• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harbour Lake/Orlando in Winter

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Our family is contemplating a trip to Harbour Lake over New Years this year. Our kids will be 2, 5, and 7, and we will probably skip the big theme parks (too crowded for our taste -- maybe will try them out when the kids are older). We may do some of the less expensive, less crowded parks (LegoLand, SeaWorld, etc?).

Our main hesitation is about the temperature/weather that time of year. I realize Orlando won't be a tropical paradise in January, but will it be warm enough to still enjoy the pools? Are the pools heated to a temperature where kids and adults alike can enjoy them without freezing?

We mainly are looking for an affordable winter trip to someplace warm and laid-back yet kid-friendly. Does Harbour Lake fit the bill? Any different locale or resort you'd recommend instead? (We had considered Crystal Shores, but it would be ~$4000 for a 2-bedroom rental instead of ~$1500 for Harbour Lake. We also like Ocean Pointe, but it is also ~$4000 and we've already traveled there several times in the past few years)

Thanks for any TUG wisdom you all can provide!

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Air temperature varies widely that time of year in Orlando. Could be 70s, could be 40s. I really wouldn’t count on swimming. You would definitely need a heated pool plus and really warm day. Even in south Florida, January is really not swimming weather.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family is contemplating a trip to Harbour Lake over New Years this year. Our kids will be 2, 5, and 7, and we will probably skip the big theme parks (too crowded for our taste -- maybe will try them out when the kids are older). We may do some of the less expensive, less crowded parks (LegoLand, SeaWorld, etc?).

Our main hesitation is about the temperature/weather that time of year. I realize Orlando won't be a tropical paradise in January, but will it be warm enough to still enjoy the pools? Are the pools heated to a temperature where kids and adults alike can enjoy them without freezing?

We mainly are looking for an affordable winter trip to someplace warm and laid-back yet kid-friendly. Does Harbour Lake fit the bill? Any different locale or resort you'd recommend instead? (We had considered Crystal Shores, but it would be ~$4000 for a 2-bedroom rental instead of ~$1500 for Harbour Lake. We also like Ocean Pointe, but it is also ~$4000 and we've already traveled there several times in the past few years)

Thanks for any TUG wisdom you all can provide!
As noted, it could be warm or cool to cold in January, you just never know. Other than weather I think HL is about as kid friendly as it gets for younger kids with the splashed and the pirate pool & playground. But there isn't much else as it's a smaller resort. You might also look at a private rental for Bluegreen's Fountains, they have an indoor pool and a very nice feature pool. But from a weather standpoint you'd be better off going further south in all likelihood or somewhere with an indoor waterpark. Cypress Harbour is a good consideration as well and both HL & CH have exchange availability through II.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are from somewhere up north, you will likely be able to swim. We were at Grande Vista in February when it was in the mid 50s to mid 60s. We endured. All the chairs in the sun were taken. There will be few others in the pool. Just have your pool chairs close with towels ready.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have spent that week in Orlando many times. As others have said....anyone’s guess on the weather temp.

Many of our stays have been at HL. The pools are heated. The water in the slash area is not. They have a decent fenced in playground structure for your kids to play with seating around for you. Mini golf, basketball, billiards and table tennis.

They have lots of inexpensive daily kids activities. Think paint a ceramic.

Out of all the Orlando marriott’s. HL should be your first choice with that age group.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We went last year over New Year's and the temps were in the 80s (record highs). The heated pools were great. Probably around 70 is my cutoff point for pool swimming, depends on how sunny and/or windy it is. Kids don't seem to care as much, they'll shiver with blue lips to play in a pool. :eek:

The theme parks were PACKED, so yeah with a two year old you might not want to spend that kind of money and be wall-to-wall people. I don't think the other parks will be that much less crowded. The one off-brand we like to go to is Fun Spot America, but that gears towards older kids with roller coasters, go carts, etc.

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Thank you all for the great insight! Still haven't made our minds up but feel much more educated about the weather and ideal resorts at this point.

One thing I find interesting about the Orlando resorts over New Year's is that the rental price on Redweek and the 2br Villa price booked directly from Marriott online are about the same (actually a little cheaper through Marriott compared to Redweek listing prices). And both those amounts are just a tiny bit above annual maintenance fees. Seems like the Orlando resorts might make sense as traders, but not at all for primary use.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Thank you all for the great insight! Still haven't made our minds up but feel much more educated about the weather and ideal resorts at this point.

One thing I find interesting about the Orlando resorts over New Year's is that the rental price on Redweek and the 2br Villa price booked directly from Marriott online are about the same (actually a little cheaper through Marriott compared to Redweek listing prices). And both those amounts are just a tiny bit above annual maintenance fees. Seems like the Orlando resorts might make sense as traders, but not at all for primary use.

Just checked Grande Vista 12/28 - 1/4, Redweek just over $2K, Marriott $2700 including taxes. Maintenance fees are around $1400 for a 2 BR there. Generally speaking I would agree that the Orlando resorts are poor renters, but not for New Year's week. I have gold 2 BR weeks there that I trade into Ocean Pointe through Florida club and rent those...much better return.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea World and Legoland are not "less crowded" and on cheaper it will be barely for Legoland. Disney, Universal, and Sea World all cost about the same. Legoland is only 10%-20% cheaper depending on your booking method. Legoland is really geared towards ages 10 and under.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
We live in orlando. New Years is the absolute worst time to visit. It is insanely busy.

That will be made even worse by Star Wars opening at Hollywood Studios. Not going to Disney? Won’t matter. The roads are packed.

I would rather have a tooth pulled with no anesthesia than try to enjoy a vacation here at great time.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I missed the New Years part and only saw "Winter". The absolute worst time of the entire year to visit Orlando is between Christmas and New Years. Avoid it at all costs unless you really like traffic, crowds of people, long lines, and long waits at restaurants.

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I've been talked out of Orlando as our destination for this New Years vacation. The cheap flights were tempting, but it sounds like the pools would be hit or miss depending upon weather, and the parks would be extremely busy while we're looking for a more relaxing vacation with some fun added in...
Will keep looking for alternatives... thanks again!