• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

H-E-B Forever: Why Texas's Favorite Store Is the Cultiest Cult Grocer in America

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
H-E-B Forever: Why Texas's Favorite Store Is the Cultiest Cult Grocer in America
By Priya Krishna/ Longform/ Eater/ eater.com

"The story of H-E-B seems unoriginal, as far as cult grocers go: A family launches a store in a small town a long time ago (in this case, the Butt family, in Kerrville, Texas, in 1905). That store earns a loyal following and expands throughout the region (Texas). It becomes known among its fans for its wildly dedicated employees (many have worked there for 30-plus years), top-notch customer service (only at H-E-B will someone hand you a freshly baked tortilla to snack on while you shop), and unique food products (hatch chile cookies!). Adoring public odes are published about it across the Internet. Long lines form whenever a new location touches down.

This tale could be told of any beloved regional grocery store — your Publixes, your Wegmans, your Harris Teeters — except that San Antonio-based H-E-B exists in a single U.S. state (with 52 stores across the border in Mexico) and is the 12th-largest private company in the country, according to Forbes. What’s the difference between H-E-B and everyone else? Sure, it’s ranked among the top places to work and is pretty ahead-of-the-curve with its mobile checkout (maybe that’s why employees at Amazon suggested that the tech giant acquire H-E-B before it settled on that other Texas grocer).

But, really, H-E-B has just tapped into one of the most powerful cultural forces in existence: Texas pride. H-E-B’s corporate campus — where many of the buildings are made of Texas limestone, and the neoclassical design is quintessential Texas architecture — runs along the San Antonio River Walk, and is built on an old military compound called the San Antonio Arsenal. A Texas landmark, known for being a major supply depot during both world wars, it now supplies Texas to Texans, from Whataburger Fancy Ketchup to Takis rolled tortilla chips to Franklin Barbecue sauce...."

HEB_3.0.png

Richard

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus, it is just a REALLY great grocery store! We discovered it when we were on holidays in Texas a few years ago and the unique stuff you can find in there and at great prices (diablo mustard!) is just amazing.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I love HEB. I can't stand Krogers. Lucky for me they are just on opposite corners right near my house.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Three years ago this coming Spring we stayed at Wyndham La Cascada in San Antonio. It was our first time share stay that we decided to rely on the buses and not rent a car because the resort charges for parking. I called the resort when I was planning our trip because we had never been to San Antonio before and the concierge suggested we take a taxi or Uber from the airport and rent a car for just a day or two once we figured out where we wanted to go that we would need a car. I figured if parking was that big of a deal then they probably had a good bus system for all the people who worked in town and the Riverwalk area. So I looked online for information about the City bus system. It worked out so well we had no qualms about using the buses when we stayed at the new Wyndham Austin resort earlier this year.

When you stand out front of the resort you can see the HEB store, about two blocks away. After we got checked in and unpacked we headed over to get groceries. Think dumb and dumber go shopping. They had nice looking round watermelons that didn't seem too big and I said to my husband let's get one. He said sure, it isn't that big we can carry it back. And in addition to everything else I definitely wanted a bottle of wine too. When we finished our shopping of course we had bought more than we should have considering we had to carry everything back. Between the two of us we could have done it but it wouldn't have been fun. When my husband was picking the bags up to see which ones were the lightest for me to carry I'm realizing how much I really don't want to do this. So I suggested to my husband that he ask a manager if we could leave a driver's license or a cash deposit and use the cart to take our groceries back. The manager said neither was necessary and we could use the cart. It wasn't a huge cart but one of the half sized kind. When we get back to the resort we walk into the lobby with our little grocery cart of stuff and head to the elevators with all the Wyndham employees saying they'd never seen anyone do that before and what a good idea it was. Seriously nobody before us ever thought to do that? We went from feeling like dumb and dumber to thinking we must be geniuses. While I was putting the food away my husband took the cart back. He made it a point to let the manager know he was returning the cart and to thank him again for letting us use it. We liked the store and that really impressed us.

When we stayed in Austin we were smarter and took our empty 22" carry on rolling suitcases with us to the Trader Joe's to pack the groceries in since this store was a farther walk than the HEB store was from La Cascada. When we stayed at the Austin resort it had just opened and there weren't many people there yet. When we headed out to do our shopping with our empty suitcases the employees thought there was something wrong and we were leaving. We explained that we were just going to Trader Joe's to get groceries. That started the employees asking about where we were going or had been every time we came by them. Some of them were there for the resort opening so weren't from the area. Our evening ritual involved talking about restaurants, suggestions about where we could go, what was good at those restaurants, where we did go and what we had for dinner.

One night early on in our stay we returned with a 5 gallon bucket probably half full of donuts from Vodoo Donuts. I had read online about how they put the donuts that haven't sold after a certain number of hours in the buckets and sell the buckets for $10. There were at least 18 donuts in the bucket we got and quite a few of them were the more expensive specialty donuts. We both picked out a couple of donuts we wanted and took all the rest down for the staff to share. They were really excited and that made our comings and goings even more interesting to them. One of the front desk employees made a game out of coming over to hold the door open for us when he saw us coming or going. We were there for 12 days and when more people started arriving they were puzzled and wondered who we were to get that kind of attention and why everyone was asking about where we were going or had been. No one special just entertaining to bored employees.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At least where I am on Long Island there aren't any of these "family" run hometown groceries store. I would kill for a Publix in my neighborhood and this HEB chain seems amazing as well. We specialty type stores that have great food but no hometown charm.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up in California and have lived in Maryland as well as Nevada. Albertson's, Stater Bros, Smith's, Super Fresh - those were the grocery stores I shopped at. When we moved to Maryland from California, it was to a small town that had a couple of basically home-grown grocery stores and that was an adjustment. I really missed my Albertson's, etc. One time we traveled from Maryland to Vegas and we went into a Smith's. I literally started crying because I missed having a "normal" grocery store so much and just stepping into Smith's felt like home.

We now live in Texas and I can vouch for the fabulousness of HEB. These stores are amazing and we just love shopping there. There is one called HEB at Alon in San Antonio - OMG!!! Out-of-this-world.

I can probably put the HEB experience in context a bit for everyone with this story. I was on an airport shuttle in San Antonio, coming back from a trip. There was a young girl sitting next to me chatting on her phone. I wasn't paying too much attention until I heard her say, "Well the first thing I'm going to do while I'm here is go to HEB - just because I CAN!" She went on to say how she hated having to go from store to store to store to get everything she needed since she lived outside Texas now. True story and I can certainly understand how she feels. Hubby and I often joke about how we could never move from Texas because we couldn't do without HEB.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lived in Texas for 22 years and HEB is one of the ONLY things we miss since moving to Washington. The variety of the produce was remakable.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We don't have an HEB close. One of our timeshares have a Brookshire Bros. nearby. Brookshire Brothers is an employee owned company and I really like it.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Love it. Miss it. Wish they were in Va

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
HEB sounds liked a great grocery store chain. I would love to have a Trader Joe’s or a Publix in the Southside VA area.

We have Kroger, Harris Teeter, Wal Mart and Food Lion in Tidewater VA .

There is a Trader Joe’s in Newport News, 32 miles from where we lived and there is a Trader Joe’s in Virginia Beach, 44 miles from where we lived.

There is a Publix now in Williamsburg, 56 miles from where we lived. The next closest Publix stores are in Richmond,VA area.

Last edited:

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
HEB can’t be beat. When we go home we shop there and freeze the meats and bring them back to Va