past the advisory council? While it may not directly impact an owner using their unit in a financial way, it certainly could impact rent-ability and trade-ability. If successful to any extent, it would also require significant changes to the property's restaurant and beverage facilities to accommodate the increased volume of business.

I think the jury's still out on this one. Way out.

Mike

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from AMAZING week at RH. I too, heard this rumor. The way I understood it was that renters will be OBLIGED to do all inclusive but it will be optional for owners. Makes sense to me, why own if you can rent and not have to worry about maintenance fees, etc?

I also heard rumor that 2 companies are in the running for taking over Mayan when contract expires next year, one being Marriott. I am hoping this is true and perhaps we could "trade" or upgrade our Canyon Villa Platinum week for a week in Mexico instead!!!

buceo

Reaction score
A move toward all rentals going to AI clients after 30+ years of being a family oriented timeshare seems a ridiculous shift to me. I understand they are looking at an AI option, but not mandatory for anyone. I for one am very much opposed to AI, as mentioned they don't even have the infrastructure for it. If they want more money to stay on the resort, they need to return a better value at their bars & restaurants. That seemed to work great for them the first 30 years.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too practical (or naive) here, but even though it's not part of the operating budget structure, wouldn't they want to run this past the advisory council? While it may not directly impact an owner using their unit in a financial way, it certainly could impact rent-ability and trade-ability. If successful to any extent, it would also require significant changes to the property's restaurant and beverage facilities to accommodate the increased volume of business.

I think the jury's still out on this one. Way out.

Mike

But as someone (you?) pointed out awhile ago, we don't seem to have any knowledge of or input into what the advisory council is doing.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
But as someone (you?) pointed out awhile ago, we don't seem to have any knowledge of or input into what the advisory council is doing.

Don't think that was me PJ. I've not tried to reach out to an advisory council member.

Mike

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A move toward all rentals going to AI clients after 30+ years of being a family oriented timeshare seems a ridiculous shift to me. I understand they are looking at an AI option, but not mandatory for anyone. I for one am very much opposed to AI, as mentioned they don't even have the infrastructure for it. If they want more money to stay on the resort, they need to return a better value at their bars & restaurants. That seemed to work great for them the first 30 years.

Hmm, we found the prices to be quite reasonable. Then again, we reside in the Northeast where things tend to be more $$$ than other parts of the US.

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the selling points of timeshares is the ability to take your family and have an affordable vacation by having the option to prepare meals in your unit if you want to.
If all renters had to pay an AI fee, it would become quite expensive to bring your family. If this was the case, why would you rent at the Royals?
We own week 17 at the Mayan but because of work schedules, we can't use it so we exchange in.
I would rather see them charge a daily use fee per unit for renters/exchangers than go this route.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, we found the prices to be quite reasonable. Then again, we reside in the Northeast where things tend to be more $$$ than other parts of the US.

Our friends paid $15.38 USD for one gin & tonic at the Royal Hacienda last week. $16 USD for a buffet breakfast. Given the cost of goods, labor, etc. and the fact Mexico is a developing nation, as a Royal Resorts member, I not only find their restaurant and bar prices to be excessive to the extreme, I consider them an insult to one's intelligence.

buceo

Reaction score
For us before owning we reluctantly went to "BBQ night" thinking we're just too tired to go off resort. That meal, that night night struck me as the best value in Cancun. The combination of service, setting (eating in, but on an outdoor patio on the Caribbean), food and price was fantastic really unbeatable I thought. To me it was a "why go off resort to even eat moment".

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our friends paid $15.38 USD for one gin & tonic at the Royal Hacienda last week. $16 USD for a buffet breakfast. Given the cost of goods, labor, etc. and the fact Mexico is a developing nation, as a Royal Resorts member, I not only find their restaurant and bar prices to be excessive to the extreme, I consider them an insult to one's intelligence.

We tended to takde advantage of Happy Hour , 3-6 at the pool bars. 3 margaritas =$12!!!
We also did buffet breakfast at RH and the bill was $20/2 . . not sure what your friend had that was any different.

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an adult I have been know to order the Hamburger meal off the kids menue, Its 1/2 the price! :D

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to go to the buffet breakfast when it was about $8 per person and two of us were kids, but no longer.

However, we find the prices of the express take-out, mexican buffet, happy hour, sandwiches and hamburgers poolside, and the various specials to be very good. If we ate out all the time and got drinks and desserts it'd be a different story....but isn't that true anywhere?

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score

There presently is NO ADVISORY COUNCIL at the Royal Haciendas. As per their 'rules' the resort has to be 80% (?) sold out before the management gives up the reins. It is my understanding that the advisory boards are mostly 'rubber stampers'. If anyone knows differently, I'd like to hear it.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
There presently is NO ADVISORY COUNCIL at the Royal Haciendas. As per their 'rules' the resort has to be 80% (?) sold out before the management gives up the reins. It is my understanding that the advisory boards are mostly 'rubber stampers'. If anyone knows differently, I'd like to hear it.

No, you are absolutely correct. The Royal Resorts Advisory Committee is nothing more than a 'rubber stamp' to RR management. I have many examples, if anyone feels the need to challenge that. Or better yet, why not a current RR Advisory member comment? :wave:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to go to the buffet breakfast when it was about $8 per person and two of us were kids, but no longer.

However, we find the prices of the express take-out, mexican buffet, happy hour, sandwiches and hamburgers poolside, and the various specials to be very good. If we ate out all the time and got drinks and desserts it'd be a different story....but isn't that true anywhere?

I would agree for the most part with express take-out, and shrimp tacos poolside being a fair value, however, $26 for a dinner 'special' leaves me cold. No thanks. Three people and a tip, that comes to $90 - we can buy a good share of groceries for $90.

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
However, we find the prices of the express take-out, mexican buffet, happy hour, sandwiches and hamburgers poolside, and the various specials to be very good.

I agree wholeheartedly. Particularly very tasty and excellent value deals can be obtained from the Lapa Lapa express at the RH - their Mexican (chicken) and Caribbean (grouper) plates for takeout are under $8 USD each! [P.S. we paid 'market' for grouper sandwiches in Florida in December - 'market' turned out to be $16]

I've suggested (via the comment card) that these be made available in the Cancun outlets as well.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree for the most part with express take-out, and shrimp tacos poolside being a fair value, however, $26 for a dinner 'special' leaves me cold. No thanks. Three people and a tip, that comes to $90 - we can buy a good share of groceries for $90.

I completely agree. I'm thinking of the specials in the vicinity of $15, main dish/veg/starch and either soup or salad.

I haven't gotten shrimp tacos poolside - thanks for the idea! I often order a turkey bacon club with avocado on toasted multigrain, which is excellent, for $8.

And the prices at La Palapa at the RM are pretty good :) :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And the prices at La Palapa at the RM are pretty good

I had the Sabrosita off the breakfast menu for the first (and second) time this year ... ¡excellente!

[Sabrosita originates in Northern Mexico and as prepared at the RM's Palapa consists of grilled skirt steak with a sauce of red chilaquiles, cream, cheese and fried onions ... oh, my!!!]

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
To contrast, I had a fabulous lunch downtown Cancun for $8 USD, including beverage. Even better dinner in Playa for $9 USD, including beverage.