• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Haena Park on to have controlled-entry. Visitors per day to go to 900 from 2000

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
https://www.thegardenisland.com/2019/03/01/hawaii-news/out-of-crisis-amazing-opportunity/

The Division of State Parks has set up a system at Haena State Park that aims to cut the number of daily visitors from 2,000 a day to 900.

Carpenter says he thinks the experience will be enhanced for everyone who visits the area.

“We’ll have a variety of methods to accomplish this, including a controlled-entry system through online purchasing of parking slots or a seat on a shuttle,” Carpenter said. “Some of the details are still being worked out as we continue to collaborate with partners and the community on the best ways to manage the flow of people and traffic.”

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'd certainly be willing to purchase a parking slot or a seat on a shuttle to be able to hike the Kalalau Trail again. It's the best hike I've ever done and I only went the first 2 miles.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly be willing to purchase a parking slot or a seat on a shuttle to be able to hike the Kalalau Trail again. It's the best hike I've ever done and I only went the first 2 miles.
If you enjoyed the Kalalau, you should do the Nu'alolo 'Awa'awapuhi Trails. Every bit as good as Kalalau, and more predictable weather.

I used to recommend the a Nu'alolo Trail - Cliff Trail - 'Awa'awapuhi loog as a superior trail to the Kalalau. However,after a washout on the Cliff Trail, the Cliff Trail has now been rerouted. And with the new reroute the most spectacular parts of the Cliff Train have apparently been eliminated.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We did part of the Kalalau Trail several years ago. We did the 2 miles to the beach and then the 2 miles to the waterfall. It was strenuous and took about 8 hours round trip with about a 30 minute stop at the beach and and hour stop at the Waterfall. If you plan on swimming in the pool at the base of the Waterfall wear water shoes or snorkeling booties. There are many sharp rocks. This is good advice for any waterfall pool. Also take lots of water and food. We are hoping it has been repaired. A lot of the steps were 15 to 24 inches. It was more like climbing up and down with multiple fording of the river than a hike. We also like swimming/snorkeling at Ke'e Beach.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you enjoyed the Kalalau, you should do the Nu'alolo 'Awa'awapuhi Trails. Every bit as good as Kalalau, and more predictable weather.

I used to recommend the a Nu'alolo Trail - Cliff Trail - 'Awa'awapuhi loog as a superior trail to the Kalalau. However,after a washout on the Cliff Trail, the Cliff Trail has now been rerouted. And with the new reroute the most spectacular parts of the Cliff Train have apparently been eliminated.
When we were at the Kalalau Lookout last month, we saw some hikers below us. Could they have been on the Nu'alolo 'Awa'awapuhi Trails? If so, it looks like an awesome hike. Five minutes after I took the picture, the hikers were engulfed by a cloud.

52%20hikers%20in%20Kalalau%20Valley-L.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No. The trails I mentioned are on the west side of the island. The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook has a good description of trails in the area.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
No. The trails I mentioned are on the west side of the island. The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook has a good description of trails in the area.
The Kalalau Lookout is on the west side of the island.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Kalalau Lookout is on the west side of the island.
On the NW corner of the island. and the view from the lookout is the NNW. The 'Awa'awapuhi and Nualolo Valleys are two and three vallers further than the Kalalau Valley. And they are not visible from either Kalalau lookout. So the hikers seen were not on the 'Awa'awapuhi.

It's possible that the hikers were on the Honopu Ridge Trail. I think that parts of that trail may be visible from the first Kalalau Valley lookout, and there may be some unofficial spurs from that trail that lead toward the edge of the Kalalau Valler. I'm pretty sure that Honopu Ridge trail is not visible from the lookout at the end of the road. So if that's the lookout where hikers were seen, those were people who were off any kind of established trail.

upload_2019-3-2_12-26-59.png

upload_2019-3-2_12-25-42.png