• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Group Wise Inc

moneyhappy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a timeshare through GroupWise Inc. but I am unsure about the company. I have been researching the company and it is not the best. They want the closing fees and transfer fees up front.
Any thoughts?

Thank you

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have purchased from them and did not have any trouble. I think it was twice. I have read some of the mixed feedback but in my case I didn't encounter any issues. It's been a couple years since my last purchase with them.

When you say they want the closing and transfer up front, do you mean before you see or sign a contract? While that would be "up front", it is fairly standard practice with mass sellers. When mass resellers are selling a timeshare, it is usually ready to be closed in a matter of days if not immediately. They want to make sure the money is good before doing the work because many buyers change their minds.

Some people refer to paying closing and transfer fees as "up front" when they are signing the contract but before resort transfer takes place. This isn't up front. The settlement of money must occur before a deed is recorded which must also be before the resort processes the transfer. Timeshares generally do not have the whole appraisal, inspection, and financing actions that happen between contract and closing. It usually goes straight from contract to sending the deed off so money is due immediately.

Last edited:

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used them and had no issues what so ever. The resort required MF paid 2 years in advance so I paid the resort directly just to be safe.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a timeshare through GroupWise Inc. but I am unsure about the company. I have been researching the company and it is not the best. They want the closing fees and transfer fees up front.
Any thoughts?

Thank you

A family member bought a Group Wise timeshare (for which GW apparently had Power of Attorney from the actual owner of record) a few years ago. Some minor hiccups, but ultimately resolved satisfactorily. I believe that their closing company is in an adjoining PA town and is (...ahem) "very closely associated" with GW.
I'd be comfortable proceeding without much trepidation if it's a timeshare that you really want and the price is right.

Last edited:

ls4569

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also considering buying from GroupWise. Did you proceed, and how did it go?
Lisa

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
They're okay but they've taken to requiring a silly additional piece of paper that slows down transfers and causes me to have another thing to get notarized. Basically they are asking for buyers to sign and get notarized a document that states they are accepting the transfer of ownership. This on top of the deed (before they even start working on the deed). It might make sense if you were getting a $500 gift card to accept a timeshare with free closing but it makes no sense when you're paying $4,000 for a timeshare to hold things up to make sure you'll "accept" the transfer.

dc70

Reaction score
I would not use GroupWise, Inc.

For anyone considering using this company, please think twice. Most of the time you can get rid of the timeshare yourself if you just call the resort. The office manager is extremely unstable and does not know anything about customer service. They are not looking to help you they are looking to take your money. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and do not use this company.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
GroupWise performs two VERY different roles...

For anyone considering using this company, please think twice. Most of the time you can get rid of the timeshare yourself if you just call the resort. The office manager is extremely unstable and does not know anything about customer service. They are not looking to help you they are looking to take your money. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and do not use this company.

I'm certainly not in any way going to defend GroupWise, but it's nonetheless important to set the facts and record straight on their two distinctly different roles:

1. For a would-be "seller", GroupWise is basically a PCC (PostCard Company) that will meet with you and gladly take (too much of) your money as you sign a Power of Attorney for them to (...maybe, maybe not...) sell an unwanted timeshare on your behalf. This is never the best or the smartest (or the least expensive) way to part company with any timeshare ownership, but it is nonetheless one of the two very different roles that GroupWise performs. Their other role is as follows;

2. For a would-be "buyer", if GroupWise already has that above referenced PoA to sell (and then advertises) a particular timeshare, GW can sometimes be a good source for a bargain purchase, although I believe that they require use of their own (...ahem) "affiliated" closer, but at a cost not much out of line with many other closers.

In short, as an owner I would never consider using this (or any other) PCC to attempt to get rid of a timeshare ownership, but there have in fact been two separate successful bargain purchases from GroupWise within my family in recent years. It clearly depends upon which side of the get rid of / buy table you are seated. :shrug:

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I dont know, nor do I care where Groupwise gets their inventory. What i do know is that every time Ive purchased from them the transaction went well and I got what I wanted for a fair price. And as far as using an in house closer... It doesnt matter to me how much they charge as long as the total Im spending seems reasonable to me. My last deal with them was at a negotiated total price that included closing and transfer. I dont care how they account for the money in house, All I know is that Im happy with what Im spending.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a timeshare from them and everything went well.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a transaction with them. I agree with Bigrob, they asked for a notarized statement that we are accepting responsibility for the ongoing MFs-which, with a purchase agreement, seems a little unnecessary. Now they want a copy of a driver's license - they say to "notify the resort"-but it's a points transaction! There is a l-o-n-g (and I mean l-o-n-g) transaction period --which we've agreed to but, even though I have seen an estoppel I get this uneasy feeling they are selling me an ownership they may not have yet! I guess we'll see when (and if) this transaction is complete!:zzz:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> ... they asked for a notarized statement that we are accepting responsibility for the ongoing MFs-which, with a purchase agreement, seems a little unnecessary. <snip>

I have no interest in defending GW or their new practice, but IMnsHO the new practice does actually makes some sense (...even if it seems somewhat redundant).

When you think about it, it's just one additional (and harmless to honest people) means by which to help ensure (not guaranty, but at least help to ensure) that a real person of verifiable identity is not only making the purchase, but also overtly acknowledging, under signature, their knowledge, understanding and acceptance of the contractual responsibilities associated with their imminent purchase. Additionally, GW probably regards the exercise as some additional legal "CYA" for themselves, from the standpoint of potential future liability with the resort (...regardless of the purchase price involved in any particular transaction).

In an era of widespread identity fraud, far too many scammers, bogus LLC's, and ghost Viking Ships sailing the timeshare seas, it frankly would not surprise me if this particular practice becomes more widespread and common among resellers, despite it being inconvenient and / or unwelcome from the buyer point of view. :shrug:

Last edited:

planzfortomorrow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a timeshare from them 3 years ago, off e-bay, and it worked out just fine. Actually, better than what I expected, as the timeshare was supposed to be missing some of the points (already used by the owner) but I ended up getting all of them. A nice, unexpected bonus.

I think most of the e-bay resellers will have mixed reviews. There's just so many transactions, and most for little money. Some issues are just due to simple mistakes (wrong descriptions), each timeshare company has different rules, and the people who currently have the TS have issues. So each transaction is going to be a bit different. And my transaction was 3 years ago, which could be a lifetime w/respect to employee turnover. My biggest issue w/any of the PCC's is that usually the closing people are working several different transactions at the same time, and if there's something that doesn't get completed, they just put it to the side until whatever issue is worked out or they remember to come back to it. Reminds me of the quote, "just because it's important to you, doesn't mean it's important to me".