• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside again...sightseeing and island culture?

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Everyone has been so helpful with questions and planning. It is really appreciated...

So what I am trying to get my arms around is : What do people do? What is there to see and do away from the resort, or does everyone just hang out at the resort the whole time?

We usually like to get out and eat at local spots and get a feel for the true ( less touristy) island life, culture and people....?

What tours or destinations or restaurants do you suggest away from the resort, if any?

Is there anything appropriate or especially interesting for very young children ( 4 and 22 month old twins)?

I heard the beach at atlantis is a little rough...any calmer beaches elsewhere that you would recommend for tots?

Thanks!

Cheryl

Last edited:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
they have the lagoon at the atlantis that is very calm.they have a new water feature for the kids that is incredible. my kids (22& 25) wanted to go on it. the kids will be very happy playing there. harborside also has a kids pool.

go on line and look for excursions. my daughter found some,

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we are on vacation, we are definately the tourist type travelers. Harborside has been the exception so far.

Between all of the different pools, the beach, activities, etc we don't feel the need to leave the resort. We just got back with a group of 12. Not one time did anyone (kids) say there were bored. That in itself is an amazin feat with 4 teenages and 3 young adults.

We do take the ferry into Nassau, usually mid-week. But that is it for leaving the property.

The beach over by the Cove is much better for younger kids. Its suppose to be for Cove guests only, but never had a problem. There are alot of zero entry pools and shallow pools for toddlers. There also several kid pools/play areas too.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
the beach and pool by the cove is open to all guests, past those cabana type things is the start of the coves private pool and beach. there is a guard at all points so one cannot get past.

we ate at the cove one night and the private pool area was open to walk through. they have white lounge chairs. pool is just as nice as all the pools at the atlantis,no different.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Just curious whether with a party of 12 you had trouble getting bracelets for all--last time we were there and had more than 5 of us getting them at a time they wanted to make sure we had two rooms==I know when we bought we were told 10 was OK but has been sounding lately like 9 is it==at least based on some posts here.
I know when we were there last time they only had plates/glasses for 8 between the two rooms in the two bedroom lockoff.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious whether with a party of 12 you had trouble getting bracelets for all--last time we were there and had more than 5 of us getting them at a time they wanted to make sure we had two rooms==I know when we bought we were told 10 was OK but has been sounding lately like 9 is it==at least based on some posts here.
I know when we were there last time they only had plates/glasses for 8 between the two rooms in the two bedroom lockoff.

We had three rooms......a two bedroom l/o, and 2 one bedroom premiums. So there was never an issue with bracelets or towels, just reservations for a party of 12.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those are goregous pictures. Living on the Pacific Ocean, that water looks as calm as bath water (and I bet just as warm)!

Katherine

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
it usually is pretty calm except when we were there in may, there was a riptide alert so i wouldn't let my kids in the water. but it was beautiful.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Anyone ever been to Bahama Hand Prints (www.bahamahandprints.com) to watch them silk screen fabric and buy pretty fabric? It looks like an interesting trip and a good way to buy souveniers for Gram the Quilter.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Atlantis Beach .....

Cove Beach.....
]

wow, thanks. I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Yikes, Atlantis beach is pretty crowded!

Hope we can get into the cove beach....much more our speed!

Thanks for the info EVERYONE and taking the time to reply!

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
That picture was taken the day the Cruise ships came in to port. The rest of the week the beach crowd was 1/2 that many or even less.

How many days a week do the cruise ships typically dock there? I assume this varies depending on the season?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't pay alot of attention to how many and often the cruise ships were in port. I know Friday was a crazy day. We went to Nassau on Tuesday morning and I there were three cruise ships in port that day.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That picture was taken the day the Cruise ships came in to port. The rest of the week the beach crowd was 1/2 that many or even less.

That's a relief....hope it isn't more than a couple days a week! Thanks again.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in Bahamian culture, I highly recommend the People to People program that is run by the Ministry of Tourism. They will match you up with a local family with similar interests to yours, and you will see Nassau through the eyes of a native. The family we were matched up with invited us to their home for a wonderful dinner consisting of all native Bahamian dishes. It was the highlight of our trip. There is no cost to participate, although we did bring a gift to our hostess.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in Bahamian culture, I highly recommend the People to People program that is run by the Ministry of Tourism. They will match you up with a local family with similar interests to yours, and you will see Nassau through the eyes of a native. The family we were matched up with invited us to their home for a wonderful dinner consisting of all native Bahamian dishes. It was the highlight of our trip. There is no cost to participate, although we did bring a gift to our hostess.

We saw that in one of the brochures, but didn't read it until the flight home. We were considering that for an upcoming trip.

We did a similar excursion in Mexico, and visited a Mayan family in thier home. It was such an eye opener, especially for our kids. It was a great experience and one we won't ever forget.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great tip!

Now that is a great tip and a great cultural experience. What a neat program. I will check it out...I wonder if my kids are too young for that ( just the twins, not my 4 year old).

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
http://www.bahamas.com//bahamas/experience/vendors.aspx?sectionid=24386&level=2

Carnival Celebration

Visits Grand Bahama Island every other Friday. Visits Nassau/Paradise Island on Tuesdays, Saturdays and occasionall...
More Details
Carnival Elation

Visits Grand Bahama Island occasionally on Fridays. Visits Nassau/Paradise Island on Wednesdays, Fridays and S...
More Details
Carnival Fascination

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island on Saturdays.
More Details
Carnival Glory

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island on Fridays and Sundays.

More Details
Carnival Legend

Visits Grand Bahama Island the last three Fridays in December.
More Details
Carnival Liberty

Visits Grand Bahama Island every other Monday.
More Details
Carnival Sensation

Visits Grand Bahama Island on Mondays. Visits Nassau/Paradise Island on Tuesdays and Fridays.
More Details
Carnival Valor

Visits Grand Bahama Island occasionally on Thursdays. Visits Nassau/Paradise Island two Mondays per month.
More Details
Celebrity Century

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island occasionally.
More Details
Costa Fortuna

Visits Grand Bahama Island three Fridays in December.
More Details
Costa Mediterranean

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island every 2nd Saturday − December through April.
More Details
Disney Wonder

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island on Mondays and Fridays.
More Details
Explorer of The Seas

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island two times per month − Saturday and Sunday.
More Details
Jewel Of The Seas

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island on Saturdays and every other Sunday.
More Details
MS Aida Aura

Scheduled to visit Nassau/Paradise Island on August 31, 2008.
More Details
Navigator Of The Seas

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island three times per month − two Saturdays and one Sunday.
More Details
Norwegian Dawn

More Details
Norwegian Jewel

More Details
Norwegian Spirit

More Details
Radiance Of The Seas

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island three times per month − Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
More Details
Regal Empress

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island every other day.
More Details
Sovereign Of The Seas

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island three times per month − Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
More Details
Voyager of The Seas

Visits Nassau/Paradise Island two times per month − Tuesday and Saturday.
More Details

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Atlantis allows early checkin (earlier that the listed 4pm)? When we were there a few hours ago, I think we got there at 1pm, and then said we couldn't check in yet. When they finally let is in 3:30pm-ish or so, it was to a room they were repairing, which I doubt was occupied or cleaned earlier that afternoon. They then moved us around to another empty room.

We're going down in October and if they've changed that policy, then I might try to get down there earlier. Otherwise, I'd probably go for a cheaper, late-afternoon arriving flight.

Jeff

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Atlantis allows early checkin (earlier that the listed 4pm)? When we were there a few hours ago, I think we got there at 1pm, and then said we couldn't check in yet. When they finally let is in 3:30pm-ish or so, it was to a room they were repairing, which I doubt was occupied or cleaned earlier that afternoon. They then moved us around to another empty room.

We're going down in October and if they've changed that policy, then I might try to get down there earlier. Otherwise, I'd probably go for a cheaper, late-afternoon arriving flight.

Jeff

Last year we arrived around 1pm and got both of our rooms right away.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year we arrived around 1pm and got both of our rooms right away.

Thanks.

Another question - has anyone done any non-Atlantis activities while staying at Harborside? My wife and I were already there, and I thought for at least part of one day, it might be interesting to done some sightseeing around Nassau, to at least see part of the island. My wife isn't big on walking, but if they had a bus tour that went around the island, maybe stopping at a few places, that could be interesting.

Jeff